90 y/o woman training for 5th marathon (Read 895 times)

One of my running buddies is 81 and she just ran Victoria Marathon in 4:36. She was running sub 1:40 1/2 marathons well into her 60s. SHE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30

Dog-Love

One of my running buddies is 81 and she just ran Victoria Marathon in 4:36. She was running sub 1:40 1/2 marathons well into her 60s. SHE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      She was close behind me during that marathon!!! And 30 years older...A definate inspiration to me!
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Bugs

I expect by the year 2050 women at age 70+ will have better times than men.
        I hope there will be more welll known woman coaches too. Pfitz, Higdon, Daniels, etc.. ALL MEN, we need more woman coaches.

Bugs

Purdey

Self anointed title

After all, we were told that if we ran more than a mile the uterus would fall out. And we didn't want to get hot and sweaty and have people accuse us of being lesbians since it was obvious that no girly girl would do such a thing as run. I'm not sure that most of us knew what a lesbian was when we were in high school, but we certainly didn't want to be one. Even if some of us were.
          POD.

Will the race director make an exception for her and let the course open that long?
            In Honolulu an 8:30 finish won't even be close to the back of the pack. Last year more than half of the finishers had a time over 6 hours and the last few were over 12 hours. http://www.marathonguide.com/results/browse.cfm?MIDD=480081214

Res firma mitescere nescit
            Running in Tampa

Cause I CAN

geez being out for 6 hrs was bad enough....and i was losing it then...go Glady go!
              Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
              http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
              xor

Incidentally, this lady will also be at the Honolulu Marathon on Sunday. In today's Honolulu paper, there were two stories, one about Gladys and one about this lady - her name is BJ.

jingchunyu

http://www.kitv.com/news/18287807/detail.html She almost made it.
                  xor

Yeah. Her husband died a few days before the race too. It was a hard day. First two hours were rainy. Then that it went away and it got typical hot-n-steamy.

Yup. Srlopez, BJ is not quite as crazy as you. BUT can you believe that she did two back to back marathons at 81? She did Victoria in October and Honolulu last weekend! She took about one week off after Victoria to ramp it up for Honolulu. She totally rocks!
                      Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30