3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you runner jones. Sure the lack of marathon experience was a key factor as well. I did not know what to expect for in the last miles. Thank you so much for running wth me. I was feeling strong and had no issues managing the pace 23 miles. Need to work on my pacing for the next race and start slow.

Arvind,

It was a pleasure to meet you and run Richmond with you yesterday.  I feel badly that you missed your goal, but still, you do have a BQ and a big PR.  I still think you're capable of a sub-3:20 like I said yesterday, and I would encourage you to keep trying for that - you're very, very close.

As for what went wrong yesterday, I think Darkwave and Ilanarama are absolutely right - you started out too fast.  Just reading your prior posts before we met up in the corral, everything about your training suggested you'd finish ahead of me.  You're younger, you ran more miles this year (by ~300!), and you had a faster half (1:30) during this training cycle.  My best half this year was a 1:34 in the spring, and my best ever is 1:31, so on paper, I thought you'd have no trouble going under 3:20 and probably beating your A-goal of sub-3:18 as well.  The one advantage I had was marathon experience.  This was my 6th marathon this year, 15th ever (+3 ultras), and 6th Richmond.  I have a bit more experience both with the distance and the course.

Starting out, our first mile was about where it should've been.  After that, we were going too fast.  I mentioned a few times that we were well ahead of pace, but you said you were feeling good so I didn't try harder to slow us down.  I didn't want to hold you back from your A goal since it seemed like you were having a good day.  We hit the halfway at 1:38:35, well ahead of pace.  As your splits show though, you really started to fade in the second half.  Richmond is a rolling course, but since most of the ups and downs are in the first 20 miles and the final 10K is flat/downhill, the ideal strategy is to run a negative split.  Last year when I got 3:13 at Richmond, that's how I ran the course.  This year, we both had positive splits.  I was, however, able to close out the final miles pretty strongly this year (splits of 7:34, 7:23, and 7:11, with 6:20 pace for the final .2 mile downhill stretch).  The marathon is all about holding yourself back in the beginning and then starting to build momentum in the closing miles.

As for other factors, I don't think lack of calories was a problem.  Everyone's energy needs are different, but I actually only used one gel and about 5 gummy bears I got just past the bridge.  I also took some sports drink from about half the water stations, but I was feeling nauseous in the second half and didn't use any of the other gels I was carrying.  If you used a gel every 5 miles, you probably had enough calories.  I suspect you might've been a bit overdressed, since it looked like you had on multiple layers, but that's just a guess.  Yesterday was very cold, and I was absolutely miserable before the race only wearing a single layer (long-sleeved shirt), but once we started running, I was fine - not too hot or too cold.

Overall, with good pacing, you should have no problem running a sub-3:20.  I think the fitness is definitely there for you.  You might look for a good spring marathon and give it a go.  Chicago is also a great race if you wait for the fall, but if it's hot again like it was this year, that's going to be tough.  Best wishes to you and good luck!

OMR

NACN:  Interesting that less mileage worked for you.  I think I need some weeks above 85 to be successful, although I wonder if I'm getting too old to maintain that.

arvind:  Congrats, even if you slowed toward the end.  Pacing a marathon perfectly is difficult.  I agree with Dwave that a few of those early miles were, perhaps, a bit too fast, and with ilana that it wasn't a wall but a fade...and I probably would've done the same thing.  controltech's comment is interesting.  I don't usually drink Gatorade until late in a marathon, when I can no longer digest GUs, and I typically take a GU 15 minutes before the start and then try to take one every 45 minutes after that.  But I know that McMillan suggests that glycogen depletion training runs may have some benefit, so perhaps it is something to consider.

ilana:  I'm not sure what to make of your diagnosis, but I'm glad to hear you are getting back to mountain biking.  Running can't be too far off.

max:  I probably won't have time to read your RR until Thanksgiving.  By that point, you'll probably have run somewhere between 3 and 10 more ultras.

Runnerjones:  Hi, and congrats!

