Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention AMC's Hell on Wheels.  It has some really interesting (The Swede!!), likable, flawed characters.  Beautiful backdrops, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

THAT was when Homeland became implausible for you? I'm still addicted despite the holes in the plot. I can only be in to one show at a time and its Homeland right now.

Hell Lost was implausible right from the Pilot and that didn't stop me.

There were more implausible moments much earlier. That was the one that just came to mind. Still, the show is worth watching, just for Claire Danes tour-de-force performance. Man, she's awesome. I like Damien Lewis' work, especially in Band Of Brothers. Lost sets up a unique universe, fantasy/mystery. It could go to any fantastical place it wanted to really, and it did.   With a show like Homeland, which seems to be a known universe, I think it has to have its feet on the ground a little more, and be as smart as possible, and not have blatant implausibilities. Speaking of great pilots, Lost is one of the great ones. Had me from the getgo. One of those shows that is even better the second time through. The Sopranos had me from the opening credits!

Joann Y

Speaking of great pilots, Lost is one of the great ones. Had me from the getgo. One of those shows that is even better the second time through.

Oof. I loved Lost but I don't think there is any way in hell I would sit through the entire show a second time. That was a one time deal for me.

BeeRunB

Oof. I loved Lost but I don't think there is any way in hell I would sit through the entire show a second time. That was a one time deal for me.

You start to see things you miss the first time through that are pretty cool. There are a few series I've gone through twice, I usually wait at a least a few years. I find that as I get older, things I've seen before are much fresher when I watch them again! The beauty of an aging brain. Not counting the shows I watched when I was kid on endless reruns, I've rewatched in full The Sopranos, Lost, Friday Night Lights,  Seinfeld, Mad Men, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.   I'm on a second run through Buffy (someone gave me the DVD's as a gift a few years ago).  The Sopranos is worth it, just to see how they set up that finale long before, and you realize what really happened at the end.

BeeRunB

And Northern Exposure. Great show up until Joel leaves.

Love this "running "  ending.

SheCan

I 2nd the Hell on Wheels.  Very good show.

Vikings

Bored to Death (Oh I do love a comedy that really makes me laugh)

Beyond the Wormhole

The Borgias

Tutors

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Oh, and Ray Donovan with Liev Schreiber.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

The Plodder

+1 Northern Exposure

Watched a fair bit years ago.

Hoping someone takes the hint and gets me the complete box set soon!

BeeRunB

+1 Northern Exposure

Watched a fair bit years ago.

Hoping someone takes the hint and gets me the complete box set soon!

Thanks for the hint. About time you dropped one, I never know what to get you.

BeeRunB

I realized that Breaking Bad, Dexter, Homeland, and The Americans are really all the same show. They're all working off this particular formula for creating tension--and on the highest levels. They're whack-a-mole shows. Loose ends and holes in their master plans keep popping up, threatening them with getting caught, and we the audience sit and squirm with each one, until they're  tied up, plugged, and whacked down. Then another one comes along. Dramadies of errors. I feel the same exact way when I watch each of these shows: freaking Tense.

Then there's Mad Men, where you can kick back and enjoy, without too much of that. Just finished season 6. It was good. Strange. Trippy. Don looks squarer and squarer every year, and no matter how hard he tries to keep them in line, women keep getting more and more powerful and expressive and free.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

IThen there's Mad Men, where you can kick back and enjoy, without too much of that. Just finished season 6. It was good. Strange. Trippy. Don looks squarer and squarer every year, and no matter how hard he tries to keep them in line, women keep getting more and more powerful and expressive and free.

Yeah, such a gift that show is to the literature of television.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

tomatolover

just started watching Veep on HBO go…i'm kinda in love

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Portlandia

BeeRunB

Portlandia

I visit that one once in awhile. Funny. I've been to Portland a few times and it's cool seeing some of the sights.

Started on The League at lunch break today. Good start---Mark Duplass! I'm a fan of his work as an actor (Safety Not Guaranteed)  and with his brother as Indy filmmakers--The Duplass Brothers (like Big Puffy Chair and Jeff Who Lives At Home).

Hip Redux

Started on The League at lunch break today. Good start---Mark Duplass! I'm a fan of his work as an actor (Safety Not Guaranteed)  and with his brother as Indy filmmakers--The Duplass Brothers (like Big Puffy Chair and Jeff Who Lives At Home).

It gets really good in Season 2!