3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Were you running by feel or targeting paces?

Yes! 

I didn't want to work too hard and wasn't sure how it would play out, so began conservatively and after the 'HMP' segment let myself hit more aspirational paces.

Yes. Doing Master's Indoors 3000m. And probably a few tune-up indoor meets as well.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Quote from darkwave on 11/30/2017 at 12:09 PM:

Nice - I like time-based.workouts  Were you running by feel or targeting paces? 

Yes! 

Nice!

First off, thanks for posting the workout. I always like finding new workouts to add to my repertoire. Especially when it's something that hits different effort levels, since most of my workouts are all one-note. Second, I am insanely jealous of your endurance. My 5k and HM paces are both within ~4-5 seconds of yours (I have no idea about 3k/10k since I've never ran those), but your MP is nearly 30 seconds faster than mine. Wow. *insert bowing emoji thing*

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Pesto I've decided 12/5/17, the day she would be induced, would be 17/17 so technically prime. Eh, I'm over it. No one else would have cared.

stroller I know I asked earlier. I found a Baby Jogger Summit X3 to check out tomorrow. Looks brand new. Cheaper than a BOB. Appears to be just as good for running. Input?

Still nothing. 12/3/17. CIM. Full Moon. CIM. See. I. Am.

Just waiting around at work all day. Told the wife I'd like to get out of work early tomorrow.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CDR K ~ Thanks

PJ ~ Are you OK? (You know, massive earthquake up there and all.) <<<------ (that's sarcasm, for you left coasters)

Brew ~ Friday babies are the best. 

260 for the month; 2499 YTD.

pepperjack

pie man

I was driving so I didn't even get to feel this one.

Of course the 2011 one was oddly strong where I was working at the time.  Stuff was falling off the walls and people were running for the stairs (or doorways I suppose).  the building next door had a large crack which I think is still there.

Ran tonight to finish off the month.  Probably should have taken a rest day. But now I'm 253 miles from 2k.  Not impossible, but would require some 70 mile weeks.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

rlk: best of luck this weekend!! I hope you crush it! Is 4 gus all you need for a marathon?!? If so, kudos to you and your most likely happy stomach. Do you do any "sports drink" or electrolytes? A woman from our running group is aiming to qualify for the trials at CIM.  She's awesome! Mother of 3, super down to earth, and super fast. She's 38 and won her AG at the NYRR 5k with a 16:58, I think. Anyways, I look forward to tracking you guys.

brew: lets go! Get that baby moving! Excited for you guys. I've never ran with anything other than the bob, but I've found myself envious of how the baby jogger looks much sleeker. Don't forget our double bob did survive my dog dragging it down the street at full speed on its side. These things are heavy duty.

Dad: I agree, giving just because it's the Tuesday after spending doesn't excite me. Thanks for sharing the workout. How much ground did you cover during that workout?

Dwave: also looking forward to shoe review.

PJ: so, are you gonna go for 2,000 miles or not?!?

dave: nice to see you're getting back into some workouts.

Pesto: do you have a 5k coming up?

I had a quick and nasty cold Sunday-Tuesday. Thought it was gonna get rough. Started drinking a bunch of tea (lemon, echinacea, elder flower, etc.) Threw back a bunch of mucinex, sudafed, and fluids. Woke up Wednesday morning feeling about 90% better. I can't remember a cold that had me feeling that bad, but for only 48-72 hours. Glad it was quick.

I did have to modify my week a bit due to illness. Missed a workout I was anticipating. Discussed with coach and we're not going to try and squeeze it in just to do it. Thankful for his input on this one. I may have ended up overdoing it and not fully recovering (or maybe I would've killed it, who knows ; )

6 easy today with last mile pickup. (7:50-8:00, then 6:33). Bout to work the glutes after this post.

Not sure if anyone enjoys poetry, but the last couple lines of one I read yesterday was a good motivator for me. It's from The Man Watching by Ranier Maria Rilke

"Winning does not tempt the man. This is how he grows: by being defeated, decisively, by constantly greater beings."

