Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

superspike113

Honorary Old

Sherlock, Dexter, and The Killing are good (and dark) and you might enjoy if you liked Breaking Bad.

Agreed that Arrested Development is dynamite, and I have a soft spot for the silliness of Trailer Park Boys, especially the incredible John Dunsworth as drunken horrorshow/trailer park supervisor Jim Lahey.

This. And Workaholics.   Not really ones that you wrap your mind around though.

Watching Suits on Amazon prime right now, its good so far.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

BeeRunB

Mad Men season 6 is now on Netflix! Nice boost. I've  checked out Eureka. Looks like a lot of fun. Sort of like Picket Fences meets the whimsical side of The X-files.  At least 3 seasons there, too. I watched Psych--funny. That lead actor and Dule Hill from West Wing are hilarious. Corbin Bernsen has returned! I saw Harry Hamlin in a Mad Men episode last night. The L.A. Law crew are still up and working. Remember when that show was a thing?

Imminent Catastrophe

The Wire -- on Amazon, but you gotta pay.

Proposition Joe!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ultramarathon/triathlete

Another vote for The Americans...and Justified.

I just started watching Justified this week after a lot of people recommended it.  Honestly, I thought it was about Justin Timberlake (hence I had not seen it, I was avoiding it).  I told my wife this, embarrassingly, and she admitted she thought so too, so at least I wasn't the only one.

Anyway, we've watched the first 2 or 3 episodes.  I can tell it's going to be good (and there are 5 seasons!).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Best Present Ever

after every single news outlet wrote about the latest development in The Good Wife, I watched one episode, secretly hopeful that I'd like it.  I'll admit it can be hard to pick a show in the middle, but what do people like about this one?  There was a courthouse shooting where a defendant got & used a gun from the holster of a sheriff's deputy resulting in a death.  Then another lawyer went to the hospital, learned that the victim  was dead, made multiple phone calls, then went back to her law firm where no one yet knew there had been a courthouse shooting.  Then we saw scenes of the deputy being question in a hallway with a crowd around him, and various people wandered around the active crime scene.  I got stuck on how they didn't explain how this dude just reached over a got the gun out of the holster.  I wonder if the writers understand that actual law enforcement holsters aren't like the toy ones?  And for real, not one single lawyer or law firm employee knew about the shooting at the courthouse?  And really too many other problems to list.

Homicide occasionally had scenes that drove me a bit nuts (WHY did they keep waving the actual physical evidence from the Adena Watson case around?  you can't just fling it hither and yon, even for dramatic effect in interrogations) but was mostly awesome on the details.  And has lines that are quoted in my house, still ("G, how long I been murder PO-lice?")  Maybe living in Baltimore for a time helped with that show, plus my family's insatiable appetite for the gritty details of police investigations and court process.

Law and Order we watch for the HI-larity (depraved indifference murder is WAY under utilized in real life, ykwim?) Every other show that revolves around lawyers or police  is just too violent, too terrible (or not terrible enough a la Law & Order) to be watched, in my opinion.

Hip Redux

Has anyone mentioned The League yet?

We're binge watching it now.   It's not one to watch around the children.  Or some adults, for that matter.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Has anyone mentioned The League yet?

We're binge watching it now.   It's not one to watch around the children.  Or some adults, for that matter.

I didn't think I would like it because it was about Fantasy football, but its only a plotline for the characters to interact with one another. Its really, really funny. I think Rafi and Taco are my favorite characters, and gotta love hating on Andre.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

Hip Redux

I didn't think I would like it because it was about Fantasy football, but its only a plotline for the characters to interact with one another. Its really, really funny. I think Rafi and Taco are my favorite characters, and gotta love hating on Andre.

Same here.  So many funny scenes.

Birdwell

Re; The Good Wife

I've been sucked into watching it from the get go (by my wife, it was not my choice) and it's turned into a "can't miss" for me.

