3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Strict WTF adherent

Has anyone else been able to verify their email to subscribe to the thread? I click the "verify" button in a thread/forum and nothing happens. I've even used multiple browsers (Chrome/IE), both with and without ad blockers and pop-up blockers.

This often appears on the emails I get

To avoid excessive notifications, you will not receive another notification for this topic until you revisit the topic.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

This often appears on the emails I get

To avoid excessive notifications, you will not receive another notification for this topic until you revisit the topic.

That's the thing; I haven't been able to verify my email address in order to get any notifications.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

an amazing likeness

That's the thing; I haven't been able to verify my email address in order to get any notifications.

Could you explain where you're getting the verify question -- there's no verification process for emails when subscribing to topics...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Could you explain where you're getting the verify question -- there's no verification process for emails when subscribing to topics...

I'm not able to post a screencap, but when I click the "Subscribe" button there's a popup telling me "Your email address needs to be verified before new post notifications can be sent via email", with a "verify email" button below (this button doesn't do anything). There are "follow" and "cancel" buttons below this.

In my "account information" page there is a red "Unverified" message next to my email address. I've never gotten an email from the forum, despite checking junk/spam folders.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

an amazing likeness

I'm not able to post a screencap, but when I click the "Subscribe" button there's a popup telling me "Your email address needs to be verified before new post notifications can be sent via email", with a "verify email" button below (this button doesn't do anything). There are "follow" and "cancel" buttons below this.

In my "account information" page there is a red "Unverified" message next to my email address. I've never gotten an email from the forum, despite checking junk/spam folders.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...you're right, both the subscribe function and Training Plans daily email have that verify.  Recomend you post a quick question on it in the Technical Support forum -- then the bigwigs (Eric) in the HQ (Eric) will get see your question...which they (Eric) wont down here in a topic.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Arvind Balaraman

Hi All

I have been running 50+ each week for the last 13 weeks and have a marathon in Nov. I have done 2 20+ mile runs till now at 8:15-8:20 pace. I have 2 more of such runs. How can I assess if I am in a share to do a 3:15 race?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Arvind - Have you run any races lately? Running a race before your marathon (typically HM at least 4 weeks out, or maybe a 10k at least 3 weeks out) is usually the best way. I don't mean running the race as a tempo/workout, I mean actually running all-out. We can extrapolate from an actual race effort what you may be capable of, but if it wasn't actually raced then trying to predict what you can do in a marathon is much less precise, or maybe even futile.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you Commander Keen, I did a half last week (1:32:44) and have another half this week and 2 weeks from now.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Arvind - The races are a good start (that's a lot of HM in a row), but there is more info needed. Starting a new thread with the info Ilana asks for here will get you more visibility and input from people far more qualified than I am to offer advice.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

stealth and joanne -

Hopefully we'll be decent neighbors...  I think a lot of us will post on other topics here...  and for my part, I'll try to be less cliquish/insidejokey so that more people will feel welcome to post on this thread.

cheers!

Pesto

It seems like we're staying here in the end... right? Hi everyone!

OMR - congrats on the AG win!! And don't try to play it down, the National Champion title speaks for itself.

CK - sorry about having to adjust expectations, I was really looking forward to see what you were capable of on race day. From the mileage and training you were putting in, I thought a big PR was on the cards. Is it definite or do you still have hope? Feeling any better?

ace - good luck with the rest of taper! How are you feeling? You seem to be doing great lately!

DkW - hope the kitty is doing better.

arvind - well done on the 20 miler. I saw you opened a new thread as CK suggested, and you seem to be getting good feedback there (including ilana's). I would listen to them. I am not experienced enough, so I can't really provide any valuable insights.

Me - didn't get into London in the end. Completely fine with it, since I'll be running Paris instead, which is not too shabby  Knowing that the chances of London were very thin (I estimate between 5-10%), I registered for Paris at an early bird rate in April and got a good deal.

I'm starting to look into training programs for Paris. I feel that with JD I peaked a bit early (around week 14) and was probably a bit burnt out by race day. So, I'm thinking of either reducing the mileage / intensity, or shortening the cycle. I'm looking into JD's 12 week plan (I think it's called Plan A?) or Pfitz (either 18/55 or 12/70, I'm getting the book in the mail tomorrow). Another reason for taking this approach is that DD2 will be arriving in January, so that may will affect my training. Any suggestions/comments RE plans or just how to approach this cycle in general, are highly appreciated!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Pesto - Bummer about London, but at least you have another great race lined up already. I don't have any solid training advice, but with child #3 coming just before Christmas I'm looking in to a treadmill. There's just no way DW would let me live long if I was taking off each morning to run for 90 minutes while she was waking up with the baby.
                          I think a PR might still be possible, but I'm not expecting as much from myself as I was. I've been running almost exclusively on the rolling hills outside of town this year, and have done nearly all of my workouts there since spring. With that and increased mileage I was looking forward to a really good race in November. We'll see...

