3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I think there's a link to tracking right on the front page of moab200.com

I'm having the best luck under leaders cause Max is #2 and #1 seems to have dnf'd.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I think there's a link to tracking right on the front page of moab200.com

I'm having the best luck under leaders cause Max is #2 and #1 seems to have dnf'd.

Max is bib#2, not position #2, or any other kind of #2.  Looks like he's about midpack, 163 miles in.  Only 75 miles to go, and that sounds a lot more like something I'd say about a road trip than about a race...

pepperjack

pie man

But the lead board shows by number not position, so he's right at the top.  I didn't mean to imply he was leading...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

My week (still on the elliptical and bike):

• M: 90 min XT
          • T: rd
          • W: 90min XT, weights
          • Th: spin class
          • F: 90 min XT
          • S: 90 min XT
          • S: rd
          Jim E

Well that got my attention. Max is leading? Oh, OK.

I just had a weekend of camping up there in Humboldt county, where there is no smoke unless you stand downwind of some of the locals. The drive up involved going through Santa Rosa where we saw some grim sights. No I did not take pictures of that.  Oh yes, and there was a half marathon. I PRd at this one last year, not so much this time. The first half went ok, but I sagged somewhat in the second half. Part of this was mental. A bunch of people stayed away, including rlk's entire team, because this race was dropped from the team scoring for reasons to do with the fires. I was short of people to pace with, but I was also slower. 1:34:00 ugh. That was good enough to get me 3rd AG, but they have me second because of double dipping. My prize was a medal/bottle-opener plus a bottle of Mendocino Red Trail. I immediately applied one to the other, and then my time didn't seem so bad. On reflection, maybe five days of sitting about and (effectively) smoking was not the best preparation.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

weekly word-vomit. apologies in advance!

yes, as jim said, our team sat out the half. it was mainly due to concerns about traveling up there, through fire-land, and also being on roads where emergency crews from neighboring states are trying to rush in to contain fires. once a few people said they were skipping it, that became the trend ... would no longer be a fun team event with no "team" there, and also we scoped things out from other teams and learned that many other teams would also not be going, therefore what's the point of driving 9 hours to/from a race if you won't have many people to actually race? i was bummed on friday when we decided this, but reading the news put things into perspective and suddenly it seemed silly to feel dramatic about a running race.

some friends and i woke up early saturday morning, checked the air quality index in a few neighboring cities, and drove to the best one. we got in a solid 20miler there and it was so lovely to breathe in decent quality air for the first time in a week!

jim- " there is no smoke unless you stand downwind of some of the locals." ha, very true.

mcB/dad- "You'd end up w/ Sage Canaday." lol! dad knows me well. i only have connections in certain circles... Smile  noah is a bit too cool for me.

eliz- that sounds like a tough workout! i like on/off type intervals that go by time, but when it's such a large number that you just have to think about counting for the entire run instead of zoning out ... less fun. nice work.

brew- rolling my eyes. hehe.

phoffer- funny to see where they draw the line with canceling sporting activities. all running races in the bay area have been cancelled this weekend/this week (talked to a friend this morning whose daughter runs high school XC here). but a lucrative football game?! i guess not...
              also yeah, i was supposed to do a ragnar relay whose course meanders through wine country. cancelled. that would have been devastating to see.

dwave- "I started struggling at mile 25.5" this is awesome and is a metric of what a machine you are - in terms of prep, pacing, and executing. nicely done. i know you don't love the time you ran, but as the others said, you should be proud of it!! super solid (way better than most of us :P ) and given all the crap that's gone on recently, it's truly awesome.

zab- hello! yes, mcB is ringleader. balls and tables are fair game.

as usual... where is max right now? is his brain still in one piece? how about his quads? either way, many more balls/tables than the rest of us!

despite some added stress/particulates in my lungs/uncertainty of running, week was pretty solid:
              m- 7.6mi ez
              t- AM 3mi ez, PM 12mi incl colleen quigley and previously reported michigan miles workout
              w- 6mi slow
              th- 7mi@7:47, treadmill, smoke everywhere
              f- 1hr core/leg strength/pre-hab
              sa- 20mi incl 6.2@7:25 (MP?). wanted that to be 8 but didn't happen
              su- 7.1mi slow
              = 63mi!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Pesto

e78 - forgot to mention it, but thanks for the feedback on Pfitz! The repetitiveness of it may be another good reason to cut it shorter to maybe 14-16 weeks instead of 18.

max - hope you're still alive somewhere!

DkW - huge congrats on a perfectly executed race, under tough conditions (not only weather-wise). Oh, and great RR. I find it amazing that you are able to pace a marathon based on effort so well. Also, that PR is a ridiculous time for a first marathon!

ace - tough day out there, I checked the weather and it looked horrendous with the wind / temps / humidity. Great attitude to finish though! How are you feeling?

JimE - well done on the podium and the bottle of wine!

rlk - another great week!

