2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For sports, one of my best was Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals. It was the night after we got married and my wife and I watched it in some super local bar out on eastern LI as part of our mini-moon (i.e. our real honeymoon was going to be a year later but we wanted to do something). I was a huge LeBron fan (not anymore) and it capped an epic 3-1 comeback vs. the mighty warriors.

The Tiger masters is definitely up there though. It does feel like (just like JT) that a lot of favorite sports moments are almost more about your personal situation than the event itself.

DW - thank you for that write up. I think what I'm seeing is that indeed I don't do enough for how much I'm training. Getting older sucks. I've always been injury prone, but the biggest thing I'm seeing now is my injuries take so much longer to heal and are not just rest a couple of days and head back out there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

1.  UCONN Mens basketball defeats Clemson in the sweet 16 on "the shot" by Tate George. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiW200g1TI

2. Santonio Holmes catch in the 2008 Superbowl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mWHZKYFD9A

3. Red Sox come back from 3-0 to beat the Yankees and go on to win the 2004 WS.

A question for the thread (Waltons included)

What are the 3 best sporting moments that will live in your head forever? (it can be running or any sport)

Mine are…

1. Tyson Fury beating Deontay Wilder in the re match in 2019. He’s my ultimate sporting hero.

2. England beating NZ in the cricket World Cup in 2019 with Ben Stokes being the hero. To anyone not interested in cricket….just watch the last moments on YouTube and you’ll get goose bumps!

3. Tiger Woods winning the 2019 Masters.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

How often do you guys do strength work, and how many sets do you do? I'm wondering if I'm just not doing enough. One of the problems I also face is so much of my work at home is single leg isolated that it's a lot of work to get both legs in. Maybe I need free weights at home? It's a lot easier at a gym with free weights to do two legs at once. I just can't imagine doing the routine I have on both legs!

I don't do any strength work.  I tried to do the gym during the peak of winter but only made 2 or 3 treadmill runs.  No weights.  I know I should but the motivation is just not there.  Funny I can head out for a 3 hour run in 20 degree weather but forget about a gym workout.... 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Series 1:  5 sets of:

a) 8 pull-ups

b) 10 marching planks (hands on a ball while planking, march with each foot)

c) 10 eversion/inversion band exercises for my ankles.

Series 2:  4 sets of:

a) 6 overhead presses of dumbbells at a weight I can just barely manage.

b) 10 ball pikes (I assume the plank position with my hands on the floor and my feet on an exercise ball, and then pike my body to pull the ball in and out)

c) 10 Paloff presses using a cable machine (resisted rotation).

d) 5 single leg deadlifts with very small dumbbells in each hand - the focus here is on getting the glutes to fire.

This is a very interesting routine.

I'm shocked however and incredibly jealous of how many pull-ups you can do. SHOCKED!

Jmac - You perhaps just did too much too soon. You can do squats holding a kettlebell on your chest, even 10kg is enough if you're just starting to add weights. It's one of those things "you will progress on it when you progress on it".

I find that airplanes (single leg deadlifts) and split squats give me a LOT of bang for buck even with holding light weights by the sides with arms extended.

Regardless of routine, and just like running, it's better to be under-trained but healthy and consistent. 2x a week 25 to 30 minutes is already excellent.

Even this simple routine below can provide great benefits. You can tweak it to do more reps, or fewer reps but using ankle weights, etc.

Perform immediately after you have completed your run and complete each exercise in order. Try to achieve recommended reps or until you reach fatigue.

1. Straight Leg Raises (Right) 2x25 reps
          2. Straight Leg Raises (Left) 2x25 reps
          3. Sidelying Hip Abduction (Right) 2x25 reps
          4. Sidelying Hip Abduction (Left) 2x25 reps
          5. Single Leg Bridges (Right) 2x25 reps
          6. Single Leg Bridges (Left) 2x25 reps
          7. Single Leg Squats (Right) 2x25 reps
          8. Single Leg Squats (Left) 2x25 reps
          9. Single Leg Heel Raises (Right) 2x25 reps
          10. Single Leg Heel Raises (Left) 2x25 reps
          11. Front Plank Hold 2x60 sec
          12. Side Plank Hold (Right) 2x60 sec
          13. Side Plank Hold (Left) 2x60 sec

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't do any strength work.  I tried to do the gym during the peak of winter but only made 2 or 3 treadmill runs.  No weights.  I know I should but the motivation is just not there.  Funny I can head out for a 3 hour run in 20 degree weather but forget about a gym workout.... 

I'll take an 18 mile run with 14 miles at MP over 20 minutes of strength work. Runners are weird people

Flavio - great stuff. This is probably a question for everyone, but in general, how are you deciding among all the different squat like movements you can do? There are single leg box squats (I like those), lunges, slider lunges, Bulgarian split squat, split squats, etc. So many choices!

