3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Strict WTF adherent

Congrats Ace!

Sorry KK. Been there and know what it's like 

That's a lot of improvement Arvind. Congrats on a solid race.

Welcome n00bs.

Not sure we have room for two biking Nicks though. May have to get Mr. Orange back to running.

RLK - I like to get a big dose of MP specificity three weeks out, and then a 20ish mile run around MP+60 two weeks out (then 13 with about 30 mins at MP one week out). But I know I do well on short and steep tapers, so YMMV.

Hello to everyone else. Still working on the comeback over here.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Woah - a &^%#pile of pages since I swung by a few days ago.  Greetings from Lexington this time.  Visiting sister and dad.

Ace: Yay!!!!!!!!!!  The emojis are definitely lacking here.  Have fun!

Keen: Short answer to the gear question - I used the biggest Ultimate Directions ultra pack, and basically carried everything I needed at all times - food, headlamps, warm clothing, etc..  In the 6-8 hours it took to get between aid stations, it could get dark or light, hot or cold, etc..  I also had lots of dropbags with lots of stuff, and did swap some things along the way,e.g. a light jacket for a heavier one, and had stuff like chargers for my electronics, and spare everything (shoes, socks, shirts, headlamps, batteries, food, etc.).  If I couldn't fit it in my pack I strapped it on the outside - a couple pictures have something yellow on my back, that's my big heavier rain jacket.

Arvind ran a marathon!  Congratulations on the sub 3:22.  I'm sure all the following pages have figured this out already but you probably aimed for the perfect time, weren't quite there, and paid for it at the end.  That's not much of a fade though.  Probably if you had started at 7:37, you would have gotten that sub 3:20.  Nice job overall!  Ah, and I see that with more info that was exactly the problem.  Starting at fantasy pace or even perfection pace usually ends badly.

Ilana: Glad to hear the mostly good news.  Ah, and I see that Darkwave is already on the osteo stuff...

Jim's Kat: I think you'll be fine with all those 17+ mile runs.  I don't think there's anything magic about 20.  And I don't think 20 really prepares you for the pain/exhaustion/glycogen depletion of the last 10k.  What's helped me most is 1) doing marathon races  2) getting better at assessing my fitness/goal pace accurately 3) doing stupid-long races where I've learned that 45-60 minutes of discomfort is not really that bad.  You have the first 2 and you could do 30 runs of 20 miles or more and not get the third one.

Pesto: Friends (the real kind, not the step-above-imaginary friends) > than running.  Good call on skipping the running.

Jones: Welcome!  I'm usually around more but things have been crazy for a while now.  Hopefully after Thanksgiving things will settle.

Dad: Were you considering swearing off marathons?  Are you training for one?

KK: I'm sorry to hear your news - thinking about you.

Elizabeth: Better to heal up than be Richard Sherman.

Fly: Nice to see you here - I can't remember who did and didn't make it over here in the transition.

NeedACleverName: Are you the same as SomethingClever or a different person?

RunandBikeNick: You are definitely not Orange Nick.

I head to VA tomorrow, for another race on Saturday.  Trying to make it to OMR's 3-10 ultras by Thanksgiving, but will likely fall one short.  There might be live tracking for Saturday's race - I'll look.  Oh, and I got what might be my favorite race medal last Saturday for Conquer The Castle.  Handmade by the race director.  But pictures don't seem to work here.  

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

i have a new goal for May: https://www.strava.com/activities/1277039076

.... jk!!!!!!!!

but damn. and pretty special pacer she had.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I found live tracking info for Crooked Road (24 hour hamster wheel race, ~1.2 mile pretty flat loops).  With my tune-up 100k last weekend I should do really well in this.  Starts Sat 8am VA time.  Finishes... wait, I need to do the math... Sun 8am VA time.  If I were you, I'd have the office pool be based on when I implode.

Live online Results click this link:
          http://crookedroad24.itsyourrace.com/results.aspx?id=8770

iphone app:
          https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/its-your-race/id656514293?mt=8

android app:
          https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itsyourrace.android&hl=en

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi all - still alive.  Just buried.  WIll be for a few days more - this has been an awful week.

Ace - Congrats!

KK - wanted to express my sympathies here as well.

Smax - you're in my hood - kinda - only 6 hours away....

Flying to Kansas tomorrow for a family affair (grandfather's 100th - he lives in Wichita) and then headed right back to DC area.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Woah - a &^%#pile of pages since I swung by a few days ago.  Greetings from Lexington this time.  Visiting sister and dad.

NeedACleverName: Are you the same as SomethingClever or a different person?

