3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Dad - Solid week as well. How do you like the ElliptiGo?

Love it. I can get in a good -- and fun -- workout, but don't feel banged up afterward.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen Thanks. I saw the Fenix 3 was on sale and encouraged a RB to upgrade from his Garmin 305. He is looking forward to having 1 watch for multiple activities and bluetooth abilities to upload to strava.

1 centimeter. I told her she will probably go into labor tonight. It should work well with Optimus Prime as well as my 2:00am wake up call.

Dad How does the EliptiGo compare to running? Is it much like an eliptical? Also what's the average speed you go and what do you do for a long run pace?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Arvind Balaraman

Easy week. Completed 2500 miles for the year. Will be reflecting on my races and what I can do better next year in the coming weeks.

Day Miles Pace Description
        Mon     Foam Rolling 20 min
              Bootcamp 45 min
          5 8:30 Easy 5 on the treadmill
        Tue     Foam rolling 15 min
              Spin Class 50 min
          6.4 8:32 Easy 6
        Wed     Rest
        Thu 13.1 7:18 Skinny turkey AG3
        Fri     Rest
        Sat     Rest
        Sun 11.01 7:52 Trail running with Local Group
        Total 35.51    

Dad How does the EliptiGo compare to running? Is it much like an eliptical? Also what's the average speed you go and what do you do for a long run pace?

I have what's called a "long stride" version, so the motion is much more running like than an elliptical (the short stride version or Arc pretty much matches an elliptical), minus the impact. It doesn't make sense but I generally describe a 45 minute ride as easier than a 5 mile run, but a 90 minute ride would be harder than a 10 mile run. I haven't done a real long run (1:45 maybe?); 90 minutes is tirning

I don't track my pace, but it is a good 2 minutes per mile faster on average. It really slows on hills, into the wind, bad road surface, and traffic. I've done a few miles at 5:00 pace and tempo effort. I use the "Badger miles" (similar to how Darkwave does with pool running) approach. On my ElliptiGo, 9 minutes is worth a mile of energy. Sometimes I go faster, sometimes I don't. I also use stoppage time from soccer (paging Sam!) ... I don't worry about stopping my watch at most intersections or other brief slowdowns; I just add a little bit at the end to make up for it. Saturday, for instance, was something like 46:30 ... I round down.

AceHarris

Any favorite recovery beverages out there?

I typically drink chocolate milk or a smoothie after lighter days and drink a muscle milk after long runs. I try to combine, protein, carbs, and antioxidants. My only requirements are that it tastes good.

I definitely caught a cold over the weekend. I moved today's run to Friday. I have a workout tomorrow, may push it back if not feeling much better. No coughing at all, just nose running like a faucet and plenty of sneezing and headache. Hoping it's short lived.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I typically drink chocolate milk or a smoothie after lighter days and drink a muscle milk after long runs. I try to combine, protein, carbs, and antioxidants. My only requirements are that it tastes good.

I definitely caught a cold over the weekend. I moved today's run to Friday. I have a workout tomorrow, may push it back if not feeling much better. No coughing at all, just nose running like a faucet and plenty of sneezing and headache. Hoping it's short lived.

You have time for a workout with a (3?) week old there? DAMN you're impressive/setting the bar high.

EDIT: recovery beverage is obviously beer. I do love me some chocolate milk. Coffee too. Occasionally a Gatorade. It's odd because when I only lifted weights I was all about the protein shakes post-workout and now I act like they're unnecessary.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager 

If I'm at the gym, endurox R4 (lemon/lime)

If I'm at home, water+fruit+nuts

ETA:  good luck to the Brews!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager 

If I'm able to acquire this beverage prior to 12/10/17 it qualifies for a new badge for National Lager Day.

EDIT: Nothing really new today other than my wife telling me her doctor is on call tomorrow....11/29/17...

EDIT: I know I could read about it in the Hanson's book but does anyone have advice (dw) on mixing in cross-training (TRX Bands) with running and speed/tempo/threshold/GMP runs? I'm thinking 2-3 days a week for 20-30 minutes to start out. I think it's what I'll need to break into the April Marathon land plus, I'll admit it, I'm not getting any younger.

VDOT 53.37 

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Ace: Thank you for reading my race report. The New Years 5K course is more difficult than the Turkey Trot, so sub-20:00 is unlikely there. However, I do think I can PR the distance with 5 weeks of training, landing in the neighborhood of 20:10. We'll see how the workouts go between now and then. I agree- the temperatures lately have been heavenly! And it (knock on wood) hasn't even been windy. That's very exciting about your yearly mileage.

Dad4JCZ: I have 5 x 5 minutes on Thursday, but it will be on roads. Also, I only get 3 minutes recovery. I will not be hitting 5:5x! Great mileage for you last week.

pepper: Oooh- that's such a great story about your friend. That's so awesome you got to be part of the experience. Great mileage for you last week.

Rovatti: Yes, that 5K certainly got me out of a mental and physical slump. Great mileage for you last week- a lot for a base, but if it feels good, then go with it!

Darkwave: Nice week for you. Great finish to your progression run on Sunday.

Jim E: Good to hear that the ITB is behaving and you've been able to get core work in. I really hope you are able to run CIM.

Pesto: It's awesome you were able to try trail running. It's so different, and fun in its own way, but not something I personally would make a habit of.

Climber: What marathon!?!

Brewing: I hope that baby makes an appearance soon!

