3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

AceHarris

McBen: the old "dog ate my _____" excuse. I thought you were more creative than that. 

Elizabeth: nice 5k, enjoyed the race report. Is your new years 5k a course conducive to sub 20:00?  We had a good group of middle schooler sprinters at the beginning of our 5k as well. As far as the glutes go, I can definitely tell when they're firing. My form has a noticeable change. I'm able to run much more with a mid-foot strike when they're firing and end up with a strong heel strike when they're taking the day off. Still incorporating exercises. Squats, lunges, and hip rotator exercises (clams, leg lifts, etc). PT also suggested some reverse situps.

Dwave: sounds like the 5 miler was productive, even if it wasn't your best day. Our group is having a lot of shoe lace problems lately.

Arvind: how many half marathons did you get in this year? You've had a solid year!

Brew: how's that baby comingn?!? I forget, did y'all have names picked out?

Pesto: no ITB issues during the race, but it was pretty sore that afternoon. I'm icing after every run.

12 easy today with a pickup. (avg 7:45-7:50, then 6:43 for the pickup). Temps are so refreshing these days. 39 today with no wind. Not bad.

Coach has some of my upcoming workouts based on HR. This will be the first time I've tried this. I'm sure it will take some adjusting. We'll see how it goes.

Original goal this year was 1,000 miles. I'm at 1,397 today. Should get over 1,500! That's the most I've had in over a decade in 1 year.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

(Belated) Happy Thanksgiving All!

Ace ~ Excellent 5K!

E78 ~ Congrats on the AG win and course PR. The improvement over the years is impressive.

DkW ~ That's still a few seconds faster than I ran there last year.

Brew ~ Hope you and Mrs. Brew are hanging in there.

PJ ~ Did you pace a friend at NCT today?

Great workout yesterday: 5x5 minutes @ 5:5X (5 min recovery). On cinder/dirt. Hungover!

pepperjack

pie man

Good stalking, I did 15 NCR miles with a friend (she's actually an old Patriots day Forum poster who some folks here--at least ilana--have met).  She's run within a minute of 3:20 4 separate times and really wanted to get that out of the way.  And yet I could never convince her to join our sub 3:20 thread...

she was in fantastic shape in the spring and got burned by the conditions at the race in April.  Had a bit of an injury issue in her training recently but I thought she was still in pretty good shape (2x3 miles at 6:45 then 6:40 average).  And then I happen to see her running mp miles in the park while I was on my long run and wound up working 7:25 down to 7:15 followed by some 7:30s that felt sorta easy.  She was signed up for philly but didn't feel completely comfortable and pushed back the attempt to NCR.

She had someone for the late miles so I ran the early bit and, frankly, was barely hanging on at 15 and she was cruising.  I was relieved of my duties and they kept on down the path looking strong.  I think it got tough late (we were just under 1:38 for the half split on my watch so that's an ambitious pace up that gradual hill) but she hung on to go 2:06 under 3:20 in a great race.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ace - speedy 5K!  (You should be looking for sub3 in a cycle or two.)

dad - nice workout!  (You should jump into a 5K soon.)

dw - 5mi - not bad at all.  (It's going to be tough to run great races after setting the bar so high this year...)

e78 - Excellent 5K!  (Nothing like a good result to energize your training)

Hey to dls, ghetto, and orangeNick if you're lurking.

my week: (big miles, slow paces)

• M: 10 easy
            • T 10 with intervals: (1.5mi, 1.0mi, .75mi) @6:11
            • W: 13 easy
            • Th: turkey
            • F: 18 easy
            • S: 11 moderate&hilly
            • S: 8 easy

total = 70

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rovatti  - that is a lot of miles.  I forget - are you targeting a spring half/full?

My week: 51 miles on land and 10 "miles" in the water.