Hi everyone else! My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                Mon 7.5 8:17 1:02 Lunch Run strava
                Wed 6.2 8:25 0:51 Lunch Run strava
                Thu 5.2 8:26 0:44 Lunch Run strava
                Sun 0.7 7:37 0:05 Warm up strava
                Sun 6.3 6:10 0:38 Budapest Marathon 10k race - Official 38:35 strava
                Sun 1.3 9:42 0:12 Jog back home after the race strava
                  27.2 7:52 3:34

I wanted to keep the mileage low this week in view of the 10k race on Sunday. We drove to Budapest on Friday, so I thought I'd have two days off before Sunday. On Saturday, I went to register at the expo, and was very close to registering for the FM. I got a bit carried away, but managed to control my impulses and registered for the 10k. Glad I did, did since Sunday was quite warm in the end. On Sunday, the FM started 45 mins before the 10k, so I got to see the start. It was tough not racing with them. I actually got a bit emotional seeing them all go, it was weird. Feeling like that made me realize that I'm a runner now. Or just a weirdo.

Anyway, the race went very well. I didn't really know what to expect as my right glute continues to be a bit tight and overall I have not been feeling at my best when running (my effort level feels a bit higher than normal for a given pace). However, once the gun went off and I started running, I was feeling good. I ran the first km by effort and when I checked the time, it said 3:52 (6:13 pace). I was feeling in control and it definitely felt sustainable as long as my glute cooperated. So, I stayed around that pace throughout the race, until the last 1-1.5 km when I sped up a bit. KM splits: 3:52-3:52-3:50-3:50-3:51-3:51-3:52-3:51-3:53- 3:41 (I couldn't believe how even they were, so I had to share). I kept passing people during the last 2-3 km. For the last 100 m I sprinted and passed one last person. It felt good. Final time: 38:35. So, very pleased with it, got my sub-40 by a good margin.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome race report Dwave

My 14th week of training last week. One more peak week and tapering begins

Day Miles Pace Description
                  Mon 11.02 8:32 Easy 11
                        Weights/Strength Training 30 min
                  Tue     Foam Rolling 15 min
                    9.25 7:26 10X800 3:08, 3:11, 3:12, 3:13, 3:11, 3:12, 3:14, 3:11, 3:10, 3:11
                  Wed     Spin Class 30 min
                    5 8:29 Easy 5 on the treadmill
                  Thu 12.46 7:23 10 MP
                        Foam Rolling 20 min
                        Spinning 30min
                  Fri     Strength Training 30 min
                        Tabata spinning 13 min
                  Sat 22.28 8:26 Week 14 LSD
                  Sun     Foam Rolling 15 min
                    11.22 8:06 Trail running with group
                  Total 71.23    

Average weekly mileage last 12 weeks 55.9
                  Arvind Balaraman

JimE posted:

... up there in Humboldt county, where there is no smoke unless you stand downwind of some of the locals ...

Ha! I've been to Humbay; I get it!

DkW ~ Well done. Weather is a huge variable.

Pesto ~ Congrats on the 10K PR.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Looks like  max got in a good nap recently. Hopefully someone is checking the social media group and giving him updates of the nice things we're saying.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Well, it was a rough go yesterday. Weather was a little deceptive. Felt cooler than it was.

Short version (maybe a loger RR to come):

Felt smooth the first 1/2. Nourished and hydrated more than planned due to humidity. Still felt great from 13-17...then the wheels came off. Bad muscle cramps...had to resort to alternating run/walking. Changed my focus from time to just getting across that finish line. Really tough conditions in second half. Temps in the 70s, humidity 90+%, winds gusting 25+mph (knocking over race signs and traffic cones). Pretty disappointed in the result, but not too down on myself considering conditions. I’m in better shape than I’ve been in 6+ years. Gotta find an opportunity to show it.

I did think this was a fun and well organized race, and I really enjoyed Columbus. May come back another year.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Temps in the 70s, humidity 90+%, winds gusting 25+mph (knocking over race signs and traffic cones)

Ugh to the ugh power. That sounds dreadful.

Temps in the 70s, humidity 90+%, winds gusting 25+mph (knocking over race signs and traffic cones)

Ugh to the ugh power. That sounds dreadful.

Gawd awful. Survival weather ...

Speed Surplus

Nice negative split, Darkwave!

Sorry about the wind and the fade, Ace.

That's a super impressive 10k, Pesto.

Max, I hope you're alive.

Cool story, RLK! And I don't mean that sarcastically.

My week was light on the mileage, but it did include this. As usual, the HR was bananas on that last run.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                                Wed 5.0 8:22 Getting over cold 150 154 strava
                                Fri 6.7 24:44 Lake Angeles hike 0 2549 strava
                                Sat 6.1 8:37 Deceptively hilly country road 175 497 strava
                                  17.8 14:35     3200

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12