Need a marathon goal (Read 1137 times)

grinch031

I just ran a half marathon two weeks ago in just under 1:42.  I'm planning to run a full marathon in October, and plan to spend about 30-35 miles per week in training for about 16 weeks, but significantly less in the weeks between now and the start of training.

What is a good goal for me?

an amazing likeness

What do you want to do with this marathon ?

Enjoy it and be sure finish to have done a marathon?

Race it and finish the best time possible ?

Run hard but finish?

or...pick another option....

That's going to determine what you're aiming for in terms of pace and training plan.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Try reading this.

Not at it at all. 

grinch031

What do you want to do with this marathon ?

Enjoy it and be sure finish to have done a marathon?

Race it and finish the best time possible ?

Run hard but finish?

or...pick another option....

That's going to determine what you're aiming for in terms of pace and training plan.

It will be my second one, so my goal is to get the best time possible given my current form and time constraints.

an amazing likeness

... --- ...

...---...

xor

I promise that I am not writing this as a smart alecky response.  This is real.  When you are asking for a "good goal", are you asking about a plan between now and the start of training?  Or are you asking for us to help pick a time goal for your marathon?

I'm assuming you mean the second one.  Here are two places to start:

Jim2's marathon time predictor discussion.

AND

Greg McMillan's running calculator.

grinch031

Try reading this.

Way to troll, that thread has nothing to do with this thread. 

xor

It will be my second one, so my goal is to get the best time possible given my current form and time constraints.

FWIW, the McMillan predictor works better for people who run a lot more miles than you are intending.  30-35mpw for 16 weeks with not much prep (which is what running "significantly less" between now and then implies) is really really really small for getting ready for a marathon.  Not saying don't do it; not saying it is wrong; not calling you out.

xor

Sigh.

Actually, it has EVERYTHING to do with this thread.

For real.

No fooling.

grinch031

I promise that I am not writing this as a smart alecky response.  This is real.  When you are asking for a "good goal", are you asking about a plan between now and the start of training?  Or are you asking for us to help pick a time goal for your marathon?

I'm assuming you mean the second one.  Here are two places to start:

Jim2's marathon time predictor discussion.

AND

Greg McMillan's running calculator.

I'm trying to find a goal finish time for the marathon.

xor

Okey doke.  Well, there are two places to look.

Good luck.

an amazing likeness

Multiple your half marathon by 2.3 - 2.5.  You'll be doing well if you make that time on 30 - 35 mpw.

Prince of Fatness

Honestly, after that mess of a thread, you open another thread and ask for a marathon goal peaking at 35 MPW.  I took that as you throwing out another line.  Weird how people misunderstand things on the interwebs, isn't it?

So OK, you are serious.  Based on your half time and the mileage you plan on running I would shoot for around 4 hours.

Not at it at all. 

Using the 10K : Marathon ratio in Jim's article gives an estimate of 4:10.

Using your half time with McMillian gives 3:35.

I would pick a goal between these 2 numbers.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

grinch031

FWIW, the McMillan predictor works better for people who run a lot more miles than you are intending.  30-35mpw for 16 weeks with not much prep (which is what running "significantly less" between now and then implies) is really really really small for getting ready for a marathon.  Not saying don't do it; not saying it is wrong; not calling you out.

My constraints are what they are, 30-35 miles per week.   I just came off a 27 mile per week half marathon training schedule which has me in my best running form ever.  I plan to cut back to about 10 right now (peak tennis season for me), and work on speed and gradually begin increasing my mileage up until my official start date.

I know it can be done because 2 years ago I ran a full marathon in 4:18 with 15 miles per week.  Not that I was proud of that because I was under-trained and walked alot in the last couple miles, but I still completed it.