Hey to everyone...

Next up for me is the Black Canyon 100K (and I'm in the Western States lottery for the first time, so there's about a 1% chance I'll accepted for that).  So I'm working on getting my mileage up, mostly at the low end of aerobic.  Following a week of rest after the last marathon, the last three weeks were 68.4 @ 8:50OA, 71.4 @ 8:37OA, and 73.6 @ 8:36OA.  Doing one tempo workout per week, plus some easy/moderate hills at 3% and 6% incline.  Hoping this will also function as a base building phase for a marathon sometime in the spring/summer of 2018...maybe Grandmas again.

Welcome to Nick2 and RunnerJones.

Nice racing Arvind, Jones and DW!

ilana - glad your pelvis is behaving a bit better

My week... (extra slow paces):

• M: 9 easy
        • T: 10 with hill repeats
        • W: 10 easy
        • Th: 12 easy
        • F: 7 easy
        • S: 10 easy
        • S: 10 with hill repeats

total = 68

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

bone health conversation- i'm reading a book right now called Eating Animals and it states the fact that the countries with the highest occurrence of osteoporosis are those which eat the most dairy (like the US), ie higher calcium intake. I didn't read the literature about the study so I don't know details, but dwave it seems you are on to something (with the vitamin D instead of calcium) as per usual Smile

our team racing circuit had a half marathon today.
          calbears came out of the woodwork - this is where i saw him last, one year ago - but sadly i didn't see him. i think he got to chat with kinase though. she ran a great race in 1:31. she's coming back super steadily from injuries she had a year-ish ago. she should run a really strong race at CIM.

i think i spotted jim by the finish line? didn't see him at all during the race though. but his RBS and RBD did give me some baby wipes by the portapotties which had run out of TP. "RBS is a climber so she carries these around with her," RBD said. I was thinking, I know - she climbs with jim!
          i was trying to do a LR workout, with 10@MP and then 3.1@LT. i did manage 10 of the miles at roughly MP, average, but instead of speeding up for 3 i had some kamikaze slow miles in there. my legs felt like lead from the start - did a "block" of two big volume+intensity weeks in a row, and this was the tail end of those. even still, would have been nice to push through and hold the MP. but there's something about toeing the line knowing it's a workout and not a race which makes it easier to let things slip without caring. bleh. my mind is not in a good place these days. anyone have tips on mental training?!

dwave, nice 8k!

arvind, congrats on the marathon!

OMR- hello!! that sounds like some great training. keep up the good hills!

rovatti - that's a lot of miles.  what's next for you?

a guy i know ran a 2:55 today at a marathon with a 5000ft elevation drop (spread through the bulk of the mileage, so like -5% grade down most of the way). he has facebook, twitter, insta, strava-ed, etc etc about a billion photos of "BQ!" "PR!" his medal, his results, etc (not mentioning the nature of the course, naturally). this is rather annoying.

week:

<colgroup><col width="100" /><col width="220" /><col width="353" /></colgroup>
          Monday 6@8:31, ez
          Tuesday AM 4ez / PM 4+10k of pain (avg 3:16 10k/ 3:34 MP)+3 cd
          Wednesday 6.18mi@8:44 recovery
          Thursday 10.2/840ft@8:22 twin peaks w/ a few hill strides
          Friday off
          Saturday 7.3mi@8:25 ez
          Sunday

18mi incl ~10@7:22 avg, 3@7:3x. 

