Race Pace Suggestion? (Read 853 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I'm currently building my base on my way to running a target of ~35mpw and got invited (dared, heckled, whatever you want to call it) to a race by a friend. I am running The Clamdigger 5 mile in RI this weekend, and I need a suggestion of target race pace. I am at a fitness level that I haven't seen since I was in HS - and I only ran the 800 and 1600 back then, so I have no idea how fast I should run this. Any suggestions? Recent fast training run on a non certified 5k (not an all out effort) was 24:51 and previous 5 mile race one month ago was 43:46.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Lazy idiot

I'll probably be the least qualified to give a good answer, but I'd say go out in 8:00's and then get faster if you can.

Tick tock

dork.major dork.

You could try this: http://runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator/0,7169,s6-238-277-279-0-0-0-0-0,00.html Not perfect. I'm sure, but a pretty good baseline to think about, especially if you enter high quality runs of different lengths (I, for instance, have been spending some time looking at the different estimates it gives me for a 5k tempo run from this week and a half marathon I did in the fall).

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

JakeKnight

I'll probably be the least qualified to give a good answer, but I'd say go out in 8:00's and then get faster if you can.
          Exactly what I'd do. Your log has several "easy" runs at well under 9:00 pace. You ought to be able to hold 8:00 in short race. I'd hold that for the first couple and see how you feel.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

Just show up and run. Hard. It will be glorious.

Giant Flaming Dork

Exactly what I'd do. Your log has several "easy" runs at well under 9:00 pace. You ought to be able to hold 8:00 in short race. I'd hold that for the first couple and see how you feel.
              Mmm... Yeah... Those were the "supposed to be easy" runs. Instead, I put the hammer down on that 5k after I'd realized I ran 2 miles in 17:30 (it was dark out and couldn't read the HRM until I had run the first mile). SInce I didn't know what to call them, so I still called them "easy". I find it funny that you call the 5 mile a "short race". "Help me”! I can’t stop with the “quotes”.

I find it funny that you call the 5 mile a "short race".
                I know exactly what you mean. When you are a new runner all the different types of runs get really confusing. I just did the race calculator, and seems my " easy" pace is a full 2 minutes slower than I have been running! Shocked definitely a " DUH" moment for me. I suddenly feel like I am going to be able to pull off a Half this fall after all !

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Giant Flaming Dork

Just show up and run. Hard. It will be glorious.
                  Scout, I can't tell if you're serious, or if you just want me to fall on my face. Hard. The last time I went out really hard was last year at a 5k that I didn't train enough for. "Do NOT throw up in the timing chip bucket!!!" Dead and I thought the volunteers were supposed to be nice.

Lazy idiot

I think Scout is mostly serious. If you're ready to race... then race. And do it hard. You will be rewarded. And if you vomit in the chip timing bucket, get it on YouTube. Good luck!

Tick tock

Giant Flaming Dork

I know exactly what you mean. When you are a new runner all the different types of runs get really confusing. I just did the race calculator, and seems my " easy" pace is a full 2 minutes slower than I have been running! Shocked definitely a " DUH" moment for me. I suddenly feel like I am going to be able to pull off a Half this fall after all !
                      There's a guy that I work with that has been running for about a year and a half and runs at about 2:00/mi faster than he should (essentially races every training run). When I finally started running seriously this winter, he encouraged me. Lately, he's been talking trash about how "slow I run" and that at my pace "anyone could run 9 miles. The irony is that he hasn't gotten any faster in the 4 months I've been training, yet my race pace is almost to his training pace (as fast as he can run). He gets all sorts of injuries and I have never felt better. I couldn't find a better illustration of the mantra: Run lots of miles Run easy Run a few of them hard (but not too much)

Lazy idiot

Run lots of miles Run easy Run a few of them hard (but not too much)
                        You got it. I'm not suggesting you go out harder than you can, just go out and run to the best of your ability. You'll be fine.

Tick tock

Scout7

Scout, I can't tell if you're serious, or if you just want me to fall on my face. Hard. The last time I went out really hard was last year at a 5k that I didn't train enough for. "Do NOT throw up in the timing chip bucket!!!" Dead and I thought the volunteers were supposed to be nice.
                          Nope. I was serious. I wish no ill harm to you at all. I just want to see you reach past what you THINK you're capable of right now, and set a new precedent for yourself. I've done the puking thing. I've done it during and after races. You get used to it. Just try not to get it on anyone else. Here's what it comes down to: it's a race. A challenge. A personal experience where you learn a little something more about yourself. Even if you try and fail, you learn something. If you hold back and act too conservatively, all you've learned is that you could probably go faster. But how fast? You don't know till you've tried. All the calculators and predictors and people's swami-like abilities can't tell you what you can really do. Only you can do that. And you know what pushing it feels like, you've said so yourself. So, push harder this time. Explore the boundaries of your abilities. That's how we expand those boundaries. So, I say to you, go forth and explore. Push your body. Push your mind. Find your limits, and blow past them. The best predictor of performance, is performance itself.

Giant Flaming Dork

Nope. I was serious. ... So, I say to you, go forth and explore. Push your body. Push your mind. Find your limits, and blow past them. The best predictor of performance, is performance itself.
                            Damn. That was downright inspirational. I'll let you know how I do.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So, I say to you, go forth and explore. Push your body. Push your mind. Find your limits, and blow past them chunks on them.
                              Fixed

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

I find it funny that you call the 5 mile a "short race".
                                Sorry, I didn't mean that quite the way it sounded. Its not that 5 miles isn't a long way - just that it falls into that category compared to half marathon or marathon distance. I call anything 10k or under "short." Damn quotes. And sort of for the reason Scout hints at: you can just show up to those "short" races (damn quotes) and run. Hard. Even if you do go out way too fast, it'll only hurt for a while. Here's a suggestion: go out today and run an easy 3 or 4 miles. But run a mile or two of at a harder pace and test yourself to see what you can hold with relative comfort. Run at 8:00 pace for half a mile and see how it feels. If it just feels too hard, try a half mile at 8:15. Don't kill yourself. Just experiment a little bit. Then run that pace on race day for the first 3-3.5 miles. Then run as hard as you can until you puke in the chip bucket. And definitely get it on video.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------