Can a pair of shoes be a lemon/defective? (Read 788 times)

Bugs

This winter I bought a pair of Saucony shoes off the Internet. Same model as my last two shoe purchases just different color than the blue ones I had worn before.

There were stiff, and every run they feel like running with cement bricks, even after 300 miles. I hate them! I run in my old blues ones, while the cushion is all gone, the shoe bends.

Can a pair of shoes be a lemon? Maybe the online store sold be second fiddle shoes?

Bugs

runlouierun

I wondered the same thing with a pair of Mizuno's I had. I loved the first pair, bought a second pair over the 'net and HATED them. Wore them for the required life of shoe but hated every mile. Whilst wearing them the model was updated so am wearing the new one now and it's much better but still not as good as that first pair!

will run for popsicles

not quite the same, but my wife has spent the last couple months with a pair of adidas response control with a squeak. she thinks she sounds like a clown. run squeak run squeak run squeak. i think she was dragging her feet for the entire life of the shoes to send them to a premature death.
          I bought a pair of Nike Free 5.0 V2's a couple years ago online, and they fell apart after about 200-300 miles.  Most other people said the V2's were sturdier.  I would definitely call that pair a lemon.
          Nick Nunez

Destroyer of Worlds

So I worked at Dick Ponds, which is a shoe store specialized in running, and from first hand experience, a pair of shoes can be a lemon. Manufacturers sometimes have inconsistencies in their shoes, although the occurrence of such shoes is rare. Nike Streaks, for example, had a fairly high instance of the out-sole peeling away, although the majority of shoes were fine. So, the short answer is that there can be problems with one particular pair, although it is quite rare.
            I saw a squirrel
            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

This is such a great question because my wife and I were just talking about this.  She thinks she purchased some lemons as well of the interent and we always wondered why the were cheaper on the net.  I bought a pair of Nike Peagus +25 GTX (water proof) off the net and these things are the stiffest things I have ever worn.  I wear Peagus all of the time.  My problem is I don't know if they are stiff because they are water proof or if something is wrong with the shoes

Should you be worried to purchase off the net? 

2011 Goals:
                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                The last pair of shoes I bought (Asics 1100 series), the left shoe had something wrong with the pad in the bottom. I didn't notice it when I tried them on at the store, but the first run I felt the defect around the arch of my left foot.

I took them back and exchanged them for a different pair, same model. Sure enough, when I tried the new pair, the RIGHT shoe wasn't right. It felt like something was wrong in the heel area. I went back to the store and got the RIGHT shoe from the original pair, and kept the LEFT of the new pair.

Menace to Sobriety

Yes. This doesn't relate to just shoes. I have a friend that bought some high end golf clubs off the net at a price "too good to be true". He played with them for a few months and one of them broke. When he sent them back to the manufacturer, they claimed that the club was a knock off most likely from China. On the outside you couldn't tell, but they sent photos of the inside welds from their clubs and from knock offs, definitely a difference in quality.

I haven't heard of this in running shoes, but I have in several other items besides the clubs, but I guess its possible.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Beware, batbear...

As with most things on the net, you've got good guys and bad guys.  The larger companies - Road Runner Sports, Overstock.com, Shoes.com, etc. have a lot to lose by selling crappy products.  Some dude selling cheap shoes out of his basement on e-bay, not so much.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Rundadrun27

You don't need to be worried but you do need to be careful.  But that's the way it is with everything today.  A simple rule to follow is that if it is too good to be true, it probably is.  I've purchased products of the Internet, but I've done my research first. 

Ojo

I do think shoes can be lemons/defective.  I always wear the same shoes but the colors are always changing.  For some reason the 2 times I had the lavender I had a pain on the outside of my foot for the first few weeks.  I always buy local because my running store will take them back if problems continue.

Sara

MM #2929

A Saucy Wench

I had 3 pairs of exactly the same brand, same size, same model year.  The last pair was most definitely a lemon.  It was significantly smaller than the other two and some of the mesh ripped out within 50 miles.

MTA: all 3 pairs were bought at the same store

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best Present Ever

I do think shoes can be lemons/defective.  I always wear the same shoes but the colors are always changing.  For some reason the 2 times I had the lavender I had a pain on the outside of my foot for the first few weeks.  I always buy local because my running store will take them back if problems continue.

I have had the same thing happen.  Twice I've bought shoes that turned out to be too small, even though they were the same size/brand/model as I always wear.  Both times, the shoes were a different color than I ususally buy.  The most likely explanation is coincidence, but you'll never get me to believe that the blue Asics 21XXs don't run smaller than the white ones. 

I swear with some shoe models different color patterns feel different.