How many days a week do you run? (Read 5563 times)

stephonya

Two months ago I began taking running seriously. In the beginning I was running three days a week but as I became fitter I moved it up to five days a week, but I've found that my body doesn't appreciate five days a week at all. Without a day off between my runs I have far more frequent "bad" runs, where it's a struggle the whole time. I don't know if it's that I'm not fit enough yet or if I'll always be a runner that needs rest between each run. I have a friend (that just ran her first marathon) that "has" to run every day, she says, or she feels like she's going nuts and her muscles seize up. Any experiences with this? Are some runners destined to run every day and others forced to skip a day in between?
      Your body's probably telling you that it's not ready to go to 5 days a week yet. If you only started 2 months ago, you might just need a little more time to adjust. I wouldn't gage what you do on your friend who just ran a marathon because they've more than likely been running significantly more than you have. Probably the most repeated advice on this site is don't do too much too soon; build up slowly. Listen to your body and if it's saying it's not ready, then ease up a bit until more of your runs start becoming enjoyable again. Also, if your body's rested more, you're a lot less likely to have injuries. (This coming from someone who read "don't do too much too soon" on here and went out and did it anyway...and spent about 10 months more benched than not.)
      mikeymike

Two months isn't very long. Take it as it comes--a year from now you might be an every day runner.

Runners run

Ice Cream

I run 6 days/week, but I have been doing it for 20 years.
          Pammie

Been running regularly since 2003 and it i have gradually built it up over time and now run everyday. I probably couldn't have done it in 2003 but feel i'm stronger now and my body can handle it. Majority of my runs are easy base Just listen to your body and act on it if you need to rest, rest.

Outside Lane

Two months isn't very long. Take it as it comes--a year from now you might be an every day runner.
              I have been running for 6 years now - outside of my training for my first HM earlier this year (I did it!), I can only manage to get 3 runs in a week at best. I hope to be better and run that first marathon before I turn 50 in about 3 years.

See how they run...

Roses Revenge

I've been at this since the spring of 2006 and I always need a rest day between hard days. I'm only just now getting to the point where some of those rest days can actually be a (very) easy day. I'm older, so that is part of it, but not all.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

That's a lot of rubbish. I've been running for 35 years. When I don't run as much, I don't get as fit. When I run a lot, I get stronger. Bottom line; the more you run, the stronger you get (within reason, that is). I run about 10~13 times a week. I haven't done doubles for quite some time. I can literally feel that I'm stronger when I run more. Did I struggle to get up there? Absolutely! Remember; the body takes 20 years to grow and mature. You cannot expect it to adjust within a few months or just a couple of years. I don't know how much you run; if you are running a couple of miles 3 times a week, then try 5 times a week, do one longer run... Do it gradually; don't go over your head. You keep within your limiation and gradually push the envelope; you'll keep improving. When you feel tired and struggle running, SLOW DOWN and take some walking breaks. That's your recovery day. Active rest is always better than complete day off. The best way to "recover" is to massage your tired muscles (by moving them) and increase oxygen supply (by exercising). Easy jogging is the best way to do it. When struggling, don't force the pace; but still get out and run.
                    It's common to try to do more and want to do more. As stated above, dont compare yourself to a person that has recently completed running a marathon. In fact, dont compare yourself to anyone but YOU. It takes a long time for the muscles, bones, tendons and heart to adapt to running. Additionally, just as important as running, is your recovery and recovery time. When I first started running, I ran every other day for quite a few months (maybe 6 mo or so). Then I moved up to running Tue, Thurs, Sat and Sunday....4 days per week. After quite a bit of time (more then two months), I added Wed so that I was running T, W, T, S, S.......and after a few years, this is still pretty much where I am. NOW - occassionally if I feel really good or am attempting a higher then normal number of miles, I will run 6 days and rest one...but this an occassional thing because I still enjoy the two days per week of rest and recovery. Increasing your mileage and distance is a gradual growth process and it cant be violated unless you want to get hurt or burned out....so if you need to stick wtit 3 days per week...then do so, and be cautious to add days and miles....and when you add them be careful and listen to your body and take time off if you need it. Additionally, it would be helpful if you would publish your running logs so we can see your progress.... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

Best Present Ever

I'd love to be able to run 6 days a week. I've found that every time I add a 5th day to my running, my knee swells -- I'm not talking a bit of puffiness I should HTFU through, but swelling that limits my range of motion, so much that my jeans are tight around the knee. After losing most of the summer's training due to a serious bought of this issue (and two cortison injections and a short course of oral steroids), I think I may have discovered the underlying cause and am going to cautiously try to add a 5th running day after I finish an upcoming half marathon. I have no doubt that the more I run, the stronger I'll get, but it's also true that the longer I'm injured, the more muscle mass I lose ...

Why is it sideways?

I would be careful to link the swelling of the knee too closely to 5 days a week vs. 4 days. I find that what injures me is intensity, not volume, and that I have much fewer aches and pains running 6 or 7 days a week than I do at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5... If you are a beginning runner, I'd encourage you to get out the door and walk for the time that you run on your other days. Overuse injuries are caused by two factors: obviously too much use, but also being too weak for the amount of running that you are doing. The solution--if you're looking to increase your mileage over the long haul--is to gain strength by running easy or walking--not necessarily to take more days off.
                        jeffdonahue

I run every day - but I am with you because when I first started I couldnt do more than 3-4 days a week without having some issues and a lot of struggling runs. Running itself will just get easier over time too - 2 months is not that long to be moving up that fast.

Best Present Ever

I would be careful to link the swelling of the knee too closely to 5 days a week vs. 4 days. I find that what injures me is intensity, not volume, and that I have much fewer aches and pains running 6 or 7 days a week than I do at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5... If you are a beginning runner, I'd encourage you to get out the door and walk for the time that you run on your other days. Overuse injuries are caused by two factors: obviously too much use, but also being too weak for the amount of running that you are doing. The solution--if you're looking to increase your mileage over the long haul--is to gain strength by running easy or walking--not necessarily to take more days off.
                            I'm not a begining runner. I've been running regularly for 10 years, for about 20 miles weeks for the first 7, and about 30 miles a week for the past 3. Everytime i start running 3 days in a row, the knee flares up. This first happened in summer 2000, and has happened about every 2 years since ... I cross train hard on the bike and elliptical at least 2 days a week. and lift weights 3 days most week. (I'm less regular about loggin the cross training, though all my runs are logged) I'm not exactly inactive, just have trouble increasing my running mileage. The working theory now is that it's an ITB band issue, even though I have no pain, just swelling (though when it swells enough, that hurts). We'll see if the intensive PT pays off, as I'd like to try for a BQ this spring, and I think increased mileage will be the key.
                            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I run three times a week and will move up to four in the future. Running more days than that just isn't an option at this point.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm running 4 or 5 days a week now. I tried 6 for a little while, but my body didn't like that. I would like to try 6 again in a few months. It's taken me two years, but I'm finally starting to feel a little stronger. Yesterday I ran 7 miles and it seemed easy! That was two days after a 10-mile run, too.