Got a new Stroller!! (Read 1386 times)

Hi everyone, My wife and I just went out and got a new stroller. We went with the Schwinn Joyrider. It's awesome! I wasn't going to run today, but as soon as we got home, I loaded up our son, Jesse, and off I went. It was great! I never thought a stroller could be so effortless to push. It seems like I just had to guide it a bit, and it just kept rolling. No complaints at all! If anyone is in the market for a new stroller, I'd highly recommend this one.

~Mike

My sweet new crank!

Mike, Thanks for the review. In fact, I work for Schwinn and am the product manager for jogging strollers and bike trailers. I really appreciate the positive feedback, and am glad you are pleased with the jogger. I love mine too. For fun, I got some 20" knobby tires and switched them out for the slicks that it came with. A bit more grip for the trail runs or 'bumpy runs' as the kids call them. Ryan
      Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

dork.major dork.

You take a stroller on trail runs? That's awesome! I want to be that kid/runner!!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

My sweet new crank!

Here is a link to the trail running machine! I am too much of a dope to put the actual photo here... http://the-odonnell-family.blogspot.com/ enjoy
            I work for Schwinn and am the product manager for jogging strollers and bike trailers. Ryan
            Sweet! Since you're here, I'll ask: how are those considered 20" wheels? I measured them last night and even with the tires, they came in at 19". The wheels themselves were about 16". Did I get jipped by the shop I bought it from, or is the number just rounded up at the factory? Thanks a lot! Mike

~Mike

My sweet new crank!

Mike - Short Answer - they are the right size, if you were to buy a 20 tire at a shop it would fit. Long Answer - Which Size Tire Fits Which Size Rim? Bicycle tires come in a bewildering variety of sizes. To make matters worse, in the early days of cycling, every country that manufactured bicycles developed its own system of marking the sizes. These different national sizing schemes created a situation in which the same size tire would be known by different numbers in different countries. Even worse, different-sized tires that were not interchangeable with one another were often marked with the same numbers! Traditional Sizing Systems The traditional sizing systems are based on a measurement of the outside diameter of a tire. This would usually be measured in inches (26", 27", etc.) or millimeters (650, 700, etc.). Unfortunately, evolution of tires and rims has made these measurements lose contact with reality. Here's how it works: Let's start with the 26 x 2.125 size that became popular on heavyweight "balloon tire" bikes in the late '30's and still remains common on "beach cruiser" bikes. This size tire is very close to 26 inches in actual diameter. Some riders, however were dissatisfied with these tires, and wanted something a bit lighter and faster. The industry responded by making "middleweight" tires, marked 26 x 1.75 to fit the same rims. Although they are still called "26 inch", these tires are actually 25 5/8", not 26". This same rim size was adopted by the early pioneers of west-coast "klunkers", and became the standard for mountain bikes. Due to the appetite of the market, you can get tires as narrow as 25 mm to fit these rims, so you wind up with a "26 inch" tire that is more like 24 7/8" in actual diameter! A second number or letter code would indicate the width of the tire. (26 x 1.75, 27 x 1 1/4...650B, 700C...) Does Point Seven Five Equal Three Quarters? Note that the inch-based designations sometimes express the width in a decimal (26 x 1.75) and sometimes as a common fraction (26 x 1 3/4). This is the most common cause of mismatches. Although these size designations are mathematically equal, they refer to different size tires, which are NOT interchangeable. It is dangerous to generalize when talking about tire sizing, but I would confidently state the following: Brown's Law Of Tire Sizing: If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal, but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction, these two tires will not be interchangeable. Dishonesty in Sizing Competitive pressures have often led to inaccuracy in width measurement. Here's how it works: Suppose you are in the market for a high performance 700 x 25 tire; you might reasonably investigate catalogues and advertisements to try to find the lightest 700-25 available. If the Pepsi Tire Company and the Coke Tire Company had tires of equal quality and technology, but the Pepsi 700-25 was actually a 700-24 marked as a 25, the Pepsi tire would be lighter than the accurately-marked Coke 700-25. This would put them at a competitive advantage. In self defense, Coke would retaliate by marketing an even lighter 700-23 labeled as a 700-25. This scenario prevailed throughout the '70's and '80's. The situation got so out-of-hand that cooler heads have prevailed, and there is a strong (but not universal) trend toward accurate width measurements. B.S.D. The ISO (E.T.R.T.O.) System: ISO, the International Organization for Standardization has developed a universal tire sizing system that eliminates this confusion. (This system was formerly known as the "E.T.R.T.O." system, developed by the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation.) The ISO system uses two numbers; the first is the width of the tire or rim in millimeters (The actual tire width will vary a bit depending on the width of the rim. The rim width is the inner width measured between the flanges as shown in the diagram.) The second ISO number is the critical one, it is the diameter of the bead seat of the rim, in mm ("B.S.D."). Generally, if this number matches, the tire involved will fit onto the rim; if it doesn't match, the tire won't fit. For example, a 700 x 20 C road tire would be a 20-622; a 700 x 38 hybrid tire would be a 38-622. The width difference between these sizes would make them less-than ideal replacements for one another, but any rim that could fit one of them would work after a fashion with the other. A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width. If you flatten out a tire and measure the total width from bead to bead, it should be approximately 2.5 x the ISO width. If your tire is too narrow for the rim there's an increased risk of tire/rim damage from road hazards. If its too wide for the rim, there's an increase risk of sidewall wear, and a greater risk of loss of control in the event of a sudden flat. The following is a partial listing of traditional tire sizes that are sometimes seen in the U.S., with their ISO bead seat equivalents Courtesy http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
                Shocked WOW! That sure does explain it. Thanks a lot for taking the time to edumacate me! I took my boy, Jesse out on a longer run today in the rain and he loved it! That rain shield works like a charm and it's sooooo easy to 'deploy' and 'retract'. A lady along the path even commented: "That stroller is Awesome!" Ha ha. Great Stroller!

