3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Arvind Balaraman

My training last week. Started tapering for my race on Nov 11

Day Miles Pace Description
    Mon 5.63 8:11 Easy 5
          Bootcamp 45 min
    Tue     Foam Rolling 20 min
      6.11 8:58 Hill repeats
    Wed     Foam Rolling 15 min
      4 7:59 1 mile at 6:11, rest at 8:34
    Thu     Foam rolling 15 min
      0:43 7:20 7 at MP with 1 WU, 1CD
          Core workout 30 min
    Fri     Foam Rolling 15 min
          Strength Training 45 min
    Sat 18.23 8:01 Week 16 LSD with some hill repeats
    Sun 8.38 8:05

Trail run

Total 51.38    

Average weekly mileage last 15 weeks 52.28

PJ ~ Congrats. Or woof!

SMax ~ I guess I'm like a booger or something.

E78 ~ Have a great taper week.

Training has progressed to point where I have something reasonable to post:

(S): 5K XC race

M) 7 easy

Tu) 7 easy

W) 7 easy

Th) 14.5 w/ 15-10-10-5 minutes tempo (~6:33 on TM) w/ 5' rec

F) 4.5 easy

Sa) 11 w/ 5x3 min hard (5:5X) on dirt 'track' w/ 3' rec

Su) 8 easy

Total: 59 (which isn't 60 goal due to bad math!) plus misc core, mobility, and rowing

pepperjack

pie man

M - 8

T - 7.5 (relay night 1200 @ 5:50, 800 @ 5:50, 800 @ 5:45, 800 @ 6:00, 400 @ 5:10, 400 @ 5:15)

W - 7

T -  5.5

F - 4 (cutback for the race)

S - 5 (5k - 19:17, medium hill at start--5:59 first mile, slight uphill finish)

S - 6 (windy and rainy recovery instead of a long run)

T - 43 less than the goal, but I'll take a good 5k result (last time I ran that fast in that park I ran my marathon PR a few months later)

Dwave - fifth third bank, I think from the weirdness that is ohio

rov - I like doing the short stuff, but I like the crazy things too.  My best everything comes when I train for marathons so I feel like i should keep doing that.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Strict WTF adherent

PJ - Congrats on sort-of winning. No running for your dog? I'd try something like that with mine, but she would completely spaz out and try to play with/eat/hump all the other dogs.

Max - 

Hello to everyone

My week :

Mon - 5.7 easy and 2.1 dog

Tues - weights and 2.1 easy

Wed - 6 hills and 2 recovery

Thurs - TURD

Fri - 7.6 easy

Sat - 9.3 with strides

Sun - 6.7 easy

Total - 41.5 ... a little short of what I was planning. But things happen.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

AceHarris: Yeah, I found that the Garmin HR strap is pretty comfortable. Heart rate data is individualized so if your data doesn't match those charts, don't be alarmed. Did you have a VO2 max test? That's really the most accurate way to know what your personal zones are. I've found the Mizuno Wave Inspire to actually hurt my feet on the first two runs, but then they feel awesome. I am running Indianapolis Monumental.

Commander: I'm running Indianapolis Monumental on Saturday. 31 degrees with only 6 mph wind sounds ideal for a half. Hope it went well.

JimE: Raynauds is more common in women than in men. I don't think it's specific to runners, but runners notice it more because they spend more time outside. I was born with blue feet and they didn't turn normal for a few days. So I have always had the problem. Thanks for your encouragement on the humidity making things hard. That's such great news about your Rib! Glad it's feeling better and so quickly. Hope the race went well.

Seattle: Glad you got to spend some time at the brewery. Sounds like a fun "culture" of climbing, biking and drinking. The last hard workout was 9 days before the marathon, and not as hard as most of my workouts, so I think I'll recover nicely from it in time for the race.

Pepper: Congratulations on the 5K. That's cool about the dogs, although I think it would have been a total distraction for me. Glad you got a nice gift card as a prize.

Darkwave: Nice week! Glad to see you are getting back into it. Do you have any shorter races planned for November/December?

Rovatti: Thank you! Great week for you!

