Sub 1:30 half marathon in 2017 (Read 323 times)

Really good race report Mark I can totally visualise every part of the course. My race report in 2013 was very similar, feeling not so great from the halfway mark etc and slowing alot in the last 5k and then seeing that finish line yehaa.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

My week turned out ok as the weather was crap and didnt allow me to pursue my other hobbies 

Also its included my monday for the first time ever !

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Oct 23, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 29, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 6.2 6:44 5 easy 5 fast strava
      Tue 5.4 7:51 Morning Run strava
      Wed 6.2 9:11 Morning Run strava
      Thu 5.0 8:09 Morning Run strava
      Fri 6.3 8:28 Morning Run strava
      Sat 6.3 9:09 Morning Run strava
      Sun 15.3 8:35 Pap running buddies group strava
        50.7 8:22    

I joined a new running facebook group who i ran with today. They are a little less serious than the other group I run with where Im the slowest and Im the fastest in this group. So did a leisurely 24kms helping one guy on a 35km run and he only runs 3x per week.....but training for a marathon.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - 50 miles man, you're getting into a groove.

My week is done at 31 km 19 miles. Unfortunately the plantar fasciitis made a comeback and I had to work around it.

I've started functional training twice a week. It involves a lot of core and glute workouts and it kicked my ass this week.

It's also super fun, this last Thursday it involved exercises like the alligator pushup.

On the other hand it takes a toll so I guess I have to let the body handle it as best as it can.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Flavio - good luck with your injuries.

Piwi - nice week.

Mark - as per sub 3, congrats.

.Me - have ran about 11 miles total over the last three weeks. My house has had a ton of work on it, and it goes on the market Wednesday. My left leg is getting better, in hindsight I didn't realize how injured it was. Left knee (biggest issue during my cycle), quad, shin and achilles have had substantial releasing.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi  - nice week!! Ha yeah you would know all the landmarks.  That Auckland course has been pretty good to me over the last 3 years.

Flavio - bummer about the PF.  What exactly is an alligator push-up?

Watson- good to hear from you!  Hope it goes well selling the house.  Sounds like a bit of rest may be what the body needed too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - ouch , sorry to hear, house work does not sound fun.

Mark - Here are the alligator push ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Y87MgBawc

I'm kidding, these are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9AdNdy1Js

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

Sorry for moving over so late and still being a lurker.  However here I feel like an impostor as I haven't run a HM this year and less so under 1h30.

Congrats to Mark on his first marathon with a sub-3

Congrats to JMac with an excellent unexpected half

Congrats to Blair, who lives in the next province to mine, for such an improvement.

Congrats to Arvind for his series of HM

Re: Distances.  I ran a certified 10K this year and it was around 150m short.  I know because it's two 4.85K loops but the finish is 150m away from the loop so they should have made for that last stretch, but the organizers forgot to add that.

However GPS devices are no good measure to qualify a race or not.

Rune: I used the "unnamed" plan for my First 2 HMs, and I learned some basics about training, That program is bashed because its misleading advertisement, although I think it's not very well understood, as the XT could be easy runs or just the aerobic base you need. When I left my the plan I Firstly used, in favor for more mileage I improved more. My only sub90 comes from Marathon training.

Me:  Nothing much,  I haven't signed for any races apart from Boston.

I'm doing maintenance, at around 55Km/wk for the last 3 months.  Mostly training with a guy who has a FM next weekend, sometimes with my ultra friends.

Trying to make it fun to run I started doing some GPS art.

I still play soccer weekly and sometimes bike to the office weather permitting.

Jaime good to see you made it over here. im a fraud too with no half marathon this year and only 1 race a 10k.

50k per week in my opinion is perfect for a good all round healthy lifestyle.

Watson nice to hear from you. I saw a little activity from you on strava today. Hope the house situation is progressing well.

Mark you must be still buzzing from the weekend. The marathon has so many little things that happen within the race that you will remember for a long time. The people that you pass struggling, the crowd support, the elites, the finish of course ! i checked out the results and when i ran 2.59 got me 48th which was about the same this year and 2nd in my age group. Nobody in the 50 plus age group went sub 3 though.....

Flav thats a bummer for you. I know you will be a beast runner when you go injury free.

I had over 2000m climbing last week thanks to my watch gifting me about 400m 

My new running group has a fastest strava segment challenge this month up Papamoa hills which is giving me some motivation as I am running alot of hills and doing some good strength exercises for my core and upper legs.

runethechamp

Mark - That's one hell of a race, and a great race report as well. I can definitely relate to your feelings towards the end of the race.

Jamie - Good to see you here! I'm anxious to see where my program brings me in 3 weeks.

Flavio - Can't remember if I mentioned this to you before, but make 100% sure you have PF. There are other things that can ail your heels. Bummer regardless.

I had had a decent week although work travel made it a bit challenging. 5x1200 intervals on Wednesday, 5-mile tempo Saturday and a long run today, Sunday. With 3 weeks left before the race this is the time to put the hammer down and push the hard workouts so I chose to go with one of Jack Daniel's specials today, the mixed pace run. I cut the end a bit short due to some stomach issues but ran 2 miles easy to warm up, 6 at m-pace 1 at threshold pace, then 1 at m-pace again, then almost 2 easy to cool down. This was not an easy workout on tired legs from yesterday. By the way, yesterdays 5 at 7:05 pace (pretty much threshold pace for me, hoping it will be HM pace in 3 weeks) went reasonably well although I was working hard at the end. Next week will have some hard workouts as well, with 7x800 intervals, an attempt at a 6-mile tempo at the same pace as this week, and another fast long run on the weekend. Then I will taper before the race.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Mark - great RR.  I was nowhere near sub3 (as you can see in my sig) but the last 8k of my first (and only, thus far) FM I recall coming close to quitting, thinking over and over "humans are not meant to do this."  It was Mother's Day so mom was at the finish line.  I collapsed into a sweaty old hug with her and uttered my first words after the race "Never again."  Within 24 hours I was dissecting what I could do to improve.

