2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP- If you can ignore the pain in the ass parts of it and accept the fact that you will be waiting for a longer amount of time than you will be running you'll be fine!  Athletes village is a TRIP.....I was a deadhead in the 80s and it reminded me of a dead show without all of the weed and acid!!  Just an amazing amount of runnergeeks.

I'm starting in wave 2 so you'll be leaving earlier than me. Message me if you want to meet up with one of your imaginary friends before you head down to the start.

After working so hard to get into the Boston Marathon I've decided to sit this one, my very first acceptance, out. So Wave 1 Corral 6 will have one DNS due 100% to the BAA not offering any roll over or refund after requiring my credit card information just to apply for the lottery. $220 mistake made on my behalf.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

After working so hard to get into the Boston Marathon I've decided to sit this one, my very first acceptance, out. So Wave 1 Corral 6 will have one DNS due 100% to the BAA not offering any roll over or refund after requiring my credit card information just to apply for the lottery. $220 mistake made on my behalf.

Oh Man sorry to hear it, that sucks!  These big races really have us by the short hairs. they know that the demand is so high.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Mr MattM

Why?  It's not like you shouldn't have already had all arrangements made and paid for.

I thought about bailing on my Boston race because I knew I wouldn't do well.  I ran it anyway because it's Boston.

be curious; not judgmental

HermosaBoy

Sorry to hear this RP!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

CalBears

MIKKEY- I have a Boston Jacket story. My first Boston was the year after the bombing and it was the first year that they didn't have a bag drop at the start in Hopkinton.  I was in the village talking to this other runner who was decked out in all brand new gear from the expo.  It was only right before the race that he found out he couldn't drop it.....he was devastated I felt so bad.

It was my first Boston too - I still have that deadly bright neon orange jacket Smile But that also was my best Boston - 2:50: xx (and it was pretty warm, btw Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

After working so hard to get into the Boston Marathon I've decided to sit this one, my very first acceptance, out. ... due 100% to the BAA not offering any roll over or refund after requiring my credit card information just to apply for the lottery. $220 mistake made on my behalf.

RP - you've been dreaming of Boston for years and now this?   You're mental!!!

(ETA: personally, I was happy to qualify for Boston, and never felt the urge to actually run it.... maybe we're on the same page?)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Aim to quality for Berlin or NYC as that’s a much better goal.

Don't strive to be an above average runner, strive to be a GREAT runner.

RP - I thought you were running Boston 2023.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Hmm....If the race was next Monday and you both were (hypothetically) rested and ready to go, I give Cal the edge based on both of your recent races and his knowledge/familiarity with the course.

But the real showdown is next year and that was your question. Here are some pros/cons for each of you and my conclusion.

Cal:

+ knows the course well, has run it many times

- Excluding downhill 2:50, has not run as fast as Mikkey has in recent years (since 2019)

Mikkey:

+ ran 2:50 3 years ago (London)

- newby to the course

Prediction: Mikkey edges out Cal.

*Assumption is that both will train seriously for it (no cocaine or booze for Mikkey) and reach the starting line injury free.

Interesting.... I appreciate your opinion and liked it - seriously - it takes some guts to make a prediction. Just for fun, I decided to compare Mikkey's and mine best marathon times starting from 2011 (don't forget that Mikkey was already sub 3 marathoner by the time I started to run in 2011 - we are exactly the same age, Mikkey younger than me by 8 months).

Year  Mikkey CalBears (non-CIM / CIM)

2:55

3:23 / none
                  2012  2:58  3:12 / 3:06
                  2013  2:51  2:53 / 2:53
                  2014  2:55  2:50 / 2:51
                  2015  2:54  2:59 / 2:48
                  2016  2:51  2:51 / none
                  2017  2:58  none / 2:59
                  2018  3:06  none / 3:02
                  2019  2:50  none / 2:59
                  2021  3:10  3:00 / 3:02 (2:50 at Revel race)
                  2022  3:06  3:04 / none

Before I've done the table above, I actually thought I was faster than Mikkey by more than it turned out to be. So, yeah, it's going to be close. My feeling tells me that if we both are serious about training, that would mean my weeklies are by 15-20 miles longer than Mikkey's. If I am training at the same mileage as Mikkey, then he will probably has an edge - I think, he is a little bit more talented as a runner than me. But my feeling is that I can handle higher mileage better than him. But that gets back to the motivation part.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - you've been dreaming of Boston for years and now this?   You're mental!!!

