2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh man I had this experience too. Took a few days off for influenza and the first 3 days back the legs simply had nothing. Such a brutal feeling. Did you do any strides to kick start the muscle tension?

It's so bizarre. You take 6 days off, and your legs do feel great that first run, at least for most of the run. But the second runs feels like you ran a race the day before! I can't believe how sore your quads get. It just didn't get any better until I took a day off, nothing could kick start them. I knew in that 2 mile warmup for my MP run that I had no shot at completing my 10 @ MP.

It's very hard when you take about a week off because you lose almost no real fitness, but your legs do lose the ability to take the pounding. Almost like you did 10 sets of wall sits the day before. You just have to realize that it's just a very short term phenomena and that you will overcome quickly.

Put another way: the things that take the longest to build are the last thing you'll lose (e.g. endurance). However, the opposite it true: the things that are fastest to build are the first thing you will lose (top-end speed and strength).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jhud running a great paced race for sneaking in under 3:00.

Fishy had a super quick second 5K, but looks like he's reigned it back in (very smart racing!). He's on pace for a 3:06.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jhud through the half at 1:29:33

Fishy through the half at 1:34:26.

ETA

Jhud through 35K on 3:03 pace, he's slowed a bit through the hills

Fishy through 30K on 3:11 pace, so he's slowed a bit as well

I wonder how the wind is out there today, because otherwise, it's picture perfect weather for a marathon.

Speed Surplus

Go Jhud and Fishy!

Couldn't muster another week of build as I was on vacation last week, but I didn't fall too far behind. Got in some decent runs despite horrid weather - intermittent hail and snow (!) and, of course, rain.

A few of these runs I was absolutely shocked at my heart rate for the pace - and the pace felt slow, too. Wednesday in particular - the weather was cold and wet at the start and I felt like I had low motivation. Ended up averaging 7:50/mile at 134 AHR.

I did kick up the effort toward the end of a few of these to make sure my HRM was actually working and that I could still rev my heart into the 140s. For Friday's 10 miler I closed in 6:51 (20 feet of gain in that mile) at 152 AHR for that mile - was hoping for faster, but my overall was 7:37 with 135 AHR.

Weekly for period: From: 04/11/2022 To 04/17/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
          in ft
          04/12 Hailing and freezing 🥶 6.01 9.67 00:47:21 07:53 04:54 118
          04/13 Weather extremely nasty at the start, improved throughout 7.01 11.27 00:54:49 07:49 04:52 171
          04/14 Not-miserable weather! #blessed 8.01 12.89 01:03:09 07:53 04:54 197
          04/15 Mostly easy, fast finish 10.01 16.11 01:16:14 07:37 04:44 223
          04/16 Recovery 6.01 9.67 00:49:16 08:12 05:06 135
          04/17 Headwind and hills and then the reverse 13.11 21.10 01:43:58 07:56 04:56 397

Total distance: 50.16mi

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JHud finished in 3:05:31

Fishy finished in 3:20:08.

Good job to the Boson runners and looking forward to hearing about the race!

Mr MattM

JHud finished in 3:05:31

Fishy finished in 3:20:08.

Good job to the Boson runners and looking forward to hearing about the race!

Excellent!

be curious; not judgmental

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Looks like a tough day for many, despite the great temps.   A friend who was there told me that there was a significant headwind.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like a tough day for many, despite the great temps.   A friend who was there told me that there was a significant headwind.

I was wondering about that, it looks like the elites were okay, at least at the start. But the wind was supposed to switch and get worse, so I imagine runners like Fishy in wave 2 didn't fare as well.

It'll be good to hear from more folks about the wind.

HermosaBoy

The two athletes that I coached had a rough day. One dropped at Heartbreak and the other struggled to the finish 10+ minutes behind goal time.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Jmac -  So achilles had been an off and on kinda thing the last couple weeks, but something has really been bothering me consistently with my left quad. Even with the time off it wasn't any better and often was just getting worse. So I shut it all down. I told my wife not to let me run for 2 weeks. I am hoping that will do it and I can start building back up. To add insult to the injury, I got Covid this week. Seems like I am over it after a few days of feeling like a pinata at a major league bday party. Lets hope I don't end up with some crazy complication or anything.

I hate losing the fitness I built up over the last few months. I suppose I can build even slower next time and hope to be able to run for more than a few months at a time. We will see.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A local running mate of mine ran a 2:56 PR and said that the sunny weather helped make a great day and described the Bostonians as fantastically noisy and passionate supporters!

Fishy and Jhud - Hope you enjoyed the race/experience and look forward to reading all about it. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

There was a decent headwind at times,in all honesty though I don't think it made a massive difference,there were so many people around it would be diluted a lot unless you constantly ran at the side of the field.

I was wondering about that, it looks like the elites were okay, at least at the start. But the wind was supposed to switch and get worse, so I imagine runners like Fishy in wave 2 didn't fare as well.

It'll be good to hear from more folks about the wind.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Fishyone

Hi All--Short vervsion is I sucked,.......I lost but I will run again.

Long Verson:

Friday lunch run(easy 5 miles) which is my last planned run.  Seemed slugglish but fine. Later that evening I out on the porch but when I sit down it feels like my tailbone is bruised.  Weird but I think nothing of it for the rest of the evening.

Saturday wake up a couple times because sleeping on my back isn't comfortable.  Dose up on ibuprofin and pains doable for normal actities. I developed a dull ache right by my tailbone.  It was an injury I've never experienced.  It almost felt like a bone bruise on the left side of my tailbone.  The reason I specify this area as I have a weak lower back and this is never a place where I've had a problem

Sunday- repeat....there is definitely something there and I'm starting to get a little nervous but I can walk around and even jog without an issue so I'm Hoping one more day of babying it and with some Ibuprofin no problem. go to bed early and hope.

2:30 AM wake up and back pain is there.  I can move around so I pee take 800mg and fall back asleep.

6-7:30 Dull throb but doable.  I take tylenol, I eat, get ready and go the race day thing,.

No Issues at the villiage or start.  It was SUPER_SUPER congested for miles 1-6 and I  finally felt like I could drop the hammer...........but there wan no hammer??

Every time I accelerated to 7 min miles I felt a deep feeling like a knot in my left quad that went down to the foot.  It also felt like I just could not get the legs to trun over quickly.  I was'nt exhausted, overheated or gasssed the legs just wouldnt trun.

From the newton hills to the finish I could do the 8 shuffle no problem at all but there was no second gear.

Even in other races I've fucked up I've always had multiple gears.

Lookout Pedro looks liket Today Boston made me it's "Bitch..........."

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There was a decent headwind at times,in all honesty though I don't think it made a massive difference,there were so many people around it would be diluted a lot unless you constantly ran at the side of the field.

I wonder how many people have a "bad" day at Boston? The course is set up perfectly for failure: fast downhills to start and tough uphill late in the race.

It would be interesting to see percentage of positive splits by WMM course. I wonder how something like London and Berlin compare to NYC and Boston.

ETA: Fishy - very weird, sounds like the real taper madness got to you. I hope it's just that and not something serious. Very odd that you had no second gear at all. I think you tapered pretty well from what I saw.

Fishyone

OH and my Garmin choose to die at mile 19........

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015)