~Mike

My sweet new crank!

sweet keep enjoying that...

running yogi

sweet keep enjoying that...
                    I don't quite have the budget for joyrider, but how is the safari model ? http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Safari-Swivel-Jogging-Stroller/dp/B000IOQ0MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1218774289&sr=1-1 I am small, so I am looking for light weight, adjustable handles and swivel wheels. I would put in about 25 miles max per week on the stroller, with no rough terrain. Any input would be helpful.

My sweet new crank!

the safari is a great item great deals online, moms rave about them! (dads like me like it a lot too)
                      xwtydwty

I just picked up a double jogging stroller from a yardsale. It is a 2002 Trek Transit and I must say it rides nicely. I wonder about the newer models that have turned the cage into more of a pod shape instead of squarish does it cut down on interior head room? This would be a concern for the double since most people have one big and one small child to haul. Anyway I am enjoying using this site too. thanks

running yogi

thanks for the input.

running yogi

Ryan, Is the 2007 InSTEP Safari and the Schwinn Safari the same thing ? Zeba
                            mgd

I think the InSTEP and Schwinn are the same thing. We have the InSTEP and like it a lot. We found that the 2008 model comes with an adapter so we can use our removable car seat (Graco) on it. It's been nice to be able to pull the car seat out with our daughter in it and just plop it on the stroller and go, especially if she's still sleeping. It works great for the mall too. She's still too small to run with her though. Sad
                              If you don't talk to your cat about catnip, who will?
                              briantruns

You take a stroller on trail runs? That's awesome! I want to be that kid/runner!!
                                Running on the trail with the kids in the stroller is a BLAST! Wink Every bump, root, dip... running through the water, lol. Although, I must admit the kid doesn't always like it. My runs can be cut short at times from crying kids Smile We got the Bob Jogger... you can check it out here: http://www.runningexpo.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=244