Commander: Thanks for reading my race report. I found a great black Friday deal on a Garmin 630. My 220 still worked ok, but it had stopped syncing to my phone, and sometimes it acted quirky. Plus, like the custom watch face on the 630. It was only $199. Sounds like the antibiotics really impacted your running. I was on one about 2 weeks out from my marathon in the spring and it didn't impact my running at all. I forget the name of it, but I didn't notice any side affects.

Arvind: 2500 is a great accomplishment. You've done a lot of hard work this year.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I did a fun workout today: 2 x 90 seconds, 4 x 60 seconds, 4 x 45 seconds, 4 x 30 seconds, 6 x 15 seconds, all with equal duration recovery jogs. Paces ranged from 5:45-6:25 (with the exception of the first one, which is always a warm up interval!) My legs felt pretty good and I had a lot of energy. It feels awesome to be back in the swing of training.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

After workouts, longer runs, or anything in heat I'll typically drop a Nuun tablet or two in some water to help replenish electrolytes. I don't use anything else except after HM or longer races or 18+ mile runs. I have found that getting some protein after these harder/longer efforts helps my legs recover and not feel as sore afterwards (banana creme muscle milk is SO good!). I don't use gatorade/powerade, or the like since any glycogen burned will be easily replaced by my regular diet, and I don't stack workouts on back-to-back days so there's no real reason to try topping off those stores for the next day's run; I'd rather use the calories on something else.

Ace - Get better. I do agree with Brew in that you seem to be setting the workout bar pretty high for those other expecting fathers in the thread!

Brew - Best of luck on the Optimus Prime aspiration.

E11 - I'd love to know what antibiotic you took that didn't affect you. Of course it could just be different physiologies between us that causes me to be affected and you not. Azithromycin is what I took, and it just wipes out my endurance. HR is always much higher for a given effort level than it should be. It's pretty magical when it works its way out of my system, though (10 days after the last dose); it's like night and day when I go back to the way things should be.

The FR630 is a good watch. If you have the HRM RUN chest strap I highly recommend using it to help determine your LT. Two summers ago I did that and based all of my training around lactate threshold heart rate (with plenty of LT work) and saw a massive improvement. Granted I was a pretty new runner, but I notched an 18+ minute marathon PR (on a more difficult course) in the span of 7 months thanks to it. Ever since then I've been rather fond of tempo/LT work.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

I did a fun workout today: 2 x 90 seconds, 4 x 60 seconds, 4 x 45 seconds, 4 x 30 seconds, 6 x 15 seconds, all with equal duration recovery jogs. Paces ranged from 5:45-6:25 (with the exception of the first one, which is always a warm up interval!) My legs felt pretty good and I had a lot of energy. It feels awesome to be back in the swing of training.

Nice! That's called a Mona Fartlek! (I recognized it!)

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/tempo-with-the-mona-fartlek/

If I'm able to acquire this beverage prior to 12/10/17 it qualifies for a new badge for National Lager Day.

EDIT: I know I could read about it in the Hanson's book but does anyone have advice (dw) on mixing in cross-training (TRX Bands) with running and speed/tempo/threshold/GMP runs? I'm thinking 2-3 days a week for 20-30 minutes to start out. I think it's what I'll need to break into the April Marathon land plus, I'll admit it, I'm not getting any younger.

Brew ~ It's a malty, Marzen style made near Charlottesville, VA.

On XT: Ideally you chase speed work w/ strength training, either "immediately" -- dry clothes, some fuel -- or later in day; if you can't do ideal, do it on medium days; try and keep your easy days easy to recover.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

E78 - that workout does sound like fun.  I love time based workouts.

Regarding combining strength-training with running - I agree with Dad.  It's best done as soon as possible after your hard running workouts, to maximize your recovery before the next hard day.  For something like TRX, I think an additional benefit of doing it post workout is that you'd be working on holding a stable position while tired - developing that skill really pays dividends at mile 22 of the marathon.

Antibiotics - I'm with CK - I can NOT run well on them as a general rule - I struggle to complete 10 miles at easy pace.  They just wipe me completely.  For me, a "z-pack" has been the exception - I can still function on that.  But put me on Clindamycin and I'm useless.

Recovery beverages - I like water.  Or coconut water.  Or EFS electrolyte mix.

RLK - good luck at CIM ijust in case I can't get to the computer again before (busy).  Ditto to Jim if he runs it.  I can't believe it's been a full year since the meet-up with slightly-better-than-imaginary-friends.  I'm still so glad I made that trip.

Brewing - enjoy the waiting game!

11 miles this am - 3 mile-ish warm-up, then 3x1600 in 6:15, 6:13, 6:07 with 5 minute jogging recoveries, then 4 mile cooldown plus injury prevention/leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.   Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a minor asthma flare right now - my guess is that it's a belated reaction to last week's race while sick.  I had trouble on Sunday's run as well, but MP work isn't as challenging as hard mile repeats when my breathing's tight.  I had to back off some to survive this morning's workout.  I've got additional inhaled corticosteroids I can take when I'm flaring, so I'm hitting those in hopes of calming stuff down.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Climber: What marathon!?!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Elizabeth - only equal recovery jogs? That’s a solid workout!

Tucson Marathon on December 9th.  I just signed up for it a couple of days ago so I guess I’m in.  I also booked an Airbnb again.  Last time I did this I spent the night at Logan International Airport.

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18