3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

keen -  on the hip (and the new job)

ilana -  on the pelvis

jim -  on the rib

dw - hopefully a  on the SI joints

dad -  living in an armpit

Hey to everybody!

My hip seems good-to-go, so I'm going to try a tempo tonight with my club  (I'll go with a slower group than usual)

ETA (nice mileage climberdave)

keen on the hip (and the new job)

ilana on the pelvis

jim on the rib

dw - hopefully a  on the SI joints

dad living in an armpit

Hey to everybody!

My hip seems good-to-go, so I'm going to try a tempo tonight with my club  (I'll go with a slower group than usual)

ETA (nice mileage climberdave)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Commander: Welcome back! You saw some amazing wildlife! You'll get your fitness back quickly. The important thing is getting your hip back to normal. That's such a great benefit offered by your work. Keep us posted on the promotion.

Ace Harris: Oh no!! That is awful. Especially since you hadn't even worn those new shorts. Well, at least you hadn't yet formed an emotional attachment.

Brewing Runner: Yummmm. Oatmeal Stout! I am considering buying an Audi next year, so thanks for the tip about the sensor. Looks like you are gaining all kinds of new skillz.

PepperJack: That's cool about Under Armor. I was a part of their influencer campaign last spring on Instagram.

Darkwave: Great week and running to spectate the MCM is such a fun way to get the miles in. I feel like I always see you when I do a race on the Hains Point course- and while you are not there specifically to cheer for me, I always enjoy seeing you. Are you spectating Richmond? I will be going down there to spectate too. I have a bunch of friends running. It will be my birthday and I can't think of a better way to spend it!

Climber: Wow - outstanding mileage.

Ilana: Sorry to hear that walking is tough too. Yeah, probably worth a call to the doctor.

DAD4JZ + DarkWave: I used to live in that Armpit 8 years ago!

Katia: The scary experience you talk about is a daily occurrence for me even with heavy duty gloves and mittens and hand warmers. First thing I do after a run is put my hands under a warm faucet for about 2-3 minutes! Isn't it nice that fall has finally arrived?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I haven't updated in awhile. Because I had that 3 x 3 tempo on Friday, my long run got pushed to Monday of this week. It was 16 miles with the last 6 starting at MP and progressing faster depending on how I felt. Well, it was so friggin' humid! 62 degrees and 100% humidity. I could literally see droplets of moisture in the air with my headlamp. Even though I technically hit the paces it felt very hard. I "bonked" after mile 15 so the 16th mile was a very strained 7:28 pace (after having progressed down to 7:15). I'm seriously hoping it was the humidity that made the run hard.

Today was my last hard workout before the marathon next Saturday. It was 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile at tempo pace, all with 4 minutes recovery jog. The goal was to start at the slow end of my tempo range for the 3 miles and progress to the fast end of the range. Paces were 7:07, 7:02, 6:55, 6:48, 6:46, 6:41. Everything felt pretty good, and I was pushing pretty hard at the end. But it was a good hard, unlike the bonk from Monday.

Achilles tendons are doing pretty good. Fingers crossed they stay that way!

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Running Problem

Problem Child

Max Want to spend my birthday together? This should logically be exactly where I start aiming to PR and BQ 2018.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

ck: I love our kids' input on running. My daughter asks me all the "did you win your run today?" I've stopped saying, "it wasn't a race." and now say "of course!" She also runs through the house to "earn" a sip of my chocolate milk after my runs.

elizabeth: you underestimate my ability to develop attachment to running clothes. Especially when I get them on a good deal!

My running coach gave me a HRM yesterday to start using. Curious what that data will look like and how possibly depressing it may be. It's a garmin chest strap. Wore it on yesterday's run. I assumed it'd be annoying, but you barely know it's there. Also got new shoes yesterday to replace the lost ones. Brooks Ghost 10. I love/hate getting new model shoes. The first couple runs always feel a little off.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Jim - Glad the rib is better. Somehow I missed that something was wrong with it, though. DD1 has, on multiple occasions, informed me that she's faster than I am so her being my coach could fit.
              I'd be interested in the CIM RR. I always enjoy reading RRs.

Rovatti - Thank you all around, and I'm glad your hip is better as well. I haven't tried any speed work on mine yet.

E11 - Thanks! That did look like a tough finish to a difficult run. Which marathon are you running again? And I'm glad your Achilles are doing well.

Brew - That looks like a great way to spend a birthday!

Ace - Kiddo's are great, and do have some great input on running (and just about everything else). It's awesome that your daughter earns her recovery drinks like that!
              Unsolicited advice: If you're going to start training at all by HR I recommend that you also start tracking your resting HR and using that in zone calculations.

I'm feeling somewhat intimidated by my HM tomorrow. The only other race I think I've been less fit for was my very first 5k, before which I had no training. I may wear the shirt from last year's race (the inaugural), rather than one of my "serious business" shirts just to show that I've got a streak going for this race. Fun times!

ETA: I just checked the forecast for the race tomorrow. 31* with a ~6MPH north wind. At least the wind shouldn't be 10-15mph against me (from the south) for the last 5k like last year!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

robwantstorun

... I did get some super heavy duty mittens after a scary experience this winter where I had to run my hands under water for quite a bit to have feeling in them again.

Raynauds?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

Jim E

rovatti on the hip.

Eliz - Is Raynauds common amongst women runners? I know at least two who have it. Well done on the tempo workouts, and I should think the humidity did make a difference.

Brew - Good luck with the bad idea!

