Forerunner question (Read 951 times)

I did my 1st run with my 305 this morning and am a little confused about where to upload the information to. I manually imported to RA, uploaded to Garmin Training Center, and uploaded to motion based. What are other people using. How are they going about this. Thanks
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sporttracks.com is really good, and it's free. I don't think GTC is very good.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I did my 1st run with my 305 this morning and am a little confused about where to upload the information to. I manually imported to RA, uploaded to Garmin Training Center, and uploaded to motion based. What are other people using. How are they going about this. Thanks
        Sadly, there's no true one-stop solution (though Garmin imports will be available in the future here at RA). Each things seems to have different pros and cons 1) GTC Pros: only easy way to manage advanced workouts and profile on your device cons: it sucks 2) MotiionBased Pros: online, has good altitide correction (MB Gravity is what it's called -- find it Account-->Preferences-->Tune-up) cons: only can view last 10 runs unless a) you pay for it or b) you log out and look your username up. 3) RunningAhead: Pros: It's awesome Cons: none, but there seems to be a lot of ex-cons. For Windows users, SportTracks is an excellent program (though not accesible online). Mac users should check out Ascent, which is very similar to Sportrracks. I end up importing via all of these avenues, though I only use GTC sporadically to change workouts. Once RA has GPS, I'll probably stop using MotionBased.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

2) MotiionBased Pros: online, has good altitide correction (MB Gravity is what it's called -- find it Account-->Preferences-->Tune-up) cons: only can view last 10 runs unless a) you pay for it or b) you log out and look your username up.
          I agree there is not a one stop solution and I too tend to use GTC, MB, and SportTracks (This one also has the ability to correct wayward data points if the satellites drop you) Motion Based is getting ready to switch over to Garmin Connect and one of the things changing is you will now have access to all of your runs, not just the last 10, for free. And yes, the altitude correction of MotionBased makes for much better elevation charts...

The Greatest of All Time

Go with Sport Tracks. The new Garmin Connect site ran by Motion Based sucks! GTC is ok, but has limited features compared to ST.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Chair Warmer

I wasn't sure which of the multiple Garmin threads to put this is, but has anyone else had the problem with the current pace boucning all around with big extreems? I try for about a 9:00 min pace and know pretty well what that feels like, but on my most recent run my 305 had my pace anywhere from 4:30 to 14:00. It never really seems to settle in a narrow range (say from 8:45 to 9:15). The lap pace does seem to be pretty accurate though.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I wasn't sure which of the multiple Garmin threads to put this is, but has anyone else had the problem with the current pace boucning all around with big extreems? I try for about a 9:00 min pace and know pretty well what that feels like, but on my most recent run my 305 had my pace anywhere from 4:30 to 14:00. It never really seems to settle in a narrow range (say from 8:45 to 9:15). The lap pace does seem to be pretty accurate though.
                Pretty common. It's due to the fact that "instantaneous" velocity depends on a very small sample of data points. Since pace is time/distance, pace error will magnified at short distances due to the variation of the satellite data. Two things: 1) Under Settings-->Running-->Speed Units, be sure that "Most" smoothing is selected. This will force the device to sample more points for pace. The value will not be quite so "instantaneous", but it may help make it less jumpy. 2) Best option is to use lap pace. Auto-laps of 1 mi (or 1km if you've got your metric on) will give you a good read on your current pace once you're about 0.25mi into the lap (the point at which GPS variations don't seem to matter as much).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Go with Sport Tracks. The new Garmin Connect site ran by Motion Based sucks! GTC is ok, but has limited features compared to ST.
                  I'm on a Mac and didn't like Ascent. I thought the Forerunner was going to simplify my life, not make me have to enter my data on 3 sites. Any word as to when RA will have an upload feature?

The Greatest of All Time

I'm on a Mac and didn't like Ascent. I thought the Forerunner was going to simplify my life, not make me have to enter my data on 3 sites. Any word as to when RA will have an upload feature?
                    If you can upload to Motion Based use it. I have the 405 which can upload to the new Garmin Connect that's ran by Motion Based and that site sucks. The regular Motion Based site that folks are using with their 305's is not too bad.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

I thought the Forerunner was going to simplify my life, not make me have to enter my data on 3 sites.
                      I don't own a Garmin at this time, so forgive me if this is a dumb response. Do you have to do anything with any of those sites if you only want to use RA? Can't you just look at the data presented on the watch and then transfer that to your RA entry blank like I do with my el Cheapo Timex Ironman? Ahh... perhaps you need to correct the routes using one of those other services? Never mind me.

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Can't you just look at the data presented on the watch and then transfer that to your RA entry blank like I do with my el Cheapo Timex Ironman?
                        Yes, you could do that, and I do , sometimes. After a real easy run, I often do this. But if it's a race or some kind of quality workout, I usually like paying attention to the splits and graphs.

Lazy idiot

Gotcha. Can you review splits on the watch, or do you have to do this using some specialized site?

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Gotcha. Can you review splits on the watch, or do you have to do this using some specialized site?
                            You can review the splits on the watch. But it's pretty small font. Easy to just pop it onto the cradle, sync with the software of your choice, and look at it in tabular form.

Dave

Yes, you can review splits on the watch but you have specify them in advance (autolap feature). FWIW, Sporttracks has a plugin that supports the elevation correction similar to motionbased.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go with standard MotionBased The new Garmin Connect site ran by Motion Based sucks! GTC is ok, but has limited features compared to ST and MB.
                                Fixed