2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The Self-Absorbed Has-Beens: what a great name for a cover band.

If we put Cal in a wheelchair, just imagine how fast he could get CIM done! Just push him at the start and he'd have to do 0 work to get a moose mug.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

If we put Cal in a wheelchair, just imagine how fast he could get CIM done! Just push him at the start and he'd have to do 0 work to get a moose mug.

No way Jose you get another CIM "discussion" - as RP already said - I am "self-absorbed has-been" who, unfortunately for RP, still, probably, can give him a run for his money (even being almost in a wheel chair according to him). But let's not destroy his non-self-absorbed state which he is still in after CIM. 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Do I get to stand on the side and shake the tambourine?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

With the new SAHB band…I’m happy to play bass, JT on guitar, Cal on drums as he needs to be seated, RP on the tambourine, MattM on keyboards…but who is up for being the lead singer?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

With the new SAHB band…I’m happy to play bass, JT on guitar, Cal on drums as he needs to be seated, RP on the tambourine, MattM on keyboards…but who is up for being the lead singer?

Apparently I don't get to shake the tambourine.  Tough crowd.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Apparently I don't get to shake the tambourine.  Tough crowd.

Oops sorry, I meant to say you on tambourine as of course RP is still in his prime Smile

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Sure, we'll see who will be seated in April 2023. 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cal Vs Mikkey at Boston 2023.

What is your gut feeling…who will win?

Hmm....If the race was next Monday and you both were (hypothetically) rested and ready to go, I give Cal the edge based on both of your recent races and his knowledge/familiarity with the course.

But the real showdown is next year and that was your question. Here are some pros/cons for each of you and my conclusion.

Cal:

+ knows the course well, has run it many times

- Excluding downhill 2:50, has not run as fast as Mikkey has in recent years (since 2019)

Mikkey:

+ ran 2:50 3 years ago (London)

- newby to the course

Prediction: Mikkey edges out Cal.

*Assumption is that both will train seriously for it (no cocaine or booze for Mikkey) and reach the starting line injury free.

2:52:16 (2018)

HermosaBoy

I must say I enjoy sitting back and watching the trash talking. Gotta remember my popcorn...

Decent week last week with a 25k "race" on Saturday. A very hill course that I don't think I have ever really done a 100% race, but it is a good indicator of fitness. Based on the results of the race, I think I have about 12 seconds per mile to make up before October...

Date ▲ Distance Duration Pace Notes
                      4/4/2022 2.2 mi 17:10 7:49  
                      4/5/2022 3.7 mi 28:06:00 7:35  
                      4/6/2022 7.1 mi 50:10:00 7:02  
                      4/7/2022 2.1 mi 16:18 7:46  
                      4/8/2022 5.5 mi 43:55:00 8:00  
                      4/9/2022 18.1 mi 2:04:19 6:52  The Race
                      4/10/2022 6.2 mi 50:03:00 8:04  
                        45.0 mi 5:30:01    

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mr MattM

Do we need to audition?  I had a tough time figuring out what to submit, so I'll just post this one.  Not too many play this one on solo acoustic.... Hope I make the cut!

Going To California

Edit:  If this doesn't get me in the band, can I try again?

be curious; not judgmental

Going To California

Hey MattyM!

I once ran a good 5K listening to Kashmir on a loop...

I'm too decrepit to race anymore, but I can still jog a bit.  Also, I could learn to play cowbells if needed.

cheers!

- rovatti

Running Problem

Problem Child

Way to get the reference/hint. He’d he at the finish line waiting to tel me how he wants to see me do it at his age.  Again. Maybe he’s pump the brakes and ride along side me for a few miles after the bridge.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Do we need to audition?  I had a tough time figuring out what to submit, so I'll just post this one.  Not too many play this one on solo acoustic.... Hope I make the cut!

Going To California

I didn’t like it.  I…LOVED IT!

Fishyone

Going To California

You're in!!

If Cal wasn't already voted lead singer and front-man you'd be it.

PS I like how the thread has matched my training so nicely.......Taper madness everywhere

PPS- DW is absolutely on the tambourines!!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015)