Additionally, I think you sort of proved I may need to just pick up some weights.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This is probably a question for everyone, but in general, how are you deciding among all the different squat like movements you can do? There are single leg box squats (I like those), lunges, slider lunges, Bulgarian split squat, split squats, etc. So many choices!

Do them all!  Not all at once, but rotate between them each session, and mix it up.

Flavio - in full disclosure, I use "pull-up" to refer to those done with a parallel grip (hands facing each other).  If I swap grips so that my hands are facing away from me, I hit a limit at 5 per set, and the last one is ugly with a bit of kipping.

Other note: I firmly believe that weight training becomes much more important as you get older, and is more important for women than men.    All of the upper body stuff that I do is not to benefit my running - it's for overall muscle preservation and bone density.  And a bit of ego - I like being a woman of my age who can do pull-ups and "real" push-ups and use the real dumbbells.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Congrats on the win!  Leading a race with no competition is basically a TT….so in my book a 1:23 is very impressive and there’s no doubt you’d have been faster with a competitive field.  I’m now pretty confident that you’ll go sub 4 in your next marathon. 

Gold.  I'll celebrate big when Keen goes sub 3 though.

I like how one of your favourite sporting moments is a game England didn't win, and the hero was a New Zealander...you're a Kiwi at heart, I can tell.

1.  2011 Rugby World Cup Final.  I'd flown back from Melbourne to scatter my Dad's ashes and me and 2 mates got tickets 3 days before the match for $1143 each.  One of my mates spent 20 minutes pacing on the concourse (approx. $300 worth of ticket value).  Not a great game but a great win after so many heartbreaks.  When the French walked forward during the haka, just knew it was going to be epic.  RWC 2011 Haka

2.  2015 Cricket World Cup Semi-Final.  5 off 2, Grant Elliott (yep, born in South Africa) hits it out of the park.

3.  Liverpool vs Arsenal 1989, watch as a kid on a Saturday morning.  Arsenal needed to win by 2 goals away at Liverpool.  Unheard of.  1-0 into the final minute.  Thomas charging through the midfield!

Thomas charging through the MIDFIELD

I've chosen dramatic moments involving my teams to make it easier.  Winning the world test championship is obviously up there too.  And about 100 moments from the 2004 ALCS.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

First you guys see doctors, next you watch sports ball. I watched about 10 minutes of a hockey game for "my favorite nhl team" last night because I didn't want to work in the garage, and my imaginary friends weren't online. It's almost comical when I hear parents say "oh we'll have the game/race on." I honestly think "wait, seriously? Like, it's THAT important to you?" I guess I'd never invite someone over and say "don't worry, Mad Max will be on. The good one. With Mel Gibson."

RP - Squats are a good example of what I'm talking about (and goes to what coach said): you can't just do no weight squats forever. It's way too easy. Single leg squats are much harder obviously, but that gets to my point.

JMac Your a dad. Use your daughter. It's how I gained lots of strength during 2019. Long runs, workouts and daily runs don't matter. "oh you just did an 18 miler dad? that's cool. I want you to throw me in the air, or swim in the deep end of the pool while I jump in." I assume you're not attempting to do 135 lb (~61kg) squats in the gym. I will say TRX was hard for me and it's just some bands. Water is about 8.34 lbs/ gallon. Curl some milk jugs.

expensive adjustable dumb bells Great for working out. Sucks for storing them. Because moving 50 pounds sucks.

Locally available Heavier.

TRX Pretty much what I have. I paid less, and thankfully it's much easier to store them. Every month they spend in storage makes them cheaper than a month at the gym. They've paid for themselves by now.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/spo/d/staten-island-bowflex-sport/7461641934.html

I wanted one of these for a long time. Including when I rented a room. I probably could have made it work, and they're almost always available at this price.

You could also volunteer for yard work. I bet lifting wheelbarrows and sacks of sand/concrete or pavers would get you stronger.

EDIT: Kettlebells could be another option for you.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

A question for the thread (Waltons included)

What are the 3 best sporting moments that will live in your head forever? (it can be running or any sport)

Oh I tend to chip in regardless of whether or not there's an invitation 

Good question though.  I went for moments involving my teams because it's just way more exciting.

1.  Rugby League World Cup Final 2008.  As usual the Aussies are massive favourites to win, especially playing at home.  NZ take the lead early in the second half though.  With 20 minutes to go, Billy Slater (who has tormented us for years) fields a routine kick inside his own half, but then has a complete brain explosion when he sees big Manu Vatuvei (now a convicted drug dealer) bearing down on him, throws the ball to no one, Benji Marshall picks it up and scores to put NZ clear and the Kiwis kick on from there to win 34-20.