M: 7 miles easy (8:58)
              T: 7 miles mostly easy, but with two half mile segments in 3:10 and 3:05, with half mile easy in between.
              W 3 miles very easy (8:44)
              Th: 3 mile warm-up, 5 mile race in 32:20; 2 mile cooldown.
              F: 10 "miles" of pool-running and yoga.
              Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:17) plus drills, strides, upper body strengthwork and core.
              Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 miles at 8:50 pace, next 5 at 7:47; last 5 at 6:53.  Also injury prevention work and  recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Rovatti  - that is a lot of miles.  I forget - are you targeting a spring half/full? 

Yes, 70 is rare territory (I'm usually ~45mpw).

Nothing is nagging or out-of-kilter for a change... so I'm going for a bigger base (hopefully 60mpw over another month).  I don't have any specific races yet, but I'll look for some (5K-1/2M) while the weather is cold (which I like...).

Jim E

Hi all, Good work on those turkey trots. I'm still not running, and not coincidentally the ITB is much improved. There's been one good side effect. I'm actually doing core work now.  I think it was neglecting this sort of thing that got me into this fix.

CIM is next weekend. I'll make the decision on Saturday. I give it 50/50 at present. I did have an arrangement with the USABA to act as a guide for the first half of the race, but they've had some runners drop out and did not need me. I'm glad that pressure is off. Amelia still is not in Marathon shape.

Max - Your ultra mindset might best be summed up as Eeyore! You must be fun to run with.

Dwave - Strong week!

Arvind - Yes, there's some experience of Hansons around here. It works pretty much. Recommendations: Get the book, and resist the urge to modify it until you've done it at least once.

Rovatti - Nice miles, and congrats on nothing hurting.

Ace - Nice annual miles! I bet you did not expect to be 50% over your goal.

Arvind Balaraman

Arvind - Yes, there's some experience of Hansons around here. It works pretty much. Recommendations: Get the book, and resist the urge to modify it until you've done it at least once.

I have the book available at my local library. Will read that

pepperjack

pie man

Here's an odd one:

M - 8.5 medium

T - 6.5 (no workout, first easy Tuesday in 7 weeks)

W - 10  on not particularly technical trails

T - Semi SRD

F - 6 easy

S - 16 (15+ a little under Camille herron's 100 mile pace) 8.5 (much easier after 30ish minute break)

S - 3.5 super 9's recovery

T - 59

225 in the last 4 weeks

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

e78 - fantastic job on the 5k!

DkW and PJ - great weeks! Rovatti - that's some mileage

ace - glad to hear the ITB is not bothering ya during the runs

Jim - good idea on focusing on core work while not running. Re CIM, it's good that the pressure's off and you can now decide based exclusively on how you feel.

Hi everyone else! My week:

Monday, Nov 20, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 26, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                        Mon 5.1 9:03 0:46 Lunch Run strava
                        Tue 6.1 9:20 0:56 6 x 800 strava
                        Thu 9.5 8:11 1:18 Lunch Run strava
                        Fri 7.3 9:05 1:06 Afternoon Run strava
                        Sun 12.5 9:57 2:04 First Trail Run ever with J and D strava
                        Sun 1.2 7:46 0:09 And back home strava
                          41.7 9:08 6:21  

Happy with my week, kept it above 40 miles again and even had my first trail run experience running with some guys from the club. It was fun, and I survived. Knees were sore and new shoes very dirty afterwards though. This week is supposed to be my last one before starting the new cycle. 6 weeks to baby, 19 weeks to Paris.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

A 3:20 Slowpoke

my week: (big miles, slow paces)

Rovatti,

Sounds like my whole year.

Elizabeth - Nice on the 5k. Sub 20 will go down soon!

JimE - Hopefully you'll heal up and come back stronger than ever. So I guess no CIM for you this year?

rlk - You ready?

Ace - Wow.......you're are damn fast. Yes, sub 3 is in your future.

PJ - Nice week!

Hey to everyone else I missed.

Something like 57 miles for me this week.  Apparently I'm sort of tapering for a marathon that I haven't signed up for yet, although I did book a place to stay.

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

PJ ~ 15 @ MP is a hefty workout.

Rovatti ~ Healthy is a good place to be. I have a 15K in two weeks, then will work on 5K (and 3K)

JimE ~ Heal up!

DkW ~ Heckuva LR.

