Run same distance faster or increase distance (Read 661 times)

mangler07

hi guys im currently running 5.2 miles....i started off averaging 50minutes...im now averaging 45minutes, coming to the end of the run and after the run my body is still raring to go...im not getting the sense of a good hard run from the 5.2 miles any more.....its feeling its to easy now....am i better to keep decreasing the time...or will it be better to increase the distance to achieve my goals.... my goals are weight loss and general fitness / endurance
      More miles.

On My Horse

Do you mean you run 5.2 miles every time you run? I'd suggest mixing it up, run shorter but faster some days, and then longer and the same/slower pace other days. So long as you run, you will get faster, don't sweat it.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

mangler07

yeah 5.2 miles everytime i run....i try to run day on day off but sometimes it isnt possible but everytime i run i do 5.2 miles

Why is it sideways?

False dichotomy.
            mangler07

what?

Why is it sideways?

what?
                Change the "or" to an "and." Your question poses a false dichotomy.
                mangler07

so you saying....more miles and faster paceConfused
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. He is. Not at the same time. Except sometimes, do both at the same time.
                      Change the "or" to an "and." Your question poses a false dichotomy.
                      What question.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mangler07

fair enough thanks guys

Why is it sideways?

so you saying....more miles and faster paceConfused
                          I'm saying the best way to think about your question is not in terms of eithers and ors, but in terms of ands. Keep a run or two a week where you go faster. The other runs go longer.
                          mangler07

What question.
                            referring to the "more miles OR same distance faster"....saying to change it to "more miles AND faster pace"

Why is it sideways?

referring to the "more miles OR same distance faster"....saying to change it to "more miles AND faster pace"
                              You got it, brother. Good luck! (There's one other AND that you are leaving out. More miles AND faster pace AND (sometimes) a slower pace.)
                              mangler07

You got it, brother. Good luck! (There's one other AND that you are leaving out. More miles AND faster pace AND (sometimes) a slower pace.)
                                lol got it Tongue cheersBig grin