Me - I'm doing much better today; even yesterday I kept feeling better and better throughout the day. Yesterday I had an unplanned conversation with a PT who voiced his thoughts on my issue and gave me the number of an orthopedic doc as well. If things don't keep progressing like they have been I'll either give him a call, or the sports doc who trains with my local running club (who is the medical director for the OKC marathon, plus others). Maybe I'll consult one of them even if things do keep getting better, which would probably be the smart thing to do.
                          I figure I might try running Saturday. Drive to the softball field complex that has a path around it and run there so that if something happens I'll be right next to my car, rather than miles out into the country, possibly more than a mile from the nearest house.

Treadmills - For those that have or use one at least semi-regularly, what do you like/dislike? I don't need anything top-of-the-line (but would LOVE a Woodway) and I'm not necessarily against used/refurbished, but I do need one that could hold up to at least 50 miles/week. Maybe I'll try searching the archive of the treadmill forum from the Other Place.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Pesto: Paris is kind of a hard place to go fast at.  Maston and I ran it a few years back (first time we met) and it's ... interesting.  E.g. the long tunnel where they make it "fun" by turning off the lights and using a disco ball while the Europop is cranked up.  Great if the French is strong in you, not so great if you are a single-minded Merkun runner.  Or that time I was looking for the only carb drink station on the course, ran the tangent on the right, and looked back over my left shoulder to see the carb drink station receding behind me on the far left in a hidden spot.  Awesomely cool place to run, yes.  Set up for a fast race, no.  The other amazing thing was seeing how few women run that race.  (FWIW, London had its own issues and in general very few big city races are conducive to fast races - Boston yes and perhaps Berlin.)

OMR/NC: Congratulations again.  Seemed worth sharing.

Glad we settled on one location.  Thanks McB for trying hard to do the right thing for us.  Hopefully MrsMcB did as I suggested, and had you tell her again how much of a treasure you are.

Pesto

CK - glad to hear things have been looking up lately. And thanks for the suggestion too. I'll probably try to do most of my training during lunch break and then a LR on Sunday. I will probably have to take it a lot easier RE training this cycle (and I don't think I can go run with DD1 in a stroller during the winter unfortuntely). But still think I can put in a decent race (maybe a PR?) on lower mileage as long as I stay consistent and get healthy and fresh to the start line.

max - ha, I had no clue about this disco tunnel! I have no idea what to expect, but I'm actually looking forward to it now! When did you guys run it? And thanks for sharing the experience, it's very useful to hear from someone who's already run it. I thought Paris would be relatively fast after seeing the course profile. But I guess being the second largest marathon in the world, after NY (I think), can make it crowded and a bit unorganized. I'll have to pay special attention to the nutrition/hydration stations. (I read about the under-representation of women too, apparently the ratio is about 4:1).

I'm kind of happy I didn't get into London now, since maybe I can give it a (more serious) try in the future when we don't have a newborn at home. In the meantime, I can enjoy Paris and do as best as possible. Also, if anyone has experience in Daniels vs Pfitz plans, I'd still love to hear about it!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

AceHarris

ck: We're looking into a treadmill as well. I think it's a necessity with three kids. I must've missed something, when's your next race, why are you adjusting expectations?

pesto: Feeling pretty good these days. Going through the typical pre-race over processing. Watching the predicted weather too much (it's up 1 degree from yesterday), trying to decide on which shoes to wear, etc.

This is my first marathon that's truly an out of town one. I'd appreciate any recommendations from those that have traveled for races (essentially everyone). Thoughts on night before dinner? Go out, cook at airbnb, transport a frozen meal from home? My mom is traveling with me since my wife can't go due to being 36 weeks pregnant and her family will be in town. The drive is 5.5 hours. Planning on trying to stop multiple times to stretch it out.

Also, I'm torn on shoe choice. I've raced my past marathons in my distance trainers thinking I'd appreciate the added cushioning, but leaning towards my speed/tempo trainers instead (saucony kinvara). I truly feel a difference in these as far as weight. I've ran up to 13 miles in the Kinvaras without issue. Thoughts? Let me guess, buy a brand new pair of shows at the expo and wear those, right?

Anyways, I'll go ruminate for the next 9 days on all the details.

dw: how's the feline?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)