Another National Marathon Report (Read 592 times)

Kimmie

I ran the half actually. This race is in Washington D.C. I have run many races there before. I live about 35 miles west of DC and my friend Jeanne and I left home around 5:30. One quick stop to get coffee and we were on our way. The race started at 7:00 and we thought that we had plenty of time. Two wrong turns later and we find ourselves in downtown DC at about 6:45. To complicate matters, I had the bib # and chip of Jeanne's friend, Tatiana, who was running the full. ( her 2nd marathon) So, we're trying our darnest to get there, DC cops are yelling at us to get off the roads that are closed, totally crazy. Jeanne ends up pulling up alongside the start, totally illegal, and I just jump out, Tatiana's bib and chip in hand. Jeanne goes off to try to park somewhere and it's 7:05. i realize that I don't even know what this girls looks like. I'm weaving through runners trying to get to the other side and screaming "TATIANA!!!" She turns around and says " Here I am!" So, after she gets her stuff on, we just start running. I felt kind of guilty for her rough start, so I stayed with her for the first 5 miles. I then sped up and was able to run another negative split race. Finishing time was 1:57 but I feel I could have done better. What a morning.... Smile Jeanne ended up having to park a great distance aways and jumped in at mile 17 to run the last 9 miles with Tatiana. Next time, we'll METRO it in.
      Kimmie - What a bummer of a ruff start but great race. Good job to you.
      Happy Running,
      Troy
      "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

Tongue I'm so sorry to hear that. I drove in too, but left VERY early because of the fear of getting lost. Thank goodness for my GPS! It got me there on time, but by the time I walked from the parking lot, pottied, it was time to line up. Great time and a story to tell. Kathy
        ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

wow, Kimmie, that is like every runner's nightmare come to life!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.
          Then brag for the rest of your life.
          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Kimmie

Does anyone feel like analyzing my stats? Mile 1- 9:00 m 2- 9:09 M3- 9:05 M4- 9:13 M5- 8:55 M6- 9:33 M7-8:48 M8-8:42 M9-8:35 M10- 8:26 M11-9:33 (taking my jacket off- really slowed me down) M12- 8:17 M13-8:07 I want to run another 1/2 on April 20th here in my area... called the LAWS half marathon in Leesburg, Va. My mile splits are all over the place. Can anyone jump in and give me their thoughts? How can I best train for this next 1/2 to get a PR? ( my fastest 1/2 is from 2006- a 1:47, which I think I just got lucky on) Thanks in advance!!! How was your race, tiggerunner? I love reading race reports and the National is fun. Didn't you love the dancers? I think it was mile 9?

Another Passion

Oh my gosh, Kimmie! I was frantic and frazzled just reading your report about the start! Shocked Way to pull it together for a good race. I would have been a wreck.

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Kimmee- I ran this to see how I would do after cracking my ribs in Feb. I didn't pay attention to split times-even though I just saw I did well the second half of the race. Negative splits-yeah! I like the course and the hills felt good. I have been training for alot of hills because I am going to China in May to run the Great Wall Half marathon. There is 3 miles of steps about 2 miles into that race and there is no way to run that! I loved the group and cheered like crazy for them. It was so nice to have them there and I hope they know how much it was appreciated since there was so little on the race route. The best part was I met the group from Runnersworld in the potty line and had a great talk with them. They were so excited to do their race and it was infectious. HMMM-maybe I'll be in some photos. Good luck with your next race-I have a 10 miler this weekend in MD and a Half in Alexandria before I leave for China. I'd like to hear how you do at LAWS and about the race. Kathy
                ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Kimmie, Looks to me like the first four miles you were trying to find your groove. the mile 4 split might be a little slow due to the turnaround on the out and back. curious that your mile 5 split was fast as that is the beginning of the hills which shows up in a slow mile 6 split (the steepest part). Then except for taking the jacket off it looks like you were really getting into it and working on a nice series of negative splits. Remember that you won't be able to compare this half with the next one as the courses will be very different.

Swim 2.4 miles.
                  Ride 112 miles.
                  Run 26.2 miles.

Kimmie

Thanks Kevin.... I like to analyze.... Have you run LAWS before? I ran it a few years back and I need to look and see if it's the same course. I want to see how many quality runs I can get in before this next race and then really do a good job pacing myself during it. But you're right that races don't always compare because of the courses, weather, etc...
                    Kimmie

Kimmee- I ran this to see how I would do after cracking my ribs in Feb. I didn't pay attention to split times-even though I just saw I did well the second half of the race. Negative splits-yeah! I like the course and the hills felt good. I have been training for alot of hills because I am going to China in May to run the Great Wall Half marathon. There is 3 miles of steps about 2 miles into that race and there is no way to run that! I loved the group and cheered like crazy for them. It was so nice to have them there and I hope they know how much it was appreciated since there was so little on the race route. The best part was I met the group from Runnersworld in the potty line and had a great talk with them. They were so excited to do their race and it was infectious. HMMM-maybe I'll be in some photos. Good luck with your next race-I have a 10 miler this weekend in MD and a Half in Alexandria before I leave for China. I'd like to hear how you do at LAWS and about the race. Kathy
                      Wow- I just have to say that you have to let us know how the Great Wall race goes. That is so impressive. What half are you doing in Alexandria? i feel like I'm addicted to halfs and ten milers instead of fulls now.
                      ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Kimmie, I have not done LAWS, but might someday, I have a Tri down at Lake Anna on 4/20 this year. Is this race on the W&OD?

Swim 2.4 miles.
                        Ride 112 miles.
                        Run 26.2 miles.

Kimmie

yeah, I'm pretty sure it's mostly on the WOD... which some of my friends hate because we're sharing it with cyclists, etc... the last time i ran LAWS was in Sept. 04... now it's held in April. This is the first time that I am training for halfs specifically. Previously when I would run a half it would always be about three weeks out from a full that was my goal race. So, no taper, etc....
                            Kimmee- I love doing the halves and 10 milers too. Feels like I burned some calories at the end of the race. The Potomac river run is May 4th and I have never done it before. I am doing the Cherry Pit 10 on Sunday. The Annapolis striders puts it on(cheap) for people who didn't get into Cherry blossom. It is actually very pretty,rolling hills and even a few cows and horses. Have a good week. Kathy
                              Oh my gosh, what a crazy start to your day!!! Mine was actually the opposite - I only live about 10 miles away and left the house at 5:15! (I'm a little paranoid about lateness.) But that means I sat in my car in the parking lot for half an hour, waiting as long as possible before I went up and froze my tush off in the starting corral. Congrats on overcoming all of that! You are a great friend (or friend of a friend, I guess!) for running with her those 5 miles. Smile