My week:

M) 7 + 5 min rowing

Tu) 13 w/ 12x1K @ 6:31 (1.5% TM) w/ 1 min recovery

W) 8

Th) 8

F) 12 w/ 5x5 min @ 5:5X w/ 5 min recovery

Sa) ElliptiGo 45 min ("5 miles")

Su) 16

Total: 64

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace I'm sure you saw my comment on the race. Oh, Hunter William Cunningham. Hunter is my middle name and we each have a grandfather named William.

DW hanging in there. Dr. appointment later. I'm waiting for the guest of honor to be here. Grandma (MIL) showed up Friday. I'm just killing time and oddly, waking up at 2:00am and falling asleep around 4:30am pretty regularly these days. My morning alarm is set for 5:00am. #dadlife

Max I just saw Catrina Corbett ran Moab. She looks like someone who would be fun to spend hours with. I bet she has as many stories as I have. Oh and I've realized if I did a 100 miler it would probably be Cascade Crest because I hate hills and you're there. I was thinking about you when I saw the TRT email about the lottery opening. Good luck on Saturday. Let me know if you need any help for your June race. It's nearby and I'll make it work.

Pesto 11/29/17 is still a possibility.

Arvind I used Hanson's for CIM 2016 (3:13). I'll be using it for Chicago. I forgot they have half marathon paces in there so I COULD use it for a local race in April. I fully support a rest period like dw suggested. My library ordered the book when I requested it. Read through it and understand WHY they train the way they train. The ONLY thing you're really supposed to modify is the warm up/cool down mileage if you're feeling good. If you modify the plan be prepared to have more than one people tell you you're doing it wrong, or to stop claiming you're following a Hanson's training plan. I need a 3:07, or better, for Chicago 2018 to get IN to for the April 2020 marathon.

dad I'm hanging in there. She is ready to not be pregnant anymore.

Rov You're going to keep 65-70 MPW as a base?!?!?

Jim I'd skip CIM. It might be nice. Maybe rlk needs a pacer or just a fan to encourage her. Her online stalkers only get 3 check points. We need live updates.

rlk Weather still looks good for Sunday Funday.

Just sitting around waiting. Waking up in the middle of the night. Going to bed earlier. Seems to be the norm I'm exhausted, falling asleep on the couch around 8:00 just to wake up at 2:00am. I told my wife after eating dessert, and not being able to get comfortable on the couch, my stomach hurts and I'm probably having sympathy pains. She laughed at me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - You totally sandbagged us! "Looking for 18:28"... Ha! Great race. I'm also totally jealous that you ran that with "only" 1,400 miles this year, even if you have been running a lot longer than I have.

E11 - Awesome race as well and great job of winning your AG, especially since they used 10-year age groups. Nice streak, too. Hopefully one of these days I'll have one like yours at a race.

McBen - "My dog ate my shoelaces". That's one I haven't heard before!

Rovatti - Awesome mileage, who cares if it mostly easy/moderate? That's pretty steep mileage for a base!

DWave - Killer LR.

Jim - Glad the ITB is feeling better, and good job on the core work. Somehow I keep falling off that wagon.

PJ - Good recent mileage.

Dad - Solid week as well. How do you like the ElliptiGo?

Brew - Hopefully your DS shows up soon so you can have a solid reason for that odd sleep schedule.

ETA: Did anyone find any good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals?

Still no week worth posting from me. Today was the first day I could reasonably expect all the antibiotics to have cleared my system (they stay for ~10 days after they are taken), and it made a MASSIVE difference in my run this morning. I felt good enough to tack on nearly 2 miles to my planned 3 mile run, and would have added more if I had the time. All of a sudden I'm looking forward more to building up some mileage toward the end of the year and adding in a workout or two.
                                No turkey trot for me, but from Strava it looked like nearly everyone local I know set a big PR, won their AG, or had some other big achievement in one of the 3 or so local Thanksgiving races, so good for them.

DW is getting more uncomfortable, but other than that is doing well. This pregnancy has gone much smoother for her than the previous two.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4