Jaime - Thank you kindly.  Nova Scotia, PEI or Quebec?

My "recovery" week was meant to be low mileage.... but it was really low.  Overall fatigue from getting higher in mileage than I ever had.  Lingering niggles that were exemplified by the Half.  Overall blah, tiredness.  I got in 20km.  2 easy 10s.  The 2nd of which was with my cousin who isn't a runner so we took 3 (or 4) walk breaks (hence the slower pace time).  I'd like up things back up to 80km/week over the next 5-6 weeks.  I was debating whether I want that Full or Half next (May is the next opportunity for good weather Full/Half around here).  I think I'll stick around here (or if a 2018 sub90 opens up) and really aim for that sub90 Half.

Oh, I had mentioned that there were complaints about my half being measured incorrectly.  Not long after, the course directors put out an official apology stating that due to human error it was indeed long.  The last turn around point was put 118m longer (something along those lines).  I knew there was something wrong with the last turn around point around the 18.5km mark (and it wasn't just the volunteer cheering my on that "you're halfway there!").  It makes me feel even better about the time thinking that my strava estimate of 1:32:16 is probably pretty close to being right.  Making sub90 very feasible for May.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Thu 6.3 7:50 Rainy 10 - first run since HM. Felt great! strava
                      Sat 6.3 9:25 Afternoon Run with Kiel strava
                        12.6 8:37    

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                      2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

Arvind Balaraman

My training last week. Started tapering for my race on Nov 11

Day Miles Pace Description
                        Mon 5.63 8:11 Easy 5
                              Bootcamp 45 min
                        Tue     Foam Rolling 20 min
                          6.11 8:58 Hill repeats
                        Wed     Foam Rolling 15 min
                          4 7:59 1 mile at 6:11, rest at 8:34
                        Thu     Foam rolling 15 min
                          0:43 7:20 7 at MP with 1 WU, 1CD
                              Core workout 30 min
                        Fri     Foam Rolling 15 min
                              Strength Training 45 min
                        Sat 18.23 8:01 Week 16 LSD with some hill repeats
                        Sun 8.38 8:05

Trail run

Total 51.38    

Average weekly mileage last 15 weeks 52.28
                        JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watson - Good to see you're still around! Hopefully you'll get back into the groove of things once the house is done.

Piwi - Very nice week!

Flavio - You were in such a groove too, hopefully you bounce back quickly.

Flavio/Piwi - This is a message to both of you: SIGN UP FOR A RACE. I know you may not have anything you can run this year, but that doesn't mean you can't plan ahead for next year. I think whoever doesn't sign up has to run this thread next year as their punishment 

Mark - As stated in Sub 3, congrats, and also excited to see what you can do in the half.

Rune - I love the mixed pace work, it can make marathon pace feel very easy when you are running T pace right before/after it.

Blair - I told the same thing to Mark! Those last few miles of my first marathon were some of the most mentally challenging minutes of my entire life. I told myself I'd only do one, yet here I am, 5 days away from doing another. Also, good to hear that your time was better than official.

Me - Last week before NYC. More importantly for this group, I'm already thinking about my spring racing season. It's funny how once I enter a taper, I'm already thinking about the next race. It keeps my mind off of the one coming up! Anyway, I really want to go for sub 17 in the 5K, but it will take a lot of work given that my legs are in marathon shape, not 5K shape. Question for the group: do any of you use plans for your 5K/10K/HM training? I've used Daniels in the past, but never tried his 5K plan. I'm also looking to do something different for my HM training just to mix it up. Any advice you have on plans you've tried would be useful!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Watson - Good luck with your house!

Piwi - Looks like you're getting some decent mileage these days.

Mark - Just thought about some of the discussions in the sub-3 thread regarding mileage and such, and I know you are leaning a bit in the opposite direction of the regular camp of more slow miles. Granted, everybody comes with different gifts from nature's side, but there is a guy in Norway that I follow on Strava, and he just ran Berlin marathon in 2:37 on 60 miles per week the 15 weeks before the race (which is also typical for his annual average), topping out at 88 miles 2 weeks before the race. I guess that's still a bit more than you, but it's certainly not in the area of 90-100 per week that lots of people do.

Arvind - Solid mileage as usual, I bet your race will go well!

JMac - Good luck in NY!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Mark - Your marathon report got me really pumped up.  2:57 is really something to be proud of and Sub-3 is a bucket list/dream achievement for me.  Amazing, yet not so amazing, that you didn't hit the wall.  You ran it perfectly.  I sort of lost count, but how many gels did you take during your race?

Last week I got 42.3 miles in.  Wanted at least 50, but I was on vacation and it was tough to get it all in. 

Key workouts:

7x800 with 1:30 standing rest.  Paces per mile were: 6:00, 6:00, 5:56, 5:56, 5:52, 5:52, 5:46.

Long Run:  10 miles at 7:44 pace.

Also, I've registered for the Chicago Marathon in 2018.  It's a lottery system so I might not get in...but fingers crossed.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Bro - Just chiming in that I may sign up for Chicago but not sold on it. I've heard too many horror stories with the weather, plus the average high that time of year is 68. I can't decide what to do.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)