Sub 1:30 half marathon in 2017 (Read 323 times)

James congrats on the post 50s PB. Im looking forward to starting my PBs again next year at 50  sorry to hear of the cramping.

My week done below. Not big mileage but about 2700 metres elevation. I went for a fast time to the summit today and smashed my best from 2 weeks ago by 15 secs  so my climbing ability has improved.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Nov 13, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 19, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Mon 6.2 9.0 Pap Hills 13 Link
    Tue 6.6 9:47 Up Mount 1.5 times strava
    Wed 5.0 9:36 Pap Hills 14 strava
    Thu 5.0 10:02 Pap Hills 15 strava
    Sat 2.2 10:12 Pap Hills 16 strava
    Sat 2.2 9:52 Pap Hills 17 strava
    Sat 2.2 9:23 Pap Hills 18 strava
    Sun 3.4 9:02 Pap Hills 19 and New PB strava
      32.8 9:41    

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

What kind of breathing rhythm do you guys prefer? I was reading Daniel's running formula and it seems he commends an inhale every 2 strides, exhale every two or possibly 3/3 for longer distances. I have never really tried to count or be fully aware of this. It is a bit tough co-ordinating at first. I find my stride count in my head off sometimes when concentrating too much on breath but then find myself holding my breath or breathing awkwardly when focusing too much on on stride count. I'd been counting every other stride so when my right foot hits the ground but I kept messing up.and was concentrating too much on my right foot strike. Started counting each footstrike 1-2-3-4,  inhaling on 1, exhaling on 3. Or I do 1-2-3, 1-2-3, alternating inhale/exhale on 1. But like I say, I am having issues concentrating enough to do this for long. Any tips? Does it eventually become natural without much need for counting?

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
      2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

Blair  dont think about it, just let it happen. I do fall into a pattern at vo2, tempo pace but I dont concentrate on it.

JamesD

JamesD

Rune - Good luck!

Blair - For what it's worth, Runner's World's Budd Coates notes that a consistent 2/2 or 3/3 pattern means that you're always landing on the same leg when you finish your exhale, which he says puts much more stress on that leg.  He argues for 3/4, 2/3, and 1/2 for easier, medium, and hard runs (or maybe 4/3, 3/2, and 2/1, I forget whether he wants more strides on the inhale or the exhale).  I've tried that a few times but have never gotten to where it's second nature.

Here's my week.  Race report will come later today when I have time.

Sun - off

Mon - 4.2 miles easy & sluggish

Tues - 2.6 easy including four strides, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Weds - off

Thurs, 2.8 including 1 @ 6:35

Fri - off

Sat - 13.9, including half marathon at 1:31:53

Total - 23.5 miles

8-week average - 26 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

I took a look at the results for Berkeley HM.  Looks like the only "Rune" in the field came in at 1:36:09.

Rune - I look forward to your RR.  Not the result you were looking for and your 9.1mi split looked promising.  Like I say, look forward to the RR but kudos for the finish.

Piwi - Glad to hear that coming from an experience runner.  I tried again today and it was disastrous.

My week: I believe this was my first 6 run week since the half marathon.  My mileage is a little low but slowly getting back up there.  I did three workout runs this week (4x800 speed, 4x1mi tempo and 8x1min hill repeats).  I failed on the first two.  And it wasn't because of injury or anything... it was just really hard.  There haven't been many times where I've mentally failed like this.  Tapped out when it got really hard.  I am getting used to treadmill training so no doubt that plays a part but it gives me motivation for next week.  I will be repeating my 4x800 (I sort of understand coming up short on the last interval, I stopped at 640m, because I haven't done 800m intervals since last winter) and 4x1mi (no excuse--literally have completed this workout and I believe as many as 7x1mi at the pace I was going at fairly recently) and intend on finishing those.  Next week's goal: a slight increase in mileage and finish the first two workout runs.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Mon 4.9 7:58 Evening Run strava
            Wed 5.7 9:22 5k w/u. 4x800 (3mins each, stopped at 640m last interval) 2 min rests, c/d strava
            Thu 6.6 8:40 Evening Run strava
            Fri 7.5 8:20 4x1mi cruise intervals - fail strava
            Sat 10.0 8:38 LSR strava
            Sun 4.9 8:58 Hill repeats. Then strength training. strava
              39.6 8:39

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
            2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

Marky_Mark_17

Blair / Piwi- I've never really thought much about breathing, I just tend to let it flow.  Other than trying to ensure I'm not breathing too shallow of course.