= 65mi.

clarification on tuesday's workout... it's 6x(800m on, 800m off)+400m "all out", in which "on" is 10k pace and "off" is MP. it's all continuous, and MP is the "recovery" from the 10k pace portions. i was targeting 6:36 as 10k pace and 7:20 as MP, which would be 3:18 / 3:40 for the respective 800s. pacing on this one is tough, though, but i came close enough. i let most of the girls in my training group go as they ran the first on/off in 3:03/3:25 or so ...sorry y'all but my 10k pace is not 6:06 and my MP is not 6:50 (and neither is yours!).

i was looking back on my training log and noticed I've only done 2 LRs this cycle at 20 miles or longer. this feels low. i've done 8 runs in the 17-18mi range, though (this includes long track nights). obviously there's nothing i can change about this now, but out of curiosity, does anyone here operate in that range? what are your typical #s for a 2.5 month marathon training block?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Pesto

Ace - Hope the baby is in already!!! I agree that base phase is fun.

e78 - hope the achilles improves soon.

ilana - glad to hear things are (at least partly) looking up.

arv - great race! I think DkW and ilana hit the nail on the head with their comments. Probably those fast first 10 miles (including those super-fast 3 miles) cost you the fade at the end. It definitely looks more like a fade than the wall. I am not sure it had anything to do with nutrition either, your plan seemed reasonable to me. Anyhow, congrats on a very consistent cycle and a great PR! And good luck with Boston!

NACN- thanks a lot for the response on the mileage. I find it very interesting that cutting back like that brought a PR for a very experienced runner like you. And it seems like you are not alone in this category, as per DkW's comment. This gives me a bit of hope as (if all goes well) I'll be trying to PR on lower mileage than my previous cycle. Also interesting about the extra rest day.

Jones - welcome and congrats on a fantastic race to you too! It's also lovely to "see" two of us running together.

Congrats on the PR and a very solid race, DkW!

OMR - good to see you're back at it in full swing!

great weeks rlk, OMR, rovatti, PJ! (maybe forgetting someone else...)

rlk - a couple 20 milers with 8 x 17-18 milers that include speedwork over 2.5 months seem to be very decent to me. That's about one 17+ milers LR per week, with some including speed if I understood correctly.

ETA: congrats Jim on the Chicago news!

ETA2: great RR max, a ridiculous accomplishment, and fantastic photos! That night sky is something else.

Hi everyone else!

My week had a disappointing ending again this time. About 30+ miles Mo-Fr, with a nice workout, but no running over the weekend. We had an old friend from Argentina visiting this weekend, so no time for running. Will get back to it this week hopefully, before the plan starts in early-mid december.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

pepperjack

pie man

I'm on the low end of long run quantity, usually only wind up with a single twenty (or longer, but rarely longer).  I'm also the one lacking endurance compared to a lot of folks here so probably not a coincidence.  Not sure that's what you want to hear.  I do have a couple of OK races with my slacker plan.  Flying pig I can't remember how many long runs, but I did track for 12 straight weeks and I think that was just as important.  (Coincidentally I have 6 straight weeks right now and I'm feeling like I have regained some shape for the first time in a couple years).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. Lots of learning for me. Will try to incorporate them in my next training and race

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and congratulations.  I'm pretty happy with the way Richmond turned out, as it gives me a BQ-5 for 2019.  It's also interesting because it's the first time I've gone under 3:20 without following my usual training plan, Hansons Advanced.  I've been putting in miles this year, with just under a 50 mpw average, but most of it's been at an easy pace of between 8:00-8:30, and distances have been whatever I feel like doing that day.  I've skipped any speedwork and only done tempo runs on the rare days I have to run on the treadmill.  I've done a bunch of races this year (2 10-milers, 6 halfs, and 5 fulls), but several of those were done with friends/family and not really at race-pace.  I tried to go sub-3:20 at Chicago this year, but I don't do well in the heat and struggled to the finish in 3:32.  Richmond had better temps and I was able to hit 3:18.  It's very interesting how much fitness I maintained from last year just running mostly base miles this year.  Has anyone else had this experience?

rlk - 2 20-milers and 8 more runs of 17+ seems like more than enough endurance work, at least to me.  I've used Hansons Advanced plan in the past, which tops out at 3 16-milers, so your LRs look more than sufficient.

AceHarris

RunnerJones: I haven't experienced what you're describing, but I hope to! Congrats on the sub 3:20 and welcome.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Arvind Balaraman

While I am working on my next race. have a few questions. I have been cross training 5 days a week in addition to the 55+ miles per week. I was following the Run Less Run fast method, hence most of my training runs were on the faster pace.

