2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Jmac - I'd avoid this sauna business and all this ice pack business and also anything else you have not tried before.

Just go to YouTube and watch kittens misbehaving and free your mind until race day, you're going on overdrive over there 😂

Also, acai the day before at least to ensure a glorious result.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio I think you're misreading me! This is the most free I've ever felt going into a marathon. I'm not even sure I'm going to feel like getting out of bed the morning of . There is zero stress in my body, more just "is there a way to mitigate the heat". I'm a planner by nature, that is very different than going into overdrive.

Sorry for not putting your race up earlier. I'm adding it now. You don't even have a 10K PR in your handle, is it that bad you don't want to say what it is???

ETA: It looks like we have a marathon, a half marathon, and a 10K scheduled for Sunday. Can someone please run a 5K so we have every distance covered? Thank you!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Caitlin - That's one of the studies I was going to link!

JMac - Here's another couple: (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1748408/)(https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25943655/).
        For before a big race like this probably the best thing would be to have a water bottle filled with frozen water + electrolytes (the salts will push down the freezing temperature of the water). Let it melt some while waiting in a corral and drink what you can of the slush.
        A vest or something requiring a cooler could work better if you have access to that stuff in a vehicle or have someone else close who could manage it for you.

Blast! I should have read all of your reply before typing out the above, as you already beat me to much of that as well.

Something else to consider is a cooling shirt. They're mostly triathlon focused, but there are shirts and arm sleeves that have xylitol in them that generate a cooling effect when exposed to sweat.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Sorry for not putting your race up earlier. I'm adding it now. You don't even have a 10K PR in your handle, is it that bad you don't want to say what it is???

My 10K PR is a time trial 6 and a half years ago, it does not feel relevant anymore. I was literally an entirely different person back then.

I did run faster for a 10k race after that, but the buggers made the course short (36:40 for 9.86km).

On a separate note, I'm now following the advice I gave Steve a while ago and I'm on a self imposed news black out. Today is the first day and it's been so far super hard to do. It's like I'm drawn to news like when you drive by an accident and you just have to look at it.

But I recognize all the damage it's been doing to my well being and health so I must cut it out of my life (at least for a while).

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I was literally an entirely different person back then.

who were you?

Good decision having a "news" aka propaganda blackout.  There's really not much to be gained.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Not an 80%er

who were you?

It was a tongue in cheek comment about how we replace a lot of our cells within 7 years (not all though).

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's amazing how "addicting" the news is now (all obviously by design). Do you think people in the 50s were addicted to get their newspaper in the morning? I doubt it. I've tried to drop as much as I can, but sometimes I see it creeping back in my life. Even major newspapers these days have headlines and stories that really make me roll my eyes.

Also Flavio - as someone who hates that the definition of literally has literally changed in the dictionary to now mean figuratively, that is one of the greatest comebacks I've seen on this because you effectively did use it in its original form. Well done sir.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DavePNW

It's amazing how "addicting" the news is now (all obviously by design). Do you think people in the 50s were addicted to get their newspaper in the morning? I

You don't have to go back that far, but yes. It's just that the news cycle wasn't 24/7, and there weren't so many media outlets. You had the morning paper, larger cities had an evening paper too, and there was the evening TV news. Plenty of people would not miss any of those, but it seemed there was a finite amount of information. Now there are so many outlets needing to fill their time & space that every tiny little thing is made into a big "news" story, and actual news stories get turned into a major global crisis. And nearly all outlets are hyper-partisan now, on one side or the other.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Also Flavio - as someone who hates that the definition of literally has literally changed in the dictionary to now mean figuratively, that is one of the greatest comebacks I've seen on this because you effectively did use it in its original form. Well done sir.

Damn him, he literally sat me down on my ass (to write this).

I downloaded the app to track you (if I wake up at 3am) and now I'm getting a ton of alerts with advice about warm weather running.  It's like if this forum did push notifications.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

It was a tongue in cheek comment about how we replace a lot of our cells within 7 years (not all though).

So are you the same physical person, or the same person in spirit? Or something else entirely? Ship of Theseus

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Here's the tracking link if folks are interested, no need to download another app just to delete it right after the race:

https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NY2022

Bib 591

DavePNW

Here's the tracking link if folks are interested, no need to download another app just to delete it right after the race:

Bib 591

Too late! I already downloaded, I have a bunch of folks to track, you were already on the list.

Dave

need2tri

Bib 591

Good luck JMac! You have done great with the marathon, may be time to just enjoy the event if weather doesn't cooperate.

Running Problem

Problem Child

So are you going for it, or just coasting to another sub-3?

Bib 591

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Flavio Have you tried just reading news only? That's what I do, I refrain from watching any TV news. I consume at my own pace etc. I'm also in general not a huge consumer of news lol (I should change that a little maybe), but figured I'd throw that out there.

JMac Thanks for the link.