(ETA: personally, I was happy to qualify for Boston, and never felt the urge to actually run it.... maybe we're on the same page?)

Yeah. Child numero dos changed it up. I told my wife before CIM if I snagged another solid qualifier, and come on it me and CIM, I’d run 2023 and we could make an adult weekend/trip of it. If I DIDN’T get another qualifier (sub-3) I’d run 2022 as a very quick weekend. Youngest child is something like 14 months old right now and grandparents just wouldn’t be good with a child this young.  I wouldn’t even trust them with a 23 month old.

edit

Hermosa DON’T feel bad. I have a faster time for 2023. Plus it currently APPEARS more people from here will be at 2023 which is more enjoyable for me (meeting my online friends).

MattM I actually had a room reserved for Boston one year. $25/ night because I reserved so far ahead. 2020 hit and before the race was canceled my room was. I wasn’t expecting AirBNB to actually make the guy honor the rate I paid. He would have said the room wasn’t available since he probably couldn’t jack the rates to $200/night for race weekend. It isn’t about doing well, I think. It’s more about finally getting to the parade I’d heard so much about, and made such a big goal that it literally lead the charge in me becoming the runner I am today, just to say I’ve done it and be one of the billions of people who have.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Interesting.... I appreciate your opinion and liked it - seriously - it takes some guts to make a prediction. Just for fun, I decided to compare Mikkey's and mine best marathon times starting from 2011 (don't forget that Mikkey was already sub 3 marathoner by the time I started to run in 2011 - we are exactly the same age, Mikkey younger than me by 8 months).

Year  Mikkey CalBears (non-CIM / CIM)

2:55

3:23 / none
                      2012  2:58  3:12 / 3:06
                      2013  2:51  2:53 / 2:53
                      2014  2:55  2:50 / 2:51
                      2015  2:54  2:59 / 2:48
                      2016  2:51  2:51 / none
                      2017  2:58  none / 2:59
                      2018  3:06  none / 3:02
                      2019  2:50  none / 2:59
                      2021  3:10  3:00 / 3:02 (2:50 at Revel race)
                      2022  3:06  3:04 / none

Before I've done the table above, I actually thought I was faster than Mikkey by more than it turned out to be. So, yeah, it's going to be close. My feeling tells me that if we both are serious about training, that would mean my weeklies are by 15-20 miles longer than Mikkey's. If I am training at the same mileage as Mikkey, then he will probably has an edge - I think, he is a little bit more talented as a runner than me. But my feeling is that I can handle higher mileage better than him. But that gets back to the motivation part.

Thanks for making the table, this is really interesting data! I didn't realize Mikkey was so consistently quick for so long, though I knew he had a long streak of sub 3 at London. Also you have been quicker the past 2 years, I should have taken that into account, though Mikkey was kind of injured during that time. I think it is a pretty close call. So much depends on motivation and staying injury free. For both of those, you probably have the edge; Mikkey has had some injury issues lately but seems like you mostly avoid injuries. And your dedication once you start is pretty strong. I do agree with you, that Mikkey is probably naturally more talented; just from the fact he can quickly be in shape after several months of doing nothing. Such a lucky asshole.  So, putting it all together, I give Mikkey a slight edge, but the big assumption is he really trains seriously and doesn't get injured. If either of those conditions is even slightly not met, you will beat him.

2:52:16 (2018)

mmerkle

Best of luck to everyone running Boston tomorrow!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Swinging by to wish the Boston runners great races!   Stay conservative until you crest Heartbreak, and then run everyone down in the final miles.

(this is much easier said than done).