Arvind: Great week. Which race are you running? Richmond? I'm going to spectate that one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I had a sharpening workout this morning. 5 x 800m - but not all out. Just enough to get my legs moving quickly and maintain the speed. We also had a high wind advisory with 22 mph sustained winds, which is pretty brutal for a track workout. I ran this workout somewhat timidly with my race on Saturday, and with the track being wet and dark to start. 3:30, 3:26, 3:25, 3:19, 3:16. Taper madness hasn't started yet, except for I keep feeling phantom pains in various places in my legs.

It's the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon and I don't have a bib number yet (I guess they don't announce those beforehand?) But I think you all can figure out my first and last name from my blog link if you are interested in tracking. The weather right now looks AWESOME but it keeps changing so I don't think it's solidified yet: 48 at the start, 52 at the finish, 80% cloud cover, 8mph winds. I wouldn't mind if it were a little cooler, but beggars can't be choosers.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - Good to hear from you again. And how is a RR for your step-up-from-imaginary friends not the top of the priority list??
              I'm dealing with something similar, though a different generation. It is tough.

PJ - Congrats on the win, even if it was confusing. I'm jealous that 19:17 is "acceptable", rather than nearly a PR!

Dad - Very nice week.

My HM went really well. It was about 30* with a 5-10mph N wind at the start, and for the first time in my life I was a little self-conscious about being the only guy NOT wearing tights.

I started off at harder-than-easy but not marathon effort and largely went by feel. A multi-week hiatus from running (especially just before a race) was something I had never had before, so I had no idea how much endurance or speed I'd have.
              One guy jumped to the lead pretty quickly, and I was more or less running with two local guys for the first 9 miles or so. The first three miles are pretty flat as they're in town (lead guy was up by ~2 min by 3 miles), then you head outside of town and the rolling hills start. Last year several of the hills looked huge to me, this year the seemed about the same as what I was running on every day. what a difference a year makes. I knew things flattened out and went somewhat downhill again after mile 10 (lead guy was ~3 min ahead at that point) and I decided to open things up since I was still feeling really good. I kept up a gradual increase in effort for the entire last 5k and ended up ~20 seconds behind the leader at the finish. I felt great the entire time, and even when clocking a last mile that would have been ~10k-ish pace I didn't feel like I was straining. I guess I have more fitness than I figured I'd have after that break.
              There was definitely less competition this year, which is the only reason I finished second (just like in the inaugural last year). Last year the winner was 1:14:low, I was 1:29:low; this year we were about 1:40.

All-in-all I'm definitely happy with how it went, but now I need to find a way to get my lazy glutes out of bed to run in the morning before Tulsa.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Elizabeth78--FWIW, you can get your bib number if you have the Monumental app on your phone. That's how I found out mine.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

NACN ~ What kind of shape are you in?

Katia77

Ace - hopefully you're able to get through the foot issues.

Jim - glad your rib is feeling better!

Elizabeth - I actually have Raynaud's a bit, too.  It's bad in my feet, actually. The scary part about my experience wasn't the hands going numb as much as the vasovagal reaction that came along with it. It hit hard about half a mile from home in about 15 degrees and it was pretty terrifying, especially since my phone had turned off from the cold. I got heavy duty mittens after that, but I do think the vasovagal reaction was initiated from my hands just being way too cold, as odd as that sounds. Good luck at Indy!!

Smax - Sorry to hear about FIL. My FIL is in the same position - had his 1st real "about to die" episode a month or so ago, which prompted a trip DH and I had all of an hour's notice for. He's going back up there this week, too.. I imagine it'll be a monthly occurrence at this point.  Oddly, our parents are the same age despite the 10 year gap between me and DH, but you can really tell they've lived different lifestyles at this point.

Ran 5.7 on Saturday.. not sure what I'll get to do this week bc DH is out of town most of it and I'm busy at work. I guess it's good I'm not training for anything so it's not a big deal regardless.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Arvind Balaraman

Arvind: Great week. Which race are you running? Richmond? I'm going to spectate that one.

- - - -

Yes Richmond

Jim E

Keen - Nice job on the half, but it sounds like you were able to take it easy.

Katia - I had to look up vasovagal. Yikes. Did you faint?

Eliz - Phantom pains sounds plenty taper-y to me. That weather seems decent. Are you OK in could-be-cooler conditions?