I am thinking of increasing my mileage to may be 60 or 70 miles per week and lots of slow runs. Should I continue my cross training at 5 days per week or it is ok to skip the cross training (may be 1-2 days per week cross train) and substitute that with running?

DkW, Arvind, & RJ ~ Nice races. Congrats.

Arvind ~ Not to pile on, but those three much faster miles and the overall faster pace early, definitely matter.

Richmond: the traffic getting to the start can be significant; for me, that makes staying within walking distance all the more worthwhile. I think I will do HM again next year.

NACN ~ Again, congrats. I know this has been a loooooong time coming; very pleased for you.

Ilana ~ My wife, who's of similar build and age, also had bone strength issues; I think vitamin D supplementation (and magnesium to help w/ D absorption) is making a difference. So is strength training.

rlk ~ The TM is convenient (at work) and the roads/traffic are not good for sustained faster running.

My week:

M) am: 4.5 & pm: 4.5 w/ 8 x hill sprints

Tu) 20 minutes tempo (6:33 @ 1.5% on TM), followed by 6x90 second hill repeats (7:19 pace @ 7%) w/ 2:30 recoveries

W) 8 ez

Th) 4.5 very ez

F) 9 w/ 4x4 minutes hard (5:5X or about 1100 meters) w/ equal recovery

Sa) 14 rolling @ ~8:30

Su) 6.5 w/ strides

Total: 62

vit D - I think sun exposure works better than supplements.  I once tried taking 5000 IU daily for two months and my level (25-OH vit D) didn't budge.  Sun exposure worked.

NACN's success with "low mileage" - Note that 60mpw (on 6 days/wk) over 20 weeks ain't chopped liver... and this was on top of years of heavier mileage.   However, it does seem like more emphasis on key workouts and recovery (as opposed to just volume) is more important for a developed/experienced runner.

ETA: Dad - that's a nice Tues TM workout!

pepperjack

pie man

Ok, I checked the flying pig cycle and I had a 20 and a 19.  Plus I doubled once with 15.5 + 6 (sorta an accident). The rest were several 15/16/17 milers (one back-to-back 15 on a weekend, ending with few MP miles if I remember correctly).  I also raced two tens and a half (plus a 5k or two).  So if I wasn't running long I was racing, it seems.  Plus track, plus three full training cycles the previous 24 months.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - I'm glad to hear the good news about the hip healing.

DWave - Another good week.

Jones - Congrats on your race!

Ace - Bummer there's no baby yet. My brother was ~3 weeks late. I don't know if docs would let a pregnancy go that long any more.

OMR - Best of luck on the lottery.

Rovatti - Solid week again.

RLK - Great week as well.

Arvind - I'm no expert on cross training, but I would drop down to 1-2 days of XT, with most of your runs being easy, conversational runs. Basically use these to increase aerobic endurance, which will help you go longer (and possibly faster) in races. It takes time to build up that endurance, though.

I'm really jealous of the great weeks being posted. DD2 infected DD1 and myself at the end of last week, and nights have been particularly rough. First with DD2 waking up all the time Firday night, then DD1 Saturday night, then myself last night. No running for me the past several days, but I should have an awesome 6 pack by the time I'm through coughing! Here's hoping this passes before the race this weekend, and so I can start building mileage back up ahead of my spring training season.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

While I am working on my next race. have a few questions. I have been cross training 5 days a week in addition to the 55+ miles per week. I was following the Run Less Run fast method, hence most of my training runs were on the faster pace.

I am thinking of increasing my mileage to may be 60 or 70 miles per week and lots of slow runs. Should I continue my cross training at 5 days per week or it is ok to skip the cross training (may be 1-2 days per week cross train) and substitute that with running?

What do you mean by cross training? Strength and mobility is a lot different than aerobic stuff.