Cool animation of an animal cell in action (Read 732 times)

Dog-Love

Maybe it's just because I'm a physiologist, but I love watching this animation made by Harvard Medical School that shows some activities that your cells are doing everyday, like reading DNA and making proteins and white blood cells moving between cells and motor proteins like the ones that make your muscles move (hey there's the running link!) http://aimediaserver.com/studiodaily/videoplayer/?src=harvard/harvard.swf&width=640&height=520 If nothing else, the music is kind of addicting.
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Needs narration. Very cool, but I wanted to know what I was seeing. What was the thing "walking" while towing a big balloon-thing? did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wanna see what it looks like when my white blood cells go postal on my sinus infection...muwahahahaa!!! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Needs narration. Very cool, but I wanted to know what I was seeing. What was the thing "walking" while towing a big balloon-thing? did
          That balloon thing is like a packet of neurotransmitters (chemicals in your brain) that is being delivered right to the cell membrane where it will wait to be released outside the cell (also another of those animations). Those little motor proteins that walk it down the cell's inside skeleton are similar to the one's that move your muscle proteins There you have it! Thanks for watching it.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Dog-Love

I wanna see what it looks like when my white blood cells go postal on my sinus infection...muwahahahaa!!! Big grin
            That would be a biological snuff film.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

That balloon thing is like a packet of neurotransmitters (chemicals in your brain) that is being delivered right to the cell membrane where it will wait to be released outside the cell (also another of those animations). Those little motor proteins that walk it down the cell's inside skeleton are similar to the one's that move your muscle proteins There you have it! Thanks for watching it.
              At the risk of being told to shut up and go get a biochemistry degree (which I would really enjoy doing, if I didn't have to, y'know, have a place to live, and support Zoomy's shoe habit, and my bike habit), how do motor proteins work? did

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Thanks for the link! That's pretty cool stuff. Wish we had more of these videos when I took cell biology back in college. The textbook diagrams were pretty close to the video, but it would be neat to watch the movements of the molecules instead of filling in the intermediate steps using my imagination. did: go get a biochemistry degree Big grin

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

did: go get a biochemistry degree Big grin
                  **kick** did

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

OK, this is just... so... Well, it was 1971. Protein Synthesis in Interpretive Dance did

Dog-Love

At the risk of being told to shut up and go get a biochemistry degree (which I would really enjoy doing, if I didn't have to, y'know, have a place to live, and support Zoomy's shoe habit, and my bike habit), how do motor proteins work? did
                      Motor proteins have like this little golf-club head that attaches to another protein and then moves kind of like a ratchet. Lots of them working together contracts your muscles. Takes energy (ATP) to make the movement. As for the retro protein synthesis movie.... OMG...its so long! But I might have to show that to my Fundamentals of Biology class. Definitely 70's. Love the ribosome dance.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, this is just... so... Well, it was 1971. Protein Synthesis in Interpretive Dance did
                        I'm suddenly inspired to see if there's any Iron Butterfly on iTunes...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, Sherry - that was cool Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group