My week:

60 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and ~1500 meters swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                          T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 6x800 in 3:24, 3:17, 3:14, 3:12, 3:14, 3:13. Recoveries were 1 lap jogged in between 2:2x and 2:4x.. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: Streaming yoga and 11 miles easy (9:41) plus drills and strides.
                          Th: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                          F: 1 miles, including a four mile tempo on the roads in 27:46 (7:05/7:01/6:55/6:45). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.
                          Sa: 11 miles very easy (9:33) and upper body weights/core.
                          Su: 14 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:49, next 4 averaging 8:17, and next 5 averaging 7:24 (and then a cooldown to make it 15 total). Followed with leg strength work and 500 meters recovery swimming.

Steady but slow improvement.  I was entered in the BAA 5K, but decided to skip - too much going on, and I felt that three 5Ks in four weeks was a bit much.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Checking in to say good luck to all you Boston runners tomorrow. I'll be glued to the screen watching the elites but it's cool "knowing"
                            several others who are racing their butts off as well. Best of luck and race SMART!

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - I thought you said earlier this year you weren't running Boston so I was confused by all the Boston talk lately.

Mr Matt - we always accept SAHBs back into this group. Keep sticking your head in!

Mikkey vs. Cal - same as JT, I didn't realize what a streak Mikkey had! That's some great running. Really hard to tell who would win. I hope you both make it to the race, it will be great to watch.

DW - has anyone actually run Boston and felt good at the top of Heartbreak, unless they really sandbagged it?

Coach - how are you feeling?

I had a pretty good comeback week from my runner's knee. It's a very bizarre injury at this point. I put in a 21 mile long run on Sunday and it only bothered me for the first half a mile. However, I still can't leave my knee bent more for more than 10 minutes, otherwise it will be in a lot of pain. I also still can't go down stairs.

This injury has been a great test case of what we always talk about in these forums: when do you shut it down, and when can you start it back up? I stuck with the rules I always espouse to others: if the pain is 2/10 or less, you can run through it. Coming back was a bit harder though, because it definitely was achy on that first run back. However, I read an interesting article on Outside that talked about runner's knee being an injury that has no obvious structural damage and that you should actually run through the pain, as long as it doesn't alter your gait or cause significant pain. It also goes to something Darkwave sent out last year about the psychology of pain and how you need to run through things. Of course - this doesn't apply to some injuries, eg stress fractures, torn muscles/ligaments, etc. Running through my stress reaction last year would not have led to anything good.

Anyway, that was a long winded way of saying that if I just followed the rules doctors would have said (yes, those damn doctors), I probably would have had to shut this down for weeks if not months given how much it hurts around the house. This pain is not going away any time soon, but clearly if I got through a 70+ mile week and a 20+ mile long run AND actually feel better as the week went on, it's something I can run through.

The week did start off with a bad MP run, but that's just because my legs were so incredibly sore from 3 easy days of running after 6 days off. Just had 0 pop in them. Funny how that works. I also decided I need to slow down my easy runs just a bit for now. It's such a good self-control measure: if you bomb a workout, slow down your easy runs for the next few days because clearly you are not recovering in time.

Weekly for period: From: 04/11/2022 To 04/17/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                              in ft
                              04/11 Best time of the year 8.23 13.25 01:02:42 07:37 04:44 344
                              04/12 Evening Run 10.39 16.72 01:19:25 07:39 04:45 410
                              04/13 The Chads have ended their winter hibernation 🏃 10.25 16.49 01:17:49 07:36 04:43 141
                              04/14 2E + 5M +7E 12.69 20.43 01:35:10 07:30 04:39 463
                              04/16 Afternoon Run 10.50 16.89 01:22:17 07:50 04:52 420
                              04/17 Go down 1 flight of stairs? Very painful. 20+ miles? Totally fine. Knees are weird. 20.81 33.48 02:29:32 07:11 04:28 272

Total distance: 72.87mi

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

The week did start off with a bad MP run, but that's just because my legs were so incredibly sore from 3 easy days of running after 6 days off. Just had 0 pop in them. Funny how that works. I also decided I need to slow down my easy runs just a bit for now. It's such a good self-control measure: if you bomb a workout, slow down your easy runs for the next few days because clearly you are not recovering in time.

Oh man I had this experience too. Took a few days off for influenza and the first 3 days back the legs simply had nothing. Such a brutal feeling. Did you do any strides to kick start the muscle tension?

Good luck at Boston Fishy

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)