If you can see it from the start, it really develops characters and stories in a way few network shows do anymore.

I don't have cable and I don't watch stuff online or through netflix, so I may not be as "sophisticated" as others are, but that's my opinion.

(Of course, "Bob's Burgers" is one of my other favorite shows, so that may say more about me)

Feeling the growl again

I just started watching Justified this week after a lot of people recommended it.  Honestly, I thought it was about Justin Timberlake (hence I had not seen it, I was avoiding it).  I told my wife this, embarrassingly, and she admitted she thought so too, so at least I wasn't the only one.

Anyway, we've watched the first 2 or 3 episodes.  I can tell it's going to be good (and there are 5 seasons!).

Wish I'd seen them all, it didn't hit my radar until season 4 (Drew Thompson season).  I like that each season has one major plot line which goes throughout, but lasts for only that season (unlike some recent series where if you haven't seen the entire series you never quite "get it").

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

What, no Bronies coming out of the woodwork in the running community?!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BeeRunB

Implausibility can be a trance-wrecker. I like Homeland, but I loved it until they started doing implausible scenes like Damien Lewis text from a top secret ar room to the guy they were about to assassinate on the screen they were watching. Texting from a secure room like that? I don't mind implausibility if the universe has been set up that way. Like Buffy.

after every single news outlet wrote about the latest development in The Good Wife, I watched one episode, secretly hopeful that I'd like it.  I'll admit it can be hard to pick a show in the middle, but what do people like about this one?  There was a courthouse shooting where a defendant got & used a gun from the holster of a sheriff's deputy resulting in a death.  Then another lawyer went to the hospital, learned that the victim  was dead, made multiple phone calls, then went back to her law firm where no one yet knew there had been a courthouse shooting.  Then we saw scenes of the deputy being question in a hallway with a crowd around him, and various people wandered around the active crime scene.  I got stuck on how they didn't explain how this dude just reached over a got the gun out of the holster.  I wonder if the writers understand that actual law enforcement holsters aren't like the toy ones?  And for real, not one single lawyer or law firm employee knew about the shooting at the courthouse?  And really too many other problems to list.

Homicide occasionally had scenes that drove me a bit nuts (WHY did they keep waving the actual physical evidence from the Adena Watson case around?  you can't just fling it hither and yon, even for dramatic effect in interrogations) but was mostly awesome on the details.  And has lines that are quoted in my house, still ("G, how long I been murder PO-lice?")  Maybe living in Baltimore for a time helped with that show, plus my family's insatiable appetite for the gritty details of police investigations and court process.

Law and Order we watch for the HI-larity (depraved indifference murder is WAY under utilized in real life, ykwim?) Every other show that revolves around lawyers or police  is just too violent, too terrible (or not terrible enough a la Law & Order) to be watched, in my opinion.

Implausibility can be a trance-wrecker. I like Homeland, but I loved it until they started doing implausible scenes like Damien Lewis text from a top secret ar room to the guy they were about to assassinate on the screen they were watching. Texting from a secure room like that? I don't mind implausibility if the universe has been set up that way. Like Buffy.

THAT was when Homeland became implausible for you? I'm still addicted despite the holes in the plot. I can only be in to one show at a time and its Homeland right now.

Hell Lost was implausible right from the Pilot and that didn't stop me.

Runners run

Mad Men season 6 is now on Netflix! Nice boost. I've  checked out Eureka. Looks like a lot of fun. Sort of like Picket Fences meets the whimsical side of The X-files.  At least 3 seasons there, too. I watched Psych--funny. That lead actor and Dule Hill from West Wing are hilarious. Corbin Bernsen has returned! I saw Harry Hamlin in a Mad Men episode last night. The L.A. Law crew are still up and working. Remember when that show was a thing?

I'm glad you're giving Eureka a chance!  There are 5 seasons (seasons 4 and 5 both have two half seasons). I have the series on DVD and have watched it at least a half dozen times. Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]