A little motivation for chasing those lofty goals.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Pesto

dad - thanks for posting the workout! Sounds tough but fun.

brew - also, 17/17=1, which is also prime

ace - glad to hear you've recovered from the cold. Also, I imagine having a new born and two more kids in the house is a combination for unavoidably missing some workouts. Good call on skipping it.

I registered for a 5k this Sunday. Weather seems to be good: some wind, but low temps (around 30) and no precipitation. As many races here in the winter, it starts in the afternoon (3.30 pm), which I'm not a fan of. But it should be good fun, there's also a christmas market for the family there, so we'll make an afternoon out of it.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Strict WTF adherent

RLK - Go get it. I hope you win.

Dad - Regarding that workout: No. It looks a lot harder than you make it sound.

CD/DW - FWIW, I had a good experience with an Airbnb over Thanksgiving. It seems important to really dig into the reviews.

Brew - That stroller is fine. The Bob is excellent if you can get your hands on one. But I wouldn't expect to use it right away.

Hey to everyone else.

Basketball and swimming season are in full swing, DS just joined the boy scouts and and I'm a big sissy about running in the cold, so my buildup has stalled a bit. If anyone wants a kid, I have a few available for long-term loan.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ace - glad you're feeling a bit better.

Pesto - afternoon races just sound odd.  Like...unnatural.  Do they do that because of available daylight?

Brewing - news yet?

McBen - thanks, but no need for kids at the moment.  Will let you know if that changes (though in all fairness, I'll have to let the boyfriend know first...)

12 miles for me today.  3 mile warm-up (9:34), then 2x3200 in 12:50 (6:25/6:25) and 12:45 (6:25/6:20) with 5 minute recovery jog.  Followed by an extended 4.5 mile cooldown as I jogged to the asthma doctor and then to the local drug store....

Basically, my breathing was lousy during the workout, and those 3200s were struggles.  My asthma doctor's office is very close to the track and opens at 7 am on Friday, so I stopped by during my cooldown just to see if they had any openings today.  As it did, they had one available right then, so I sat down and breathed into a machine.  Yup - my breathing is not good - post-viral asthma flare confirmed.   I got a script from prednisone for the next 3-5 days, which I then filled and started taking.  Hopefully things turn around soon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

A lot of afternoon races in high school.  Of course all training was afternoon as well.

Ace - going to get through the next 10 days and then I'll decide.  I might still need 200 at that point.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I have zero input on that stroller. Sorry. It seems like the forum is currently split between BoB (Ace) and Thule (me).

Ace - Glad you're feeling better. I like the lines of that poem.

Pesto - Good luck at the 5k!

McB - Does the kiddo mow lawns??

DWave - Hopefully those meds turn things around. For some reason running to the asthma doc after a workout sounds amusing to me.

RLK - Best of luck at CIM!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A lot of afternoon races in high school.  Of course all training was afternoon as well.

Ah.  I missed out on that whole part of running.

PJ - good luck at cross-country if you do it.  My team is sending some guys down there.

CK - yes, it was all very NOP-esque.  Ran right from the track to the doctor (it was cold, so I wasn't sweaty/smelly).  Breathed into a tube got a prescription (written in paper) and then jogged to the pharmacy to submit it.  Then ran home, grabbed the car, did some quick injury prevention work at the gym, headed back to the pharmacy to pick up the meds, and popped the pills in the car like the druggie I always dreamed I'd be.

Amusing, but efficient.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

Dwave  - ugh sorry about the asthma - do you usually run with your rescue inhaler? I don't anymore, but there was time I needed to. I'm not entirely sure what changed, to be honest. Hope you get cleared up soon!

Rlk - wanted to stop by and wish you good luck!! Will be watching for updates!

Brew - hopefully things start moving along and you have the new baby soon! I hardly ever use our Bob stroller for running, but I'm still glad I have it I guess.

mcB - I figure I might as well get used to the toddler years before the pre-teens.. will see if I know anyone interested 

Airbnb - I had a great experience with one over Thanksgiving as well. Super cheap place when you consider 7 people stayed there, was near Denver, and no real complaints. It was my first experience, so I don't have much to compare to.