Piwi - awesome elevation.  I did a long run on Sunday and included a climb up Gills Rd which is a long, nasty one.  I normally do that loop from home in the other direction, so I've always run down it in the past rather than up.  ~120m climb over 3km.  It was horrible.

Blair - nice week.  Treadmill workouts are tough mentally, not a lot to distract you from the grind.

Me- back to work this week with some fun sessions including a decent tempo block and a good track session on Saturday.  Will probably stay around this level for the next couple of weeks and then maybe do a mini-taper before the Omaha HM.  Body is almost back to normal after the marathon and it'd be nice to finish the year with a good race.

M: 12km easy

T: weights, spin bike

W: 17.7km mostly easy

Th: 13km incl. 10km tempo building from 3:50/km to 3:40/km

F: weights

S: 9.4km track session incl. 5 x 800m / 200m rest

S: 21km easy

Total: 73.3km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Blair Ive got Rune on my strava. You should follow each other.  The breathing thing is often asked about and gets some smart arse replies like breathe in as much oxygen as you can through anywhere you can  some beginners think that you should breathe in only through your nose which is dam hard even on an easy run. I tend to be a bit negative with things like this but then later find out that there is a right and wrong way. I definitely fall into a pattern when the workout is tough.

Mark great to hear you are back doing tempos as i know you love them. Good climb there for you. My Papamoa hills one is 200m over 1.6km so pretty steep with no warmup. Ive done 19 now but one guy has done 34 with 10 days to go. Im looking good for fastest time which Im really stoked running 10.10 the other day down from 10.25 at the beginning of the month. It puts me 4th OA on a popular strava segment and 2nd and 3rd stopped short of the trig hill which adds on 25 secs so not legit but the segment used to recognise that but not anymore.

As you guys can tell I may no longer race but still like been competetive haha. All this hill running has been nice for a change and Ive got new muscle developing in my thighs. It will be interesting to see it that produces any improvement on fast flat runs though.

JamesD

JamesD

Too-Long Race Report - Soldier Half Marathon, Nov. 18, Columbus, GA

This is my annual goal race in my hometown, a military-themed half & full that usually attract around 1,500.  The number of out-of-towners adds to the atmosphere, and we had runners from 35 states, which seems like a lot for a race this size.  There aren't too many competitive people, though - the half usually has 10 or so under 1:30, and 2:50 wins the full some years.  I enjoy the variety & tranquility of the course, which starts & ends at a large infantry museum and includes several miles on Ft. Benning army base.  I think there's only one large sign on the entire course, and no billboards.  Since it's sort of like a three-looped figure 8 with the museum in the middle, spectators can see runners at the 1-mile and 7-mile marks as well as the start & finish, or they can hang out in the museum if the weather's bad.

The temperature when my wife, our son (who volunteered), & I arrived was in the high 40s (8-9 C), but it felt colder, maybe because it was very humid.  Although I was bundled up, my teeth were chattering as we cleared security.  I warmed up with lots on, then gave my wife my heavy shirt/cap/gloves at the starting line.  I started slowly as usual and let others run the first half-mile too fast.  I don’t wear a watch in races, but I was behind the 3:25 (7:54/mile) pacer for the first quarter-mile.  A friend who had said he was just hoping to go under 1:35 (though he did wind up just below 1:30) got ahead of me early and stayed there, so I was pretty confident that I wasn’t starting out too fast.