Sorry for the confusion, I’m not SomethingClever. Definitely older and not as handsome as he is. I was most recently NACN!! at RWOL.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

NACN: Doh!  I'd figured that out, but forgot.

There's an ad to the right here that says "Advil - makes pain a distance memory".  (Or something like that...)  True 'nuf.

Ghettopops

Congrats Ace.

Strict WTF adherent

RLK - let's make it happen. You'll have TWO "special" pacers.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Long run two weeks before: I'm still pretty aggressive at that point typically. I've had success running 20-22 miles, and even adding speed into those miles. I find that by that point in the cycle, I'm so used to long runs that they don't beat up my legs too much.

Rovatti: Yes, 11/11/1978 is my birthday! Happy birthday!

Commander: Thanks for the birthday wishes. That's weird about the OKC Marathon guy. I wish I could spectate a marathon every weekend, like how baseball spans can see their sport all the time!

Arvind: A 40-minute PR is massive. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat those last two miles. You held on quite well for most of the race and really took things to a new level. You have a lot to be proud of.

RunnerJones: Glad you saw me. It was so much fun!

OMR: I Googled Exploding Head and I don't have it. That's kinda crazy. How often do you get it? I have, however, screamed myself awake a few times.

Dad4: Enjoy the windy and rainy 5K!

Ace: Congratulations!! Glad she is healthy.

JimE: Glad to hear that your knee is getting better.

NeedAClever: We are on the same schedule. I have not run since Indy either. So now I am on day 12! I plan to test the waters with a 30-minute recovery run on Sunday. I just want to be extra careful that my Achilles Tendonitis doesn't come back. When is your next half marathon?

RUNandBIKE: Sounds like a wonderful long term plan. You have plenty of time to build up before June.

McBen: Hello.

Seattle: What race are you doing on Saturday? ETA - I see it's Crooked Road. You are incredible with all these ultras. To upload a picture, just put it in Google Drive or Dropbox or whatever and then post a link to the URL using the photo icon above. Like this:

Darkwave: Sorry you've had a bad week. That's awesome your grandfather made it to 100.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm still boring. No running. Just some pool running and swimming here and there. I actually DO enjoy pool running and swimming, but the logistics suck and it's $10/pop since I don't go regularly enough to get a membership. I also don't like sharing a lane. I value my personal space. Okay /complaining.

Every time I think my Achilles are 100%, I feel a hint of something and I realize they are still a little tender. But I'm 100% like 95% of the time. That last 5% is taking forever to go away.

Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving. Not really a great idea for the Achilles but I have an 11-year streak that I am not about to break. And I'm going for sub 20 even though I will have done no speed work in weeks! I figure, I really have nothing to lose by trying.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Dad: Were you considering swearing off marathons?  Are you training for one?

I'm done for a while. I want to do NYC eventually, but probably not for 4-5 years (when I'm in least competitive part of my AG). And probably one more trip to Boston (but I'll do the 5K first so at least one race goes well), but, again, not for a while -- maybe I can use NYC to BQ.

I may do a HM next November, but most of next year is 5K and under.

You're really cranking up the frequent flier miles to add to your ultra miles!

DkW ~ Who-hoo for Gramps!!!!

pepperjack

pie man

So my team goes to club nats every couple years (most east coast plus the one in SF where they hung with the brooks beasts and drank a lot of beer).  I am rounding into shape so I might join them and see if I can avoid being in the bottom 10.  Should probably do D's XC race for practice.  Or just go for a long run in the woods.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Katia77

NACN - sorry it hits close to home and totally understand, it's not been easy for my husband either. I'd take a running break in your situation too!

Ben - thanks. For some people it's so much "fun" and I just feel like it's such a stressful thing in my life.

Smax - thanks and good luck on Saturday!  Racing as always Smile

Dwave - sorry about your bad week and thank you. Hope it slow down for you soon.

E78 - it's good to take a break Smile

Ran again yesterday,which went fine, so I think I'll just stick with my low mileage. There was a female runner that was "groped" and ended up stabbing the perpetrator like .2 miles from my house, which I've obviously heard about from everyone, in addition to reading it on my own. Wich brings me to my question for all (but women especially): is there anything you take with you for safety when running? I always have my phone with me these days, but I don't generally carry anything else.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

AceHarris

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

AceHarris

Well, still having trouble posting a pic. I’ll keep trying.

A lot to catch up on. I got Tuesday’s workout in this afternoon. My gut and legs definitely felt the lazy days in the hospital and all the junk food people brought us. In the south it is against the law to celebrate with healthy options.

I’ll do some reading and check back later.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)