2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

There are benefits of being cheap and stubborn stupid are you don’t have doctors to tell you chores are considered cross training and should be avoided. Before I know it you’ll tell me I need to stretch before a run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Stevey Y....ahhh the MAN! I happened to do an indoor track meet in college at his alma mater. They had a shrine to him! Any fan of Steve Yzerman gets a few points in my book!

Nice!! The Captain!! Absolute champion and set the Red Wings up for that 2008 win by bringing on such a good core of players in Lidstrom, Datysuk and Zetterberg.  Now he's got his work cut out trying to fix 7 or 8 years of Ken Holland making terrible deals and undoing all that good work.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Gold.  I'll celebrate big when Keen goes sub 3 though.

I like how one of your favourite sporting moments is a game England didn't win, and the hero was a New Zealander...you're a Kiwi at heart, I can tell.

Yep!  I see Ben Stokes as half Brit/half Kiwi and love that he’s so modest and down to earth. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

1.  UCONN Mens basketball defeats Clemson in the sweet 16 on "the shot" by Tate George. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiW200g1TI

2. Santonio Holmes catch in the 2008 Superbowl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mWHZKYFD9A

3. Red Sox come back from 3-0 to beat the Yankees and go on to win the 2004 WS.

I’ve got no idea what you’re talking about…and that’s why I’ll never move to America. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

As an adherent to stats and probability I shouldn’t love it so much…but that Dave Roberts’ steal. Beautiful.

’don’t let us win today’

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Baseball and rugby should never be classed as a sport.

Nice!! The Captain!! Absolute champion and set the Red Wings up for that 2008 win by bringing on such a good core of players in Lidstrom, Datysuk and Zetterberg.  Now he's got his work cut out trying to fix 7 or 8 years of Ken Holland making terrible deals and undoing all that good work.

Absolutely. They have been a mess for a few years now. Hoping some of these young guys can build up a solid core to start over.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

zebano

A question for the thread (Waltons included)

What are the 3 best sporting moments that will live in your head forever? (it can be running or any sport)

1991. Game 6, "We'll see you Tomorrow Night!" Pucket's leaping catch at the wall and subsequent walk off homer.

1991 - Jack Morris Game 7. 10 innings, no runs. Twins win 1-0 in 10.

1997 - flu (food poisoning?) game. Jordan just looked miserable all game and destroyed the Jazz anyway.

It's hard to leave Franky V and the '87 twins off this list but Morris is just more iconic in my mind.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Within the next year I found a doctor who is a runner himself, and this makes a huge difference. The problem is doctors and PTs who are serious runners are hard to find. But if you can find them they can be very helpful.

My doc is a former Cat 3 bike racer and it makes all the difference in the world. He has looked at me a couple times and said "I'd like you to stop running for 2 weeks, but that won't happen, so why don't you cut out speed work, and if you still have pain then back off the durations until you don't have pain and meanwhile get in the gym and do all the exercises your many referrals to PT have given you and if nothing else do squats, deadlifts, pushups and pullups". #ShotsFired

PTs are almost all the same, they just try different stuff until something works and it's damn expensive. For me it's ART and Dry Needling both provide 2-3 weeks of relief so I found a Chiropractor that does the same stuff and it's way cheaper. Unfortunately I just found out the with my new insurance this year, he's now out of network .

JMac, I don't reliably do any strength work except some banded stuff for my hips (sideways shuffles, skaters, monster walks) which I do after workouts and long runs. Given that my right hamstring issue just returned a few weeks ago I guess it's time to do more focused hamstring work as well. If you check my logs in last years Walton's threads, you'll see I was lifting Dec/Jan of 21/22 reliably but like most times I've done that I just can't sustain the time needed to get into the gym. My coworkers at work make fun of me because in addition to my standing desk, I'll occasionally be seen doing walking 1  leg deadlifts or pistol squats.

Damn DW that's still a solid amount of pullups regardless of grip. You could have told me you're doing chin ups and they're still impressive.

Fishy that red socks win over the Yanks was pretty sweet but also slightly bitter as the Twins had continued to be cheap and I got to watch David Ortiz be an absolute Monster on the biggest stage.

eek edited Cat 2 -> Cat 3. Big mistake, still super fast.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Jmac - What Darkwave said. Do a couple of them each time, vary from time to time.

For leg strength work weights are necessary. For upper body you can use different variations that are much harder, from simpler stuff like pike pushups to very advanced stuff like muscle ups and planches. But weights also help.

I used to do at home but recently I've been going to a gym that is like 300m (whatever that is in yards, it's still pretty close) from my place.

People who don't do strength training - Whatever floats your boat haha, but it does help a lot, once you start seeing the benefits it's hard to go back.

DW - Any woman at any age who can do pull-ups is doing pretty well. You’re doing better than most males and they have all that testosterone and lower body fat to help.

I’m currently doing about 3 sets of 5 reps, could probably do 2 more sets, not sure. I’m stronger at push exercises comparatively though.

I fully agree with you, strength training is not only to run faster and remain injury free, it helps with literally everything in your life, especially shedding muscle mass as you age.

RP - I do a check up every 1 or 2 years. I’ve seen way too many people die young of preventable causes, if feels like a small price to pay.

I just do blood work.

HUGE CAVEAT - In places outside of the US, things like blood work, doctor consultations, MRI scans etc do not bankrupt you. 

I’ve just had a dental tooth filling done for 29 euros. MRI of my cervical was 200 euros, a doctor visit is 70 to 80 euros and physiotherapy sessions cost only 40 euros.

And I could’ve paid even less if I had health insurance or a lot of patience to do it in the public health care system.

For the record, I also detest going to doctors, and I've walked out more than one when they were late.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

I’ve got no idea what you’re talking about…and that’s why I’ll never move to America. 

How about this one? I was only 10 but I remember it.

Miracle on ice- February 1980 USA defeats Russia in, perhaps, the greatest underdog story ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88

PS- Maybe this will entice CAL to comment....

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

Fishy that red socks win over the Yanks was pretty sweet but also slightly bitter as the Twins had continued to be cheap and I got to watch David Ortiz be an absolute Monster on the biggest stage.

Baseball has ruined itself by creating a 2 tiered system of Haves and Have-nots. It was like that then and has only worsened to a point that I rarely watch the sport any more.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

zebano

Baseball has ruined itself by creating a 2 tiered system of Haves and Have-nots. It was like that then and has only worsened to a point that I rarely watch the sport any more.

ugg yes they have. Oh well, I have phased watching sport out of my life with the exception of pro basketball which is greatly reduced. Nowadays I occasionally hear the twins lost the 15th post season game in a row or some bull like that and just sigh.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This is Flávio’s favourite sporting image….

Running Problem

Problem Child

Can racecar driving, cricket, and golf to the list of "sports we don't recognize as sports anymore" while we're at it?

Flavio I have been going for an annual exam just to have a track record of "what is normal" in case something comes up. Other than that, I jus stay home and stay safe. Now I go for my kids which is typically less waiting around than I remember as a kid, except for the  ER visits. THOSE are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more waiting than they're worth. I don't know what my last cavity cost which tells me it didn't bankrupt me. I have cheap insurance through work (government employee, so possibly better than most). I find floss and toothpaste to be affordable. I don't use them, but they're affordable.

fishy I'm kind of over the "miracle on ice" thing. The same 2 guys are on TV during the Olympics as if the rest of the team never mattered, and there is no possible way it would ever be created again because everyone in the Olympics is a professional now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22