2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Keen: Congratulations on the win and the PR! I know you are capable of much faster but the course and race threw you a fastball. You'll get that 1:21 next time. I too am puzzled how race courses can be so badly marked/measured sometimes.

JMac: I think Cal was a fan of the Hadd tests. Regarding Kenny, you're right; it's been a disappointing streak of not great races or DNS/DNFs since his 2019 Berlin performance. It may be time for him to just hang it up or maybe move to ultras. 

BTW, after my first marathon in 2014 I had a horrible case of runners knee which made running impossible for several months. Ultimately, the strength routine I still use to this day evolved from that (squats, deadlifts, hip ab/adductor band exercises, and more recent additions of the booty sprout (HIGHLY recommend that for the glutes!) and monkey feet based stuff for hip adductor strength). But the thing that oddly helped me get over the pain at the time was just extending the leg with really strong contraction of the quad and holding it; it was a bit painful on the kneecap to do this but afterwards the knee felt much better. I would just do this several times per day, holding it for 10-20 seconds each time.

Cal: can you chime in on what you thought of doing regular Hadd tests and give your thoughts on the Maffetone test and method? You're the person I most wanted to hear from on that topic!

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

BTW, after my first marathon in 2014 I had a horrible case of runners knee which made running impossible for several months. Ultimately, the strength routine I still use to this day evolved from that (squats, deadlifts, hip ab/adductor band exercises, and more recent additions of the booty sprout (HIGHLY recommend that for the glutes!) and monkey feet based stuff for hip adductor strength). But the thing that oddly helped me get over the pain at the time was just extending the leg with really strong contraction of the quad and holding it; it was a bit painful on the kneecap to do this but afterwards the knee felt much better. I would just do this several times per day, holding it for 10-20 seconds each time.

I think you're referring to working the VMO (inside quad muscle) - that's what worked for my runner's knee.

Funny story that I don't think I've shared here before.  Back when I was a very new runner in my mid-30s, I developed runners knee.  So I went to see a local sports orthopedist that also worked with the sports teams at GW University.

He checked me out, including bending my knee a few times, and then mournfully told me that I just wasn't built for running.  My left knee cap was mis-aligned, and if I insisted on running more than about 15-20 miles a week, I'd have absolutely no cartilage in that knee in about 3 years.  I needed to find another sport.

That was over a decade and many many many miles ago, and long before I ran my first marathon.  I keep that guy in mind any time I have a frustrating or depressing doctor conversation or diagnosis.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guys, super helpful! JT - I sent you a PM on the VMO stuff.

And DW - not surprising to hear that. I think we've all learned you gotta find the right doctor, otherwise all of them will tell you to rest or other nonsense like you heard. I just wish I could find a good PT - every time I find one, they move out, and all the others are part of these huge PT chains now that are just factories trying to get you in and out of the practice each appt.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

My favorite scenario where I've run my best is where I keep having one or two guys to run with, then speed up and move past them, just to join another group. That's basically what you're describing. It's very different being in first with not a soul around you AND you know you have a PR locked up.

It's very hard to go for an A goal in that case in my experience.

A bit of practice racing in solo situations and you get the hang of it.  IMO it's easier when there's a PR available because you can focus on racing the clock and trying to extract every second you can.  It's just a case of leaning on the intrinsic motivations when there's no obvious extrinsic ones.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

You guys go to doctors?

Seriously, I haven’t seen mine for anything more than the annual (mandatory) ‘anything new (that I’ll bill you for)’ appointment.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

You guys go to doctors?

Seriously, I haven’t seen mine for anything more than the annual (mandatory) ‘anything new (that I’ll bill you for)’ appointment.

I'm with you. I avoid them at nearly all costs. I don't even go in for check ups. I have a podiatrist friend who is a runner that I trust and there is a PT guy that I can work with as needed too. Other than that, no thanks. They are too busy to really use their talents and abilities on most patients. I find that they tend to follow protocols for diagnosis rather than actually diagnosing the problem.

For instance, there was a convention of sports docs up at Penn State a little while back to address issues related to school level athletics. Part of this addressed shin/tibia related issues (ie shin splints) and how to diagnose and treat them. What they came up with was call everything a "stress fracture" and put the kids in a boot for 6 weeks. Now, they all know that outside of a bone scan (ideal) or MRI (sometimes helpful) there is no way to actually diagnose a stress fracture. Not only that, but real stress fractures are typically 10-12 weeks of healing. BUT... this diagnosis and treatment gets results. Most kids are fine after this, so pragmatically speaking it is the correct diagnosis and treatment. It also gets kids out the door faster. FYI this info is directly from someone who was at that conference.