The first two miles were on a peaceful tree-lined highway heading to the base.  Gentle inclines, descents, and curves on this stretch kept things from being boring as we sorted out our paces, but they weren’t difficult.  Smiled at my wife as I passed her for the first time.  While I was running steadily with my friend Eduardo before the 1-mile mark, I started to have a cramp in the lower left of my stomach, where I don’t think I’ve ever had one.  I eased up, hoped it wouldn’t get worse, and let him move ahead.

For nearly all of the third mile, a bike path with a gradual steady hill took us between lots of trees and 8-foot cattails, and the scenery was very pretty & calming.  The cramp was worsening, but I didn’t have trouble with the hill itself, just felt like I was easing my way up without too much effort or speed.  For the next couple of miles, as we passed parachute jump towers and military buildings, lots of the people running with me and sometimes passing me were huffing & puffing while I was breathing pretty easily.  I tried pressing the cramp several times without much success.  At some point it left the lower left and reappeared in the upper right of my stomach near the lowest rib, where I had a bad cramp at last month’s 15K.

During the fifth mile, I stopped three or four times to stretch and press my stomach, and I walked for a while once.  It didn’t seem to help much, but knowing that several of you were following me did help me not to drop out at that point, so thanks.  Decided to keep going and at least get some training value out of the run since I hadn’t done a long run in almost three weeks.

I gradually eased back in, but it felt sort of disorienting running slower than my race pace, like, “I’m with people who are racing, but this isn’t what a race is supposed to feel like.”  While I was returning on an out & back section of a tree-lined street with lots of old officer houses, Eduardo’s wife yelled to me from the outbound section, which lifted my spirits.  Soon afterwards, I passed Eduardo, who had stopped with a calf injury.  The 10K split clock said 44:20, over 2 minutes slower than my split last year and about 3 minutes slower than I had thought I’d be.  At that point we started a fairly steep downhill where we lost the elevation we had gained on the earlier uphill, and I think changing my form while descending helped diminish the cramp, though it never totally went away.  I didn’t push, but people started coming back to me, and I would speed up a little when I passed them.

The next couple of miles were on a bike path that went past the museum and wound its way behind a golf course.  When I saw my (Chilean-raised) wife again, I said the Spanish word for “cramps” so she would know why I was going so slowly.  It seemed like a bad idea to use a word that other runners could understand, maybe because thinking about cramps might make them more likely to tie up.  I caught up to & followed for a while a woman who several times put her hands to her sides as if trying to press out cramps in the same way I had earlier.  Made me feel better that I wasn’t the only one, though she told me afterwards that she didn’t have cramps but just liked to change the way she carried her arms every so often.  I eventually moved past her and gradually passed a couple of others who came back to me.

After a couple of miles on an isolated water works access road, the half runners made a U-turn onto a parallel bike path & the full runners continued on.  The two guys I had been gradually approaching didn’t turn, and I was alone for the next couple of miles.  At the turnaround, the 10-mile clock showed 1:10:42.  Making allowances for this year's new clock placement, I figured I was about 1:45 behind last year’s pace, so I was gaining some, and since I had faded badly last year, I thought I had a chance to get my (soft) PR.  Still didn’t feel all that fast, but I didn’t think I could push any harder without the cramp getting worse.  The path back was alongside the access road, but they were separated by a thick row of tall plants.  It was odd to be running alone but to hear through the plants dozens of unseen runners heading the other way, especially when they were talking.

Despite not thinking I was pushing that much, I had three brief incidents in the final miles when my lungs got tight and I had trouble breathing.  Each one only lasted about 10 seconds, and I didn’t have to slow much, but the gasping was a little scary.  If they had happened at the start, I would’ve thought it was the cold, but by the second half of the race both the weather & I had warmed up a bit.  It's happened in a couple of other races, and I imagine it might have been something like asthma.  Seemed like a lung thing rather than a stomach thing, so I doubt it was related to the cramps.

At the 12-mile mark, we turned off the bike path and onto a main road for a straight shot back to the museum.  I gradually caught up to & passed a couple more runners, but I still felt like I was running in about one gear too low.  Final time was 1:31:53, beating by 16 seconds my PR from last year.  18th of maybe 800 (results aren't online yet) overall, & 1st AG.

