Running stick (Read 1347 times)

My husband bought me a running stick a couple of weeks ago, because a marathon runner at his job swears by them.

Although I've increased my mileage by 20 miles per week very recently, I've honestly got no lingering additional soreness.

I use it nightly while watching TV, and go from very sore, to zero soreness/tightness.  Amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/STICK-MARATHON-MUSCLE-MASSAGER-SG-2000/dp/B000P7NWLM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298558629&sr=8-2

theyapper

On the road again...

I've thought about picking one of these up.  The travel stick might be a better one for me.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

xor

Speaking of travel...

In my experiences, the TSA doesn't quite know what to make of The Stick.  It isn't on the NO list with dangerous items like 4oz liquids, but they will likely rerun your bag once, then pull it out and ponder qu'est-ce que c'est.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I think I would have better luck with a running stick than I did with that ugly stick.

Bill Wagnon / stl

Slo

They are well overpriced for what they are but they are also well worth the price of admission.

Mine can always be found next to the recliner.

Yeah, but how long can you roll that thing til another person in the room is like "Ok, enough already."?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

definitely overpriced.

It only takes a few minutes to work out your kinks, and it's far better than those foam rollers that require you to get on the ground and balance your body weight on your arms. 

xor

Noooooooooo.....

Foam rollers work mo bettah for me.  Yeah, they are big and clunky though.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

definitely overpriced.

But I do love mine too.

steph  

Noooooooooo.....

Foam rollers work mo bettah for me.  Yeah, they are big and clunky though.

Same here.  I've used both and I thought the stick did nothing for me.  I'm rolling 2-3 times a day.  At night I'm rolling in front of the t.v.  I'm using the grid by trigger point.  Much better than the piece of junk roller I bought at target a year ago.

Marylander

I like the foam rollers too and am thinking about one of the Rumble Rollers but have been too cheap so far to pull the trigger...

xor

Yeep!  That comes from the Spanish Inquisition, I think.

And I wasn't expecting that.

Marylander

Yeah, I think it might be a bit much for a lot of leg stuff (e.g., can't imagine using it on IT bands) but might make hitting between the scapula/mid-back quicker than tennis or lacrosse balls... I sent that link to my daughter a few months ago with the subject "ouch". Wink

MrH

The answer is:  both the stick and the foam roller.

The foam roller can turn into a strength routine too.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

jeffdonahue

The only problem I've had is trying to get a good angle to do my calves.  It does work great for quads and the ITB area but I can never seem to get any reall pressure applied to the calves.