2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

Julia1971

For Boston, I usually wait until ~3 days out before trying to figure out what the weather's going to be.  No freaking out until Thursday.

Oh, and windy too.

Dave

FSBD

For Boston, I usually wait until ~3 days out before trying to figure out what the weather's going to be.  No freaking out until Thursday.

Yup

All signs right now point to it being 85 and sunny.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

slingrunner

Running my first Boston, and I'm trying to get good info on the starting.  I've scoured the Internet but with no definitive answer.

I'm in the first wave, 6th corral, getting dropped off, and especially given the forecast, I'd rather leave a car as late as possible.  Could I get dropped off near the starting line, as opposed to Athletes Village?  Suggestions on how to do this and how early you really need to arrive?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Here's a more pedestrian question from a first-timer doing the bus & the athlete's village. I know they have some food & drink at the village, and some things are mentioned on the website. But one item not mentioned is coffee - do they have it there? Trying to figure out when to have breakfast; thinking before leaving hotel may be too early, so on the bus or in the village may be better. I'll bring my food, but need a coffee source.

Dave

NorthNorthwest

Dave: I've read multiple places that coffee is available in the Athlete's Village, along with bagels and some other foods. Someone who has actually done the race can confirm, but I think you can bank on coffee.

slingrunner: Again, others know way more - but I know I've seen people talk about this on LetsRun forums if you do a search and are willing to sift through the muck of what you find there. People talk about where to have an Uber drop you, if that's helpful to search. I've heard that the State Park is doable, and there are shuttles for volunteers you can jump on (just know you're using what's meant for volunteers). Check the "Spectators" section of the official site and there may be instructions for how to watch the start in Hopkinton (which applies to your situation). Just know that the instructions might be: "Stay away and go to Arlington, instead!"

My two cents is just take the bus, avoid contributing to traffic, have the full experience, and then don't be stressed about trying to cut it close. I'm in the corral right behind you, so with getting on the early buses there should be room under the tents when I get there. Good luck, whatever you do!

mikeymike

Could I get dropped off near the starting line, as opposed to Athletes Village?  Suggestions on how to do this and how early you really need to arrive?

Definitely not. The closest you can get in a car is Hopkinton State Park and then take a bus to Hopkinton Center (this is for spectators) or an office park off of 495 and then take a bus to the athletes village.

Runners run

Seattle prattle

Definitely not. The closest you can get in a car is Hopkinton State Park and then take a bus to Hopkinton Center (this is for spectators) or an office park off of 495 and then take a bus to the athletes village.

That's what I did last year - my ride dropped me off at the office park and i took a bus the few miles to athlete's village. Everything was smooth enough though we did misjudge the time it would take on the bus significantly, so i ended up running what seemed like about almost a mile from the bus (athlete's village) to get to the starting line, and by the time i did, i was at least a wave lower than the one i was supposed to start in.

slingrunner

Thanks Seattle.  Can you provide guidance on how much time needs to be allowed for that bus ride?

Seattle prattle

Thanks Seattle.  Can you provide guidance on how much time needs to be allowed for that bus ride?

Actually, I can't and don't really remember from last year all that well. But when you go to the expo there are information booths and they should have absolutely everything you would need to know.Just consider that once they drop you off near the athlete's village, you still have a ways to walk to the starting line, and that was at least a half mile or more...

Julia1971

Hmm...  Just did my last run on my home turf and it was around 63 degrees - the forecasted high temperature for Boston on Monday - and it felt warm.  I'm thinking if the rain isn't heavy, it might actually feel good.  I'm also starting to think the wind might be more of an issue.

slingrunner

Trying to do some last minute acclimating in case the temperatures are warm, but it's probably too late to help.  If it really is in the 60s, I'm rooting for plenty of rain and wind, especially since we know the wind won't be a headwind.  Anxiously awaiting runweather.com update.

delicate flower

Trying to do some last minute acclimating in case the temperatures are warm, but it's probably too late to help.  If it really is in the 60s, I'm rooting for plenty of rain and wind, especially since we know the wind won't be a headwind.  Anxiously awaiting runweather.com update.

Here is what you can do for heat acclimation two days out from the race: Dress light.

<3

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Answering a couple questions above:

- food and coffee in Athlete's Village - yes.  Coffee, bagels, bananas, and maybe some food bars, in the big tents.

- I don't know about trying to get to the start line from the north, vs. getting there through Athlete's Village.  I've always ridden the bus out from Boston so I don't know, but I suspect security is fairly heavy on the north side.  You might be able to talk your way past a sympathetic person, but you might also find yourself sent around to the south/Athlete's Village.  There's a lot of process in getting people from Athlete's Village to the start - they tell you when your wave should leave the village, then you wait in a staging area for a few minutes, then you walk down to the start.

Good luck to all of you running Monday.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Good luck to everyone! Unfortunately, I'm going to be sitting out what was supposed to be my first Boston, First time ever knee issue cropped up a few weeks ago and just won't go away. Really bummed after training through the winter for the first time. But, I have a qualifying time form last fall for Boston 2020 and will try again next year!

Best of luck to everyone!!