2. Stanley Cup Final, Game 4, 2008.  The Red Wings are 2-1 up, and the Penguins have said it's a "must win" game.  Detroit go 2-1 ahead early in the third period, but then have to kill off over a minute playing 5 on 3. Zetterberg (my favourite Red Wing not named Yzerman), one of the gutsiest players ever to put on the jersey, plays a massive defensive shift and stops Sidney Crosby (who everyone outside Pittsburgh hates) from scoring a simple tap-in goal. The Wings go on to win and then take the Stanley Cup in Game 6.  And I go back to studying for CFA level 2.

3. Gold Coast Marathon, 2019. Despite windy, warm weather and his shoelace coming undone halfway through, Zane Robertson breaks the NZ national record for the marathon and knocks seven seconds off the mark his twin brother Jake had set several months earlier.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

How often do you guys do strength work, and how many sets do you do? I'm wondering if I'm just not doing enough. One of the problems I also face is so much of my work at home is single leg isolated that it's a lot of work to get both legs in. Maybe I need free weights at home? It's a lot easier at a gym with free weights to do two legs at once. I just can't imagine doing the routine I have on both legs!

Don't use machines if you can avoid it.  They're good for bodybuilders trying to isolate muscles to make them huge.  They're not as good for athletes trying to make their bodies stronger in functional ways.

If you get a good mixture of functional exercises, you don't need to be doing it super often, like coach and RP said.  A couple of times a week is plenty.  Squats, deadlifts, calf raises, lunges, push ups / bench press, chin ups, shoulder press.  Split it in half and do upper body and lower body each 1x week if you like.

And planks. Always do planks.

And RP's suggestion of yard work honestly is pretty valid.  You wanna get functionally strong?  Go lug pavers or bags of heavy stuff around for an hour or two after you've done a 2 hour long run.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - given how many years you've been running, you should definitely take the "a PR is a PR," *snip*

Dude... Did you just call me "old" in runner speak??

I do zero strength work these days. It seems well enough to keep me healthy. I know I should, though, but just haven't been able to drag myself to a gym. I'd really need a coach to help with this stuff as I have zero experience with it, but if I'm paying for a coach a running coach wins out over a strength coach.
                        I thought my wife and I were the only ones to use the term "mini-moon".

JT - The greatest DNS/DNFer in distance running history, you mean?

DWave - While I didn't know where second place was, I did know he was well behind me. At ~mile 2 a cop in an intersection joked "it looks like you might win this one" because he couldn't see anyone behind me. I definitely would have preferred company.
                        How're you doing after those latest injections?

Clever - I've run an oddly high number of races (with different timing companies) that have had issues similar to this. Quite frustrating. It also makes me question how well the course was laid out. I'm not one to think courses are short/long in general, but everyone's watches seemed to show at least .2 mi long (I used stryd for distance, which has been within meters of true distance for all my recent races). Funny thing is, people running the 5k showed the same discrepancy. That course was the same as the HM except for the long out-and-back on the river trail, which was from about mile 2 to mile 12.5.

Brook - We share the same philosophy regarding doctors.

Mikkey - Damn. That hurts a bit. But I chuckled anyway.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

How're you doing after those latest injections?

hahahaha

Thread:  "Doctors suck.  I never see doctors.  Don't see doctors."

Also thread: "So how are you doing with your superfancy medical back injections?"

Thanks for asking Smile  The injections themselves were easy peasy, just like the last time.  I'm less sore this time than I was last time - in fact I'm not sore at all at the injection sites.  My mid and upper back is a bit achy-  I'm not sure there's any significance to that fact.

I'm supposed to take the day off afterwards, so I stayed on the couch today.  It really didn't feel like I needed to, but if that's what I'm supposed to do, I'll do it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

"And RP's suggestion of yard work honestly is pretty valid.  You wanna get functionally strong?  Go lug pavers or bags of heavy stuff around for an hour or two after you've done a 2 hour long run."

Big nooooope from me. Yard work destroys my hamstrings and back. I hire a neighborhood kid now.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Marky_Mark_17

"And RP's suggestion of yard work honestly is pretty valid.  You wanna get functionally strong?  Go lug pavers or bags of heavy stuff around for an hour or two after you've done a 2 hour long run."

Big nooooope from me. Yard work destroys my hamstrings and back. I hire a neighborhood kid now.

OK, I was probably being a bit tongue in cheek there.  But it is good for functional strength.  Just maybe not so much if you've already spent  2 hours running.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark - Stevey Y....ahhh the MAN! I happened to do an indoor track meet in college at his alma mater. They had a shrine to him! Any fan of Steve Yzerman gets a few points in my book!

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)