Personally I am not ok with that approach.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In the ultimate case of irony, I think I injured my knee...doing squats to prevent injuries. I used a squat machine, which I haven't used in 3+ years. Stupid mistake. Anyway, I haven't had runner's knee since I first started running in 2012, but it's fairly similar (i.e. pain going down stairs or running downhill, the pain is right on the edge of the knee cap where the ligament connects in, but a bit more lateral than centered like most runner's knee). We'll see how this week progresses. It doesn't bother me more than a 1 when running flat, 2 when running downhill, so it's still okay for now, but it's too early in the cycle to push through this if it doesn't get better.

The joys of training for a marathon! Get 3 other injuries fixed over the past few months, see a new one pop up.

If anyone has tips for knee injuries, I'll take it. I'm going to do some single leg stuff at home. It feels like almost all knee and hip injuries are the same type of strengthening: single leg squat work, hip strengthening work, etc.

Damn! That’s what happened to me in mid January as I also got injured during an injury prevention session at the gym - in my case it was on the adductor machine. We really need to get the strength training workouts right as well as the running…especially when approaching old age. 

The only time I’ve had any knee pain is when I’ve gone too low on squats and always make sure I never go below 90 degrees. I changed over to a hexagon bar for deadlifts last year and it’s soo much better and safer (for me anyway)…plus there’s less chance of back issues.
                Anyway, hopefully you are back running soon. 👍

Keen - Congrats on the win!  Leading a race with no competition is basically a TT….so in my book a 1:23 is very impressive and there’s no doubt you’d have been faster with a competitive field.  I’m now pretty confident that you’ll go sub 4 in your next marathon. 

ETA - Tiger is back! ⛳️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

How often do you guys do strength work, and how many sets do you do? I'm wondering if I'm just not doing enough. One of the problems I also face is so much of my work at home is single leg isolated that it's a lot of work to get both legs in. Maybe I need free weights at home? It's a lot easier at a gym with free weights to do two legs at once. I just can't imagine doing the routine I have on both legs!

Mikkey - excited for the Masters, but the US Open is by far my favorite major.

Coach - definitely the overly-conservative route that drives me crazy. Sadly most physicians follow the "do no harm" principle too far.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A question for the thread (Waltons included)

What are the 3 best sporting moments that will live in your head forever? (it can be running or any sport)

Mine are…

1. Tyson Fury beating Deontay Wilder in the re match in 2019. He’s my ultimate sporting hero.

2. England beating NZ in the cricket World Cup in 2019 with Ben Stokes being the hero. To anyone not interested in cricket….just watch the last moments on YouTube and you’ll get goose bumps!

3. Tiger Woods winning the 2019 Masters.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

How often do you guys do strength work, and how many sets do you do? I'm wondering if I'm just not doing enough. One of the problems I also face is so much of my work at home is single leg isolated that it's a lot of work to get both legs in. Maybe I need free weights at home? It's a lot easier at a gym with free weights to do two legs at once. I just can't imagine doing the routine I have on both legs!

Mikkey - excited for the Masters, but the US Open is by far my favorite major.

Coach - definitely the overly-conservative route that drives me crazy. Sadly most physicians follow the "do no harm" principle too far.

Strength work is a lot like running work. Back in my college days, Spence referred to is as GAS, Gradual Adaptation to Stress. As runners we struggle enough to gradually adapt our running. We are impatient, we love it too much, we can't help ourselves. We are worse though with strengthening. We either do minimally enough to feel good about ourselves or often too much too quickly.

Sets, reps, weight, etc are all relative. They are relative to your strength/abilities and even relative to the actual lift. Starting off with body weight is often a great idea, but if you aren't eventually adding more reps or ideally more weight then you are removing stress as your body adapts. There are also soft tissues (such as the achilles) that respond well to heavier weights too.

Now, I have a decent amount of experience with lifting and writing plans. However, I hate doing it myself and have way to often skipped it. Ideally a couple times a week, done well, should be enough for most people to help with injury prevention and general strength. But, lifting is not a cure all and even comes with it's own risks. Sticking with a GAS principle should help to get the most out of it.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac 3x10 two times a week during marathon training (TRX, I do the workout it came with). I'D LOVE to do it more frequently BUT I've not made time for it. Even working from home I push it down the list of things to get done. I really wish I wouldn't, but for some reason I just cast it off. Weight training/TRX was really something I enjoyed.

I picked 3x10 because TRX workouts say to do 30 seconds, and tracking time was annoying. 3x10 made it a 30 minute workout.

Body building days was a variety of 3x12-15 and 4x4-5. Depended on the muscle group, and where the workout was scheduled in the days workout.