Bad air quality has made its way here, which sucks. I got a LifeTime membership for the TM, and I'm hoping early mornings are still okay for running. Had some nice runs over Thanksgiving and Monday (7.4), and hoping the air is ok tomorrow morning. I wish it wasn't such a huge issue here, because it's a real bummer to have to check all the time.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave, I SMHed at your sentiment of "cdave had a bad airbnb experience so I won't use it." I wasn't going to say anything, but everyone else is chiming in, so I thought I would add my voice as well. We don't avoid airplanes because one of them crashes every so often, right? Millions of them work just fine. Don't forget that Smile I will echo what was said here about combing through reviews, and generally if a listing is super cheap, there's probably a reason why. There is a reason airbnb is super duper successful. I forget if I told you my experience - we selected a rental in Boulder over a weekend in May which had a casual cancellation policy (on both ends - host and renter), and our host canceled on us three days before the trip. (This is a risk we incurred - on the flip side, we could have canceled on our host three days beforehand). They gave us our money back plus a small "inconvenience" fee which wasn't enough to book any other remaining-at-the-last-minute listings in Boulder. We called airbnb and in about 8 minutes a nice lady padded our inconvenience fee with an additional $200 so we could book an available place  which was comparable to our first rental (but actually much nicer). I thought the customer service was great. I have stayed in at least 15 other airbnbs with A++ experiences, no cancellations, etc. /end rant.

thanks all for the well wishes!!!!!!! my body is here in the office, but my mind is not.

jim how are things on the ITB front?

kk- ugh, i can properly empathize with you on the AQ front. really sorry! hope you have some good podcasts lined up. when the AQ is bad, do people walk around with N95 masks?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave, I SMHed at your sentiment of "cdave had a bad airbnb experience so I won't use it." I wasn't going to say anything, but everyone else is chiming in, so I thought I would add my voice as well. We don't avoid airplanes because one of them crashes every so often, right? Millions of them work just fine. Don't forget that Smile I will echo what was said here about combing through reviews, and generally if a listing is super cheap, there's probably a reason why. There is a reason airbnb is super duper successful. I forget if I told you my experience - we selected a rental in Boulder over a weekend in May which had a casual cancellation policy (on both ends - host and renter), and our host canceled on us three days before the trip. (This is a risk we incurred - on the flip side, we could have canceled on our host three days beforehand). They gave us our money back plus a small "inconvenience" fee which wasn't enough to book any other remaining-at-the-last-minute listings in Boulder. We called airbnb and in about 8 minutes a nice lady padded our inconvenience fee with an additional $200 so we could book an available place  which was comparable to our first rental (but actually much nicer). I thought the customer service was great. I have stayed in at least 15 other airbnbs with A++ experiences, no cancellations, etc. /end rant.

Fair enough  [though, I also hate flying and would avoid if I could.  I fly only when there's no other practical option.  If AirBnB was truly the only practical option for staying somewhere, I'd have tried it at some point]

My reluctance to use AirBnb is not based solely on CD's experience, but also on the general ickiness (to me) of staying in a stranger's home and unpredictability of what you are getting - I stay at the same chains regularly, and have memberships/rewards accounts with them, so I have some comfort and certainty in what I'm getting when I book a room

I don't like the two-sided cancellation policies - I have much more confidence in a hotel.  And yes, I do know they can cancel or be overbooked as well, but I feel fairly insulated against that as someone with rewards accounts who books directly with the hotel.

I also may just be a Luddite.    Other aspects of modern life that I dislike and use minimally or not at all:

• texting
                                • Twitter
                                • Instagram
                                • bikeshare (to be fair, this one is because I don't like riding bikes)
                                • Uber/Lyft
                                • ATM cards
                                • tablets/ipads

K77 - yup - I always carry my rescue inhaler with me -- you just never know.   I used my rescue several times this morning pre-workout (as well as during Tuesday's workout) - didn't do squat.  I've also been on the max dose of Qvar (inhaled bronchodilator) the past 5 days to try to calm stuff down - this is in addition to my normal Advair twice-a-day.   Not cutting it, so we had to go nuclear.

I'm very sorry about the AQ issues.  I hope they ease soon - that must be so frustrating.