NACN - Hi there!

I would be posting my week about now, but Garmin's CSV export seems to be busted. I did 75.1 miles apparently.

Running Problem

Problem Child

max DW said "I thought you said no more ultras" so she might be right. I might be using it as a motivating factor (death) to start training for Chicago. Maybe I should just focus on getting miles and miles and miles in starting after DS is born. I'm glad you spent a lot of time in the bar brewery.

elizabeth Good luck for the race.

NaCN wow...long time no see. I need to get out more.

Keen good job on the half.

chicago for those who have time qualified did you just use the results page from the marathon you ran? I'm not sure if I should use that or Athlinks. Paranoia about a computer not searching for my name and the system not having a manual human searching results daily for time qualifiers. Also, am I 100% guaranteed a spot or is it like other "guarenteed" races where there are a limited number of qualified spots so I should sign up sooner than later? Lastly since it's October 2018 it would be good for April 2020, correct?

baby daddies hows it coming along? Ace aren't you coming up in the next week or two? Keen you're about 8 weeks out right? I'm starting to realize more about what labor will be. Wife is starting to ache and have pains and doing things they discussed in our labor class. I spent probably 15 minutes figuring out how to install the car seat using the seat belt, then make sure it doesn't move too much, then telling myself "single parents have been doing this for literally decades. It's fine."

I need to start running more. Maybe I should ease back in with 4-6 during the week and at least RUNNING on Saturday or Sunday. Maybe I will since DW said no beer starting in November and her next check up is Thursday. Never know what day she will pop. Trying to figure out how I'll train for everything with a 1 month old already has me doubting Chicago.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Thanks! And I know nothing of Chicago, other than that it has chewed up and spit out almost every runner I know (no worries, though!) I think it was the super-flat course that did everyone in.

Yes, we're about 8 weeks out, and things are going well - much smoother than the previous two. There will likely be no labor for DW since she has to have a C-section.
                            Getting the car seat in takes some trying the first few times. Make sure you don't use both the car seat belt and the LATCH connectors if your car seat has them.
                            I'm pretty certain I could make training for OKC or whichever spring marathon I choose work with a treadmill, but seeing as how I still don't have one of those post-baby training is still up in the air.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

brew: thanks for checking in. We are due 11/11, so getting close! The wife is feeling it, but going strong. She labored with our first kid for hours and hours, then pushed for almost 3 hours, ended up having a c-section. Our son (#2) was delivered "regularly" after about 75 minutes of labor...so, who knows what will happen this time.

Biggest problem so far is we don't have a name for this kiddo (girl). Any suggestions out there? We thought about naming her Darkwave, but it was taken.

Whenever I have the kids by myself I'm like, "How the hell does a single parent do this everyday?!?" Parenting is tough, but wonderful.

I've been perusing the craigslist for a treadmill. I have no idea what to spend or what to look for. Prices range from $100-$2500. Also hoping to run more with the jogging stroller if it's not too cold this winter.  However, lows have been in the low 30s this week, so we'll see.

elizabeth: I didn't have an official VO2 test completed. Where do you do that? It may be cost prohibitive? My calculated VDOT is 55. We'll see what the Garmin says my VO2 is based on my workouts. Best of luck with the taper and of course the race!

Max: How's that RR coming?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Pesto

Hi all! Was gone for the second half of the week and am very busy with work right now, but thought I'd drop by.

Lots of babies coming anytime now. Good luck with that brew, CK and ace! We're expecting for late Dec / early Jan, so things are still calm around here.

Also, a few races! Good luck arvind and e78! You both seem to be in top shape. That sounds like fantastic weather to me e78!

CK, congrats on the HM and the 2nd OA! It's nice to find out you're in better shape than you thought. That's a good sign towards the FM in some weeks.

hi NACN!

dad and McB - great weeks! you guys seem to be getting back into it quite well.

Nothing special about my week, so won't post the details. Did some running Monday and Tuesday (3 x 3k T) but then was gone on Wednesday to Cracow. Had a lovely trip, but was only able to put in one run there (on Thursday). Barely 23 miles for the week.

That was the last trip for us probably until the Paris marathon in April, so I plan to get back to it starting this week and start building up the mileage.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)