Details of the workout please. I fail to comprehend how a single leg workout cannot be done for both legs. I also never did just one leg. Squats, leg extensions, lunges, curls, calf raises, and other "body building" workouts.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Coach - I think where I botched it was I did this strength routine at a gym on machines I hadn't touched in over 2 years on a day where I just did a very hard workout. That doesn't follow the GAS principle you outlined. My knee probably just said enough and now is in rough shape. I am very good with GAS with running: but with weights I find I am stuck, mainly because I don't have any sort of free weights at home, which makes it hard to slowly increase weights. That's why I'm interested in people's routines at home and whether they are able to increasing resistance somehow without a bunch of equipment.

RP - Squats are a good example of what I'm talking about (and goes to what coach said): you can't just do no weight squats forever. It's way too easy. Single leg squats are much harder obviously, but that gets to my point.

A question for the thread (Waltons included)

What are the 3 best sporting moments that will live in your head forever? (it can be running or any sport)

Mine are…

1. Tyson Fury beating Deontay Wilder in the re match in 2019. He’s my ultimate sporting hero.

2. England beating NZ in the cricket World Cup in 2019 with Ben Stokes being the hero. To anyone not interested in cricket….just watch the last moments on YouTube and you’ll get goose bumps!

3. Tiger Woods winning the 2019 Masters.

Great question. Here are 3 that come to mind:

1. Game 6 NBA finals 1998. Jordan's final shot to win title #6. I turned down going out with my buddies to the bar to get loaded that night because I had to give this game full attention. An amazing 3 plays in a row by MJ: quick layup, quick steal from the Mailman (the original Mailman ) and the jumper for the lead and eventual win. Just pure Jordan awesomeness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFg6vJkSl8

2. Geb winning his first Olympic gold, 10,000m in 1996. Tergat took off with 2000m to go, trying to burn the kick out of Geb, but to no avail. The call by the BBC announcers is legendary and gives me chills leading up to the last lap every time. Just epic!  Unfortunately the full footage is no longer on Youtube. I still have the full race from the CBC broadcast on VHS tape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P4ytbPLvXM

3. Geb's 12:44 WR in Zurich in 1995. Chopped 11 seconds off the WR. Interesting fun fact is that Daniel Komen was in this race, though he had not reached Geb's level yet and was far back in the pack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LNaTgPnPfI

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I do lower body 2-3 times a week immediately after my hard runs (to maximize the time I can recover before my next hard run).  I do upper body 2 times a week on easy run or pool-run days.  I'll do plyometrics the day before my track workouts.

Lower body is played very much by ear, both in terms of how I feel after the hard running workout, and what is available.  I like to do either split squats or regular barbell squats, but may have to skip if the powercages are all taken, or if a quad is feeling a bit iffy.   I like single leg deadlifts, but will skip if a hamstring feels like I overdid it.

For strength/power stuff for my legs, I generally do 2-5 sets of 3-6 reps each.

On my upper body/core days, I usually do sets of series of exercises - each series will mix an upper body strength exercise, something for the core, and something that is injury prevention.  I try to do at least one "pull" and one "push" and also include at least one exercise that involves either rotation or resisted rotation.  Example:

Series 1:  5 sets of:

a) 8 pull-ups

b) 10 marching planks (hands on a ball while planking, march with each foot)

c) 10 eversion/inversion band exercises for my ankles.

Series 2:  4 sets of:

a) 6 overhead presses of dumbbells at a weight I can just barely manage.

b) 10 ball pikes (I assume the plank position with my hands on the floor and my feet on an exercise ball, and then pike my body to pull the ball in and out)

c) 10 Paloff presses using a cable machine (resisted rotation).

d) 5 single leg deadlifts with very small dumbbells in each hand - the focus here is on getting the glutes to fire.

Jay Dicharry's "Running Rewired" is a really good resource for running-related strengthwork.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Funny story that I don't think I've shared here before.  Back when I was a very new runner in my mid-30s, I developed runners knee.  So I went to see a local sports orthopedist that also worked with the sports teams at GW University.

He checked me out, including bending my knee a few times, and then mournfully told me that I just wasn't built for running.  My left knee cap was mis-aligned, and if I insisted on running more than about 15-20 miles a week, I'd have absolutely no cartilage in that knee in about 3 years.  I needed to find another sport.

That was over a decade and many many many miles ago, and long before I ran my first marathon.  I keep that guy in mind any time I have a frustrating or depressing doctor conversation or diagnosis.

I had a similar experience with a doctor when dealing with the runner's knee back in 2014. He was obese and just laughed at me when I said I wanted to get the knee feeling better so I could run again. His solution? Don't run. I suspect his solution to most problems was to prescribe medication and never suggest exercise.

Within the next year I found a doctor who is a runner himself, and this makes a huge difference. The problem is doctors and PTs who are serious runners are hard to find. But if you can find them they can be very helpful.