Ace - Maybe every run is a win anyway.

Keen  Good luck tomorrow!

This week will be a slight stepback in miles, but with some quality. I'm going to race XC on Sunday. I've been surprised at how quickly my rib has been mending. I had one week of discomfort, sleeping only on my back, limited running, etc, one week where it was so-so, and now it's not a problem at all. I risked something a little strenuous yesterday, a kayak rolling class that I booked before all this happened. The instructor asked me which direction I wanted to roll, and I took left (the rib side) because the leading arm has it easy. I ended up doing some OK rolls (needs work), and today my right shoulder is stiff. Oh well.

kayak rolling???  I'm impressed.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Quick drive by - back home, took care of Way Too Many Things I Said I'd Do After Moab, semi-recovered, starting to run again.  RR is percolating to the top of the To-Do list now that all the urgent stuff is done.  Well, most of it, more on that later.  Lots of catchup to do here.  The email notifications rarely work for me and apparently it's out of sight, out of mind for me.  I will mention that I spent a fair amount of time in the Moab Brewery before and after the race.  In fact, the first night I sat down at the bar and the guy next to me was running the race too.  Moab is the American version of Chamonix.  Lots of people who spend the morning climbing, the afternoon biking, and the evening in the brewery.  And all about 60 years younger than me (and even more years after I finished the race).  I hope everyone is well.

pepperjack

pie man

I 'won' a 5k today.  Which is odd because I was 3rd human and 5th mammal across the line.

but it was a quirk of the race, a fundraiser for the local animal shelter, which allows/encourages people to run with their dogs.  So they have two categories--solo runners and runners with dogs--usually the winner is solo.  But my friend showed and ran with his dog, and doing roughly his amerstrrdam pace he and his family dog won by over a minute and a half.  Second overall was also with his very relaxed-looking dog. So in getting third I was given first. Don't worry, I'm confused too.  Decent gift card prize (top 3 running with dogs also got similar prizes) and an acceptable 19:17 on a rolling course and it was a productive day.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

kayak rolling???  I'm impressed.

Moi aussi.  Jim - how was the cross-country?

Smax - welcome back.  I was getting worried (not too worried, since I had Strava to confirm you were still out there.

PJ - congrats on the first/third place.  (Isn't there a bank named first third?)

My week: 37 miles running and 11 miles pool-running.  Split as:
                          M: yoga and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                          T: 4.5 very easy (9:45) plus some injury prevention work; then got SI joint injected.
                          W: Walking and yoga
                          Th: upper body weights, core, 5 "miles" pool-running.
                          F: 5 miles to yoga (9:22), yoga, then another 5.5 miles home (8:58) plus drills and two strides.
                          Sa: 12 miles moderate (7:50), followed by upper body weights and some leg strengthwork.
                          Su: 10 miles easy (8:38)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Piecemeal catchup, one page at a time going backwards in time...

Jim: Glad your mysteriously-injured rib is mending.  Cool on the kayak rolling.

PJ: Dang - 19:17 5k for the win!  That's really fast.

Dad: Good to see you show up here - for some reason I thought we lost you with the Other forums.

Elizabeth: Hard workout one week before a marathon?  (insert head-scratching emoticon here)

Brew: You talking the AR50?  I generally don't travel for anything less than 100k (and met someone at Moab who won't fly from Hawaii to the mainland for anything less than 200M), but I could make an exception.  Have to figure out next year.  I kinda put myself in the doghouse by doing too many things this year.

Ace: HRM straps can cause chafing if you use them every day.  Not sure how I know that.

Keen: How'd the HM go?

Darkwave: Cool niche - pool running blog.

Ilana: Apparently things are not good in Ilanaland. 

My DW made a very sudden trip to CA on Fri because her dad - who had his first about-to-die episode 3 years ago - seemed to go downhill very quickly.  After being there with her siblings for a few hours he seemed to perk up with the attention so she's coming back on Tuesday.  That's how things have gone for the past ~6 months - lots of trips down there for her (mostly planned in advance).  But, it probably isn't too long now so DW, DS1 and I will probably do a quick down-and-back driving trip in the next week or so to see him.  And then I will head back east soon after that, mostly to see my (demented) dad but also running a couple small races while I'm out there to distract me from the probability that he won't recognize me this trip.  Good times here in aging-parents-land.

pj - nice 5K.  (It seems to me, you should be running short roads and track, rather than ultras)

maxie - I'm getting a bit of that myself (i.e. aging issues with parents and inlaws).  Old age can be terrifying at times.

E78 - Good luck on Sat.  ... and nice 3,2,1 tempo

"Hey" to dls, nick, and ghetto (if you're lurking)

My week: (cardio is OK, but running stresses out my hammies...)

• M: 4 easy, 30min XT
                              • T: weights
                              • W: 7 easy
                              • Th: 9 with 6@7:25
                              • F: 1h XT, weights
                              • S: 8 easy
                              • S: 7 easy

total=35

AceHarris

PJ: nice job on the 5k! My dog would literally die if I tried to race a 5k with him.

Elizabeth: which marathon are you running? Killer 3:2:1 workout!

4 runs this week for 30 miles (5, 7, 6, 12). All at easy pace.

Started back cross training and drills as well.

cold 12 miler today. Windchill 34, occasional sleet, but plenty of Fall colors. Easy TN in the Fall is gorgeous.

Either my new shoes are giving me some new sore areas or I’m still working out aches/pains from the marathon then 5k, but I’m thinking it’s the kicks. Hopefully I’ll work through it.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)