The bad part of the race is obvious, but on the good side, I pushed through the cramp somewhat successfully.   Also, running the last 6.9 just a few seconds over 1:30 pace and the last 5K at 6:50 pace despite the cramp reinforced my belief that I’m in sub-1:30 shape if I can avoid cramping.  I also beat the other competitive local runner in my age group by 5 minutes, the first time I’ve ever beaten him.  (He's usually around 1:30; maybe at 58 he’s finally slowing down, or maybe he had a tri last weekend.)  Since he only runs one race a year, I suppose that makes me the fastest in town in my age group for now.  That’s my already-too-long race report, but I’ll ask for advice about my cramping in a separate post.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James was it a stitch type cramp or different ? Ive heard with the stitch to breathe out and keep breathing out to help get rid of it. Congrats on 1st age group. Are you in 50-55ag or 55-60?

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - congratz on the PR, you barely missed it. Stitches on the first half of a race are new to me.

Have you done your physicals lately? Maybe there’s some mineral imbalance.

Rune - that elevation was super tough, congratz on the PR.

Mark - superb week so close to the marathon.

Piwi - hills are speed in disguise, you’re building massive strength.

me - my week was 39.7km roughtly 24.5 miles. I was on a good groove until the weekend when I went to visit family. The result was no running and quite a bit of pasta and tiramisu.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Arvind Balaraman

My first week of recovery after the Richmond full

Ran HollySprings Half  on Sat. Did not want to push so ended up at 1:36:27. 8th in Age group

Day Miles Pace Description
                        Mon     Rest
                        Tue 6.1 8:28 Treadmill running
                        Wed     Foam Rolling 20 min
                              Spin Class 20 min
                          4.3 10:30 Hill repeats
                        Thu     Core workout 30 min
                          7 8:13 Easy 7
                        Fri     Foam Rolling 15 min
                              Strength Training 30 min
                        Sat 13.1 7:28 Hollysprings Half. Finished in 1:36:27
                        Sun     Foam Rolling 15 min
                        Sun 1:26 7:48 Trail running with Local Group
                        Total 41.56    
                        RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Greetings fellow 1:30 half chasers from an occasional lurker on the old RWOL thread!

I could use some advice from the collective wisdom.  I've got a local half in four weeks (Dec. 17) which is almost ideal for a fast run.  It's flat and the temps should be in the cool/cold range in which I've run my best times in the past.  I'd like to go for a PR (current is 1:31:19 from a few years back) or at least make an all-out effort to see where I am currently, and I'm wondering what sort of training I can do in the next few weeks to help me at this distance.

About me:  48 y.o. male, running seriously for about 5 years now.  This year has been my biggest year yet based on volume (averaging ~50mpw), but almost all of it has been at slow/LR pace (8:00-8:30, depending on conditions), with very few 'workouts'.  I've also done a ton of racing (6 fulls, 6 halfs, and a few 10-milers and shorter races), but most of that hasn't been all out.  I just finished the Richmond Marathon on Nov. 11th and beat my 3:20 goal with a 3:18, so I'm confident I have the endurance for a decent half - I'm probably lacking the speed, and need to focus on that.  My best half this year was a 1:34:18 on a hilly course in the spring, and that was probably about a 90% effort (it was COLD and I just wanted to get back in the car, so I hustled!  Wink.  I know there's not a whole lot I can do in the next four weeks, but what would be some good workouts to run a good half?

Thanks!

jaimegu

Hi, Guys,

Re: Breath:  I let it happen naturally.  When it becomes more elaborated, I sometimes force a a "2 in :2 out"  pattern, but not  intentionally related with my running cadence until my breathing becomes normal.  I try not to stress with it.

James: Good job on your race. When side stitches happen (long time without one), I inhale deeply and exhale the most I can, sometimes bending or leaning forward,  I repeat twice and usually I'm fine

Rune: I saw the profile and it's not an easy race. But I want to mention something else... Is the pace of your tempos supportive of a sub90?

