Comrades 2008 Up Run (Read 597 times)

Hi Folks, Not sure how many of you plan on running Comrades this Sunday, but thought I'd put it out there. I'm going for my first one, and getting scared/nervous etc. For those of you who don't know, Comrades is a 87km race in South Africa. The race alternates in direction from Durban to Pietermaritzburg every year. This year is an "Up" run, so it's from Durban to Pietermaritzburg. Not only is this race long, it has some huge hills. Some 54km of the race are up hill... Anyone else running this historic race?

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

No, but it's on my running wish-list. I can't wait to run it vicariously through you if you write up a race report afterwards. Best of luck and hope you make it before the cut off. From what I've read - it can be disappointing. Unless you are the first one to miss the cut off, of course.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

kcam

I see you're in somewhat of a 'taper'! Only a 10mler on Saturday. I've read lots about the Comrades (Bruce Fordyce and all the legends) and if I were to ever want to do ultras, Comrades would be a must-do. I had noticed some of your log entries and wondered what race you were training for - now I know! Best of luck to you (and please do write up a report of your experience)!
          Thanks guys, sheesh, I'm getting nervous. I'll definitely do a race report, and post it here and on my blog (http://www.comradesblog.com). Campisi, definitely in a taper. This what I love about RunningAhead, people see your logs, and wonder... What race are you training for?

Thanks guys, sheesh, I'm getting nervous. I'll definitely do a race report, and post it here and on my blog (http://www.comradesblog.com). Campisi, definitely in a taper. This what I love about RunningAhead, people see your logs, and wonder... What race are you training for?

Whoah, apologies for the multiple posts... african internet connection Smile

Go Pre!

I'd like to run it on a down year. With rollerblades. Best of luck, enjoy, and by all means give us a report as soon as you get back!
                    best of luck, I look forward to a report! I ran into a guy at a local running store who was talking about training for it. I'm with daddyo, a down year sounds more fun! Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

The voice of mile 18

no sorry but am extremely jealous. that is an incredible event. good luck and have fun

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

kcam

The public logs are the genius of RA, in my opinion! Incredible tool to be able to see the amount and type of training that people put in to achieve their goals, very motivating. Thanks go out to everyone who makes their log public.

A Saucy Wench

Good luck! I dont even aspire to comrades.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks Everyone. To those who say the down sounds more fun, it's not. Quite a few runners, actually prefer the up run. While it's a little harder on the day, the down is apparantly very hard on legs. It's very heavy on the body, and one feels it for quite a few days after. But thanks again, I hope to have a postive race report next week!

kcam

I see you did 8:16:47, with nice placement in the field. ... and that one-liner in your log doesn't count as the RR. We'll need a few more details of your agony! Quality - 10, Effort - 10! The perfect run. Well done!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good luck! I dont even aspire to comrades.
                                Ditto, but I'm fascinated by the experience for those who do. Andrew, that is some achievement! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay