Whatcha got showin' on your Garmin main screen? (Read 846 times)

Ben Running

Im just curious what everyone who uses a Garmin has on their main screen - i have distance and pace. I used to have time but i put that on my second screen so pace and distance were bigger. I run a certain distance everytime i go regardless how long it takes me so i figured thats a lot less important to me. Pace is a big one for me because i have a tendency to go too fast especially when ever a car is coming close to me. Anyway there are so many different options of data to show i thought it would be interesting to see what everyone has. I also have calories on my second screen.

Lazy idiot

Really only use one screen. Top: Total time Bottom left: Last lap pace Bottom right: Total distance I really don't look at total time, so I'm not sure why it's up there. Last lap pace I occasionally use, but rarely. Total distance I only look at on out-and-back courses I set up so I know when to turn around (if it's not at a mile marker). Basically, for me, the Garmin is a tool I use more after the run than during the run. When running, I run. When I'm done, then I analyze/gawk/cry/whatever. I've found for me that if I look too much at the screens I stop running by feel and lose the focus of that particular workout.

Tick tock

I have Overall Pace as the Big item on top with overall time/dist smaller. Secondary screen is the same for current Lap pace. I did it this way to try to even out overall pace and base runs on that by settling into an overall pace and holding steady as possible and if goes +/- by more 1 - 2 seconds know to speed up/slow down and as the run progresses obviosly should become more stable. I toggle to current Lap/Interval if feeling going too fast or Too Slow. During Half Marathon was on main screen (overall pace) for 95% of time and ran the intervals more by feel and watching overall (helps me learn the current pace better). Goal was 8:47 pace and ended up with 8:45 overall pace according to Garmin, but race was 8:49 due to distance discrepency (13.23 garmin vs 13.1). I did go back and check route and Mapmyrun came up with 13.24 so comfortable with pace of 8:45 but will take the official 8:49 pace the race clocked me at.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

A Saucy Wench

TL: Overall Time TR: Lap Pace BL:Total Distance BR: Current pace I use distance the most. I run with several other people who live kind of close by and sometimes a good portion of the run is swinging by to pick up someone else or drop off someone - very random loops we do to accomodate "Daphne wants to run 3 and Barb wants to run 6 and Gwen has to be home by 6 sharp."

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

Most runs Top: Total time Bottom Left: Total Distance Bottom Right: Lap Time (Modified to fix this) Auto lap at every mile When doing programmed workouts like intervals Top: Lap time Bottom Left: Lap Distance Bottom Right: Total Distance I mostly use the Garmin as a recorder, and look at the data after the run. I've had pace on the display but don't like it because it doesn't seem to be reliable enough.

Not at it at all. 

Most runs I mostly use the Garmin as a recorder, and look at the data after the run. I've had pace on the display but don't like it because it doesn't seem to be reliable enough.
              Thats the exact reason I switched to Overall; because current pace jumps all over the place and to me is useless; Lap pace is a little more stable/reliable and overall pace is the most stable.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Ben Running

I've had pace on the display but don't like it because it doesn't seem to be reliable enough.
                Mine is extremely accurate on the pace and just overall. In fact i ran a 3 mile run the other day and just to test the accuracy i was messing around a bit and zig zagging back and forth on this old country road and when i pulled up the map afterwards you could see the zig zags. This is on an average size 2 lane road so i think mine is very accurate if it is picking up me zig zagging on like a 12 foot wide road.

A Saucy Wench

Thats the exact reason I switched to Overall; because current pace jumps all over the place and to me is useless; Lap pace is a little more stable/reliable and overall pace is the most stable.
                  I find lap pace to be more reliable in the sense that I am a sloooooooowwww starter. My warmup mile is rarely faster than 10:30, sometimes 11. If I dont get that sucker off my screen I'll run too fast later to "make up for it". But since it isnt on my screen I rarely look at my pace.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Standard setup for me (1 screen - 405) Top: Lap Pace Bottom Left: Distance Bottom Right: HR When doing intervals: Top: Lap Time Bottom Left: Lap Pace Bottom RIght: HR

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

chrimbler

I'm boring I just have my distance showing...but I have set it to beep every km, so I can keep an eye on my pace, if I feel I'm going too fast.
                      Run like you stole it!
                        Screen 1 is for current lap info: 1. current lap average pace 2. current lap distance 3. GPS accuracy 4. current HR (when I decide to wear the strap) Screen 2 is for overall race/workout info: 1. total elapsed time 2. total distance 3. total average pace Screen 3 is for prior lap info: 1. prior lap time 2. prior lap average pace 3. prior lap distance

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Big # = total time left = distance right = average total pace [clicks off auto 1 mile average pace] [second screen I have heart rate -- I got a heart rate monitor about 2 weeks ago ... but the 405 is a pain to toggle between screens ... I just keep the bezel locked and look at afterthing after I upload it.]

2012= under-goaled

My dogs are fast, not me

Top = Total Time Bottom Left = distance Bottom Right = average total pace

Robin

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Berner: Good to see you! Screen 1: Time Screen 2: Distance Screen 3: %MaxHR and time of day. I keep it simple so I don't obsess about pace on easy runs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

______TIME______ Lap Pace | Distance

-------------------------------------
                                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07