BTW,  you were asking about bike fitting,  it's very hard to see from 2 pictures, as in just one frame you can play with the cranks, seat post, stem and aerobars.  Having said so, your midfoot is on the pedal (not you forefoot as when using clips, which helps your knee angle at max extension), and you back is not that aerodynamic, but that a compromise between speed and comfort.  Pros ride smaller bikes, smaller handlebars, and are used to hold that position for long time.

Finally,  When you are buying a bike of that range, the store should provide a minimal fitting, by measuring you in several places, before recommending a bike size (not that Slice is a bad bike but is far from the best at TT and Tri)

Piwi,  You already got one CR in one of those segments.

Nice weeks, guys, but for the first and probably the last time,  I'm leading with 50 miles

The strava applet didn't work so here I go:

Mon: 10.5Km @4:50

Tue: 11.6 @4:27 Tempo 7Km @ 4:15

Wed: 10K @4:53 Commute thru the woods in the dark

Thu: 10.2Km @5:09 Easy with strides

Thu: 5.2 Km during Indoor Soccer game

Sun:  32.8Km @5:12  (with snow, rain and wind)  Pace was more of 5:05/km but I was using my phone and I didn't stop it when I when to my car twice finding band aids, and picking my backpack to change at park chalet

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Arvind - holy cow you’ve got yet another HM in.

All - I’ve added all 3 results from the weekend to the board on the first page.

Next we only have Mark December 10th in Omaha.

RJ - welcome aboard.

As you mentioned there is not much you can do this late in the training cycle, that said, there are a few things you can do.

That would include a few long runs longer than 90 minutes and a tempo at desired half marathon pace, the distance will depend on what you’ve been doing lately.

Please share how long have your long runs been on average (discounting the full marathon) and if you’ve done any tempos on HM pace (over the past 2 months).

My initial guess is that you're primed for a sub 1:30 half provided that you can recover adequately from the effort from the full.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Lots to catch up on!

James - Nice race and PR! I've read a lot lately that they don't really seem to know what causes cramping, even though everybody used to think it was electrolytes. Seems like one of those individual issues you sort of have to narrow down. For me, I battle stomach issues / stitches in my races and can only control them, never fully get rid of them. The things I always do to get rid of them are 1) breathe out hard on the opposite side of the stitch for a good minute 2) breathe as if I'm breathing through a straw 3) belly breathe, i.e. don't breathe through your chest but as if you're filling up your belly and 4) if none of those work, start massaging it very deeply. I go to massaging as a last measure because I've found that although it works to get rid of it, it tends to make the area sore and can cause stitches to occur again more frequently. I had a few stitches in my marathon, got rid of all of them with this except for the final 2 miles, where no amount of massaging or breathing can get rid of it when you're that late in a race. At that point, you just sort of have to deal with the mental anguish.

Piwi - Your hill climbing is ridiculous. I think you should schedule a downhill race soon, you would blow away the competition with how well trained you are.

Blair - I probably think about breathing more than others have stated because my breathing patterns can really impact whether I get stitches or not, but I don't try to hit any sort of pattern. All I know is that if I'm down to a 1:2 pattern towards the end of an easy run,  I've gone too fast. It was one of the first things that convinced me to slow down on my easy runs. I can get up to that on the second half of a tempo run though.

Mark - Great job getting back to work. Can't wait to see what you put up with this new marathon base.

Jaime - Great week! 50+ is always such a nice number to hit

Me - A whopping 8 miles this week. I've really enjoyed the time off though, my legs feel like a million bucks now and I"m ready to start building back up. I like spending November and December base building, although I'm not sure it's really needed after a marathon block. However, one thing that is critical during this time period for me is leg strengthening work to prevent injuries, as I find it hard to do serious leg work when you're deep into a cycle. So I'll be hitting the gym and getting some good squats and weight work in to prep my legs for the next cycle. Still not sure if I'm going to make the NYC Half my goal race given the course profile and how little time I'd have to prepare. I feel like I'd be pretty disappointed to put in the training for it and then find the course too difficult and not break 1:20.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)