2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Flavio: indeed, what I intended to say there was "I see flavio started up weights again, too..." Yeah, weights are good.

Dave: thank you for pacing! I've run with pace groups twice, both times helpful. Also, now you know why I sometimes go with a summary weekly report: a lot of my mileage is 7-9 mile unremarkable stuffola.

Keen: gooood luck! I'm obviously pulling for goals A and X, though inquiring minds really want to know if there was a Del Taco parking lot incident.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen: gooood luck! I'm obviously pulling for goals A and X, though inquiring minds really want to know if there was a Del Taco parking lot incident.

I went back and read Keen's race report from last year to get ready for this weekend...indeed there was a Del Taco puking incident.

There was also a guy who face planted 10 metres from the finish (video on last years thread).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is how you have a sense of humor, A+ work Keen 

Mikkey - Of course I've figured out how to run a marathon. Although "knowing" and "doing" can be quite separate things.

Keen's official goals for CIM:

A) Sub 2:54:13 (10 minute PR)
        B) Sub 2:55
        C) Sub 3:00
        D) PR (sub 3:04:13)
        E) BQ (sub 3:05)
        F) Course PR (sub 4:07:53)
        W) Finish in not a personal worst (sub 5:09:16)
        X) Finish without puking
        Y) Finish after puking
        Z) Finish after puking in the parking lot of a more dignified restaurant than Del Taco

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

You could combine them too.  Like finish with a course PR (F) but after puking (Y) would be a valid combination.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

Half Crazy Crabcakes rule. They just do.

CommanderKeen Lol I like those goals!

Flavio/RP Thanks for the kind words. And lol I'm definitely taking time off and eating lots of bullshit.

zebano

Mikkey - Of course I've figured out how to run a marathon. Although "knowing" and "doing" can be quite separate things.

X) Finish without puking
              Y) Finish after puking
              Z) Finish after puking in the parking lot of a more dignified restaurant than Del Taco

Is Taco Bell more or less dignified than Del Taco? What about Taco Johns? (Asking for a friend of course) Given that you prefer a high protein diet have you considered carrying little street tacos instead of Gus?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

I'd vote for Popeyes Louisiana Chicken but the nearest one is over four miles away.

zebano

Jmac Instead of reading a book on how to train your stomach, why not go do this: https://krispykremechallenge.com/intro I figure after that your stomach will gladly accept any Gu or gu like substance you throw at it.

Popeyes is just gross,, good suggestions Ch17. Although nothing is worse than Long John Silver's in my book. Just the smell of that can make me gag.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I've literally been planning for that joke since Mikkey first tossed out "Z goals".

CH - Yes, there was a Del Taco incident. I had been fighting a side stitch since mile 14, and at mile 21 my stomach just said "no more running". I walked some, sat on a couple curbs, wished I could throw up. Then I get to Del Taco just after mile 24 (course map here, it helps to zoom in and turn on the satellite view) and threw up in the shrubs in the parking lot. Very specifically the ones right next to the drive-through exit.
                    Later, when recanting the story to my wife I couldn't recall the name of this restaurant. Fast forward a day and we're leaving the airport in OKC and as we're driving towards the highway I recognize a Del Taco sign and excitedly point to it and exclaim "That's it! That's the place I threw up in the parking lot!".

Mark - I see goal combinations as being completely valid. And more epic the further apart those goals are. Like F+X being less awesome than B+Y.

Zebano - I haven't eaten at Taco Bell (used to be a regular option when I went to an office for work) and have never eaten at Del Taco, so I can't make a comparison. I'm open for input from anyone who can do that, though.

As per the HM thread: I woke up to the strangest (hopefully) taper-induced thing I've ever encountered. I can't wait for this to go away.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

need2tri

JMac - I've literally been planning for that joke since Mikkey first tossed out "Z goals".

And you delivered it pretty nicely. I laughed and at the same time felt bad 😁.

Good luck! You really deserve a great outcome with all the work you put into your training. I'm rooting for you!

mmerkle

I quote that line from HIMYM all the time! Step 1 start running... there is no step 2. Sometimes I even use it as motivation mid run LOL.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Merkle - Years ago I managed to snag an ID tag for my watchband (before they stopped making them for this line) and after the (redacted) emergency contact info and lack of medical history info, I didn't know what else I should put. That quote made one line.

The many levels of running (especially running NYC) absurdity in that episode greatly amuses me.

ETA:

JMac - Can you retell about the race during which you wore that Gore jacket? How were the temps, rain, etc? How'd you feel in it?

I'm debating bringing a running jacket I found years ago (but have never worn) and possibly tossing it vs bringing the big guns (quite the metaphor given we're talking that I'm going to California).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

X) Finish without puking
                            Y) Finish after puking

C’mon, surely goal F should be further down the chart and more like an S goal?  You need to rethink your goals.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I actually have never worn it in a race. Maybe you're thinking that because I bought it at a race expo.

Having said that, I've worn that jacket in pretty much every condition from light rain to pouring rain, 36 to 50, short runs to long runs.

The jacket performs phenomenally well at normal easy runs. I think once you get to race conditions or long runs, it's very tricky to balance not getting too warm, sweating, and then freezing.

Now, we all have different ways of how warm we would dress. If it wasn't raining at all at mid 40s with light wind, how would you dress? In normal conditions, that's a half zip for me. In a marathon? It's singlet with arm sleeves, potentially chucking those sleeves.

A race though has a lot of things that would factor into whether I'd wear it. Here is what that would be:

1) The colder the better

2) The heavier the rain the better

3) The more likely it rains the entire race the better.

4) The windier the race the better

If it's actually going to be around 45 mid race with lightish rain and light wind (latest forecast I see), that to me says ditch the jacket. It's not cold enough or raining hard enough. You would need rain at a steady 0.05" per hour imo to wear the jacket in that weather at MP, or have 15+ MPH winds. You run a serious risk of overheating, then sweating too much, and then either freezing or entering dehydration. Given the cost of the jacket, I assume you're not willing to toss it on the side of the road too.

If it were me, I'd wear singlet, arm sleeves, and a light long sleeve over the top. If it rains throughout, the extra long sleeve should keep me warm even when wet.

If you wanted perfect marathon conditions for that jacket? Boston 2018. Upper 30s, windy, pouring rain.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If it were me, I'd wear singlet, arm sleeves, and a light long sleeve over the top. If it rains throughout, the extra long sleeve should keep me warm even when wet.

If you wanted perfect marathon conditions for that jacket? Boston 2018. Upper 30s, windy, pouring rain.

I would go singlet, arm sleeves, latex gloves for hands, running hat.  Plus a poncho to wear to the start.  My concern with the long sleeve on top is that it would absorb water and be both chilling and hard to remove.

I see light showers, mid 40s, low winds.  I honestly think that's an A- forecast unless something changes.

And per JMac's point about Boston 2018 - I bought a cycling rain jacket specifically for running in cold windy rain after that race, and it's come in useful many times.  This morning I ran in mid 40s, steady to heavy rain, and brisk winds.  Jacket worked great (paired with shorts, water-proof gardening gloves, and a hat).

I would pack that jacket for this race if I was going, but I wouldn't wear it unless conditions changed.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.