3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Jim E

Airborne and smiling at mile 17...

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I did that for you all :-) 3:19:59 officially.
      Not my A or B goal, but a goal I have been chasing since 2013. And it appears that I gave my all. So I will happily take it!

The B Goal was high 3:1X's! I think you got the B goal.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Jim E

There was a small cluster of guys running  a few yards behind the lead woman. Someone yelled out to them "Don't get chicked!". We laughed.

Favorite sign: "[Runner's name] Please Finish"

I paid for all that running on the drive home, but now feel fine. This is progress.

rlk ~ Awesome! Congrats. Huge thumbs up and dancing pink elephants and bowing dudes and all that shyt. Really happy for you.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congratulations, rlk!

rlk - fantastic race!!! congrats!!!  (3:19:59 is SO much better than 3:20:01)

dw & fly - I'm tempted...

my week:

• M: 10 with 5 1/2mi hill repeats on TM (omr's) @8mph
                • T: 11 with intervals: 3 x (1200,400) 
                • W: urd
                • Th: 18 easy
                • F: 10 easy
                • S: 10 easy
                • S: 10 easy

total = 69

AceHarris

rlk: awesome race!!! I think you’re going to hold the closest to 3:20 for a long time. Way to go!

The friend from my running club ran 2:42Tight lippedx! I think this gets her into the trials?!? She was 5th or 6th AG. Not too shabby!

I was impressed to see the top 44 guys were sub 2:20. Yikes!! That’s a lot of speed and pain.

enjoyed a good workout today. 10 easy at roughly 7:50 pace, then 3 tempo (6:37, 6:34, 6:33). Last 3 were slight uphill. Our weather continues to be outstanding any time of day!

36.2 miles this week. Took Monday and Tuesday off for illness.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Great pic of Jim's Kat.

Elysian Snailbones IPA

There is always - always - someone who is better/faster/more.  I realized today that I ran about 420 miles of races in Oct/Nov.  Hard to top, you'd think, especially in a group where 40 miles of races in 2 months is probably a lot.  Out of curiosity, I calculated Van Phan's total (she admits to being UCD - ultra compulsive disorder).  At least 423 in Oct/Nov races that I know about, and she won two and got second in another.  423 with 3 podiums > 420 with 1 podium.

It's time for the weekly Seahawks game, in which I cheer on whoever they are playing against.  Go Eagles.  Getting harder to watch though with the CTE stuff.

pepperjack

pie man

5k was fast and flat, which was a bit of a surprise for west v.  Decent field, too.  Ran pretty much easy as I needed all week to try and get my legs back (and if it wasn't to be, not such a big deal).  Not even a great of a warm up and a bit of the usual standing around before the start. But as we got going started to feel strangely great.  I knew I was quick but I kept going, and I had 5:44 first mile on the watch.  But the second mile was a return to reality as the legs got heavy and I was passed by 2nd and 3rd female and maybe a couple of other folks.  But 19:07 was the official time and a 2nd AG to boot.  So I feel ok about that.

Nice work rlk.

I had yet another friend dip under 3:20 at rehoboth so it's been a sweet coulple of weeks.

35 for the week.  All easy until today.  Friday was a rest day.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

OMR

rlk:  congrats!  i don't know how it is that one smiles like that in a marathon, but you seem to manage it well.

hey to everyone.  every time i think i'm going to get back to posting regularly, life gets in the way.  but i still try to keep up on the reading.  i didn't get picked for western states, so i'm debating what to do after the black canyon 100k.  i'm using this cycle for base building...lots of slow, easy running with treadhills.  last week for me...

S:  9.7

M:  12
                        T:  Rest
                        W:  14

T:  12

F:  8

S:  19

Total:  74.7, @ 8:52OA with 3900' of climbing.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

OMR sighting - cool!

PJ: You are surprisingly fast.  I guess that is a backhanded compliment but I don't mean it that way.  On one hand you do ridiculous things like NeverSummer and on the other you rip off these fast races.  I'm impressed.

Pesto

rlk - huge congrats!!! It must feel great to get Goal - 1 sec. And even more when you passed out for it. Oh, great photo too!

PJ - great racing to you too!

DkW - re afternoon races, it may be either a daylight or a temperature thing. Not all races are like that in the winter, but there's definitely a larger amount than during the rest of the year.

Also, no ATM cards?! How do you get cash?!

Aibnb - I definitely support it. I've had nothing but great experiences so far, and have used it quite extensively over the last 5 years. Of course, combing the reviews is critical. I never get anything with less than 4.5 stars and a decent number of reviews. Also, I find that travelling with a baby/toddler, it's much more comfortable being in an apartment (with at least one bedroom) than at a hotel room.

Jim - bummer about not running CIM, but glad to hear the ITB is feeling better. And good luck with training the next 13 weeks!

rovatti, OMR - fantastic weeks! You're killing it.

Hi everyone else! My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                            Mon 5.2 8:58 0:46 Lunch Run strava
                            Tue 9.8 8:17 1:21 Lunch Run strava
                            Wed 12.6 7:36 1:35 Steady MLR strava
                            Fri 7.8 8:21 1:05 Lunch Run strava
                            Sun 0.1 14:00 0:01 Last minute warm up strava
                            Sun 3.0 5:50 0:17 Modling Adventlauf 5k - Official 17:31 strava
                              38.5 8:00 5:08

Had a good week, happy with almost 40 miles considering I had 2 rest days and no LR due to the 5k race on Sunday.

The 5k went very well, but I suspect the course was short unfortunately. This is very strange, since this is the 28th edition of the race and it's known to be very competitive, with some elite runners participating. Valentin Pfeil, the best austrian marathoner who ran the 2016 olympics marathon won it a couple of times, and not by much. Also, Andreas Vojta ran it once or twice. The course is on strava and it measures 5 km there (https://www.strava.com/routes/341548). However, I suspect it was not measured as the "shortest possible route", so when running the tangents runners can save some distance. Most of the runners that I saw on strava measured 4.8x or 4.9x km. So it's either that, or there is a systematic gps error there.

Anyway, I was hoping to get under 18:30 and hopefully closer to 18 on a great day. In the end, my official time was 17:31, over 4.83 km according to garmin. That was good enough for 27th OA and 5th AG (M30). Winner ran a 14:30. I was very happy with my performance and kept passing people throughout the race, feeling great and finishing quite strong (splits were 8:43 and 8:48, on a 2-loop course). However, the feeling is a little bittersweet in the end, I guess ace is familiar with it. I'm not 100% sure the course is short, but honestly I highly doubt I can run a 17:31 5k.

Alright, this week will be the first of my 18-week programme for Paris (adapted Pfitz 18/55 to peak at 60 mpw instead). Back to training!

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

PJ & Pesto ~ Nice racing! Short courses infuriate me.

Rovatti & OMR ~ Nice weeks. Good mileage.

My week:

M) 7.25

Tu) 7.75 w/ strides

W) 11 w/ "Even Steven" workout

Th) 7.25

F) 7.25 w/ 10 x 12" hill sprints

Sa) 11 w/ 4x2K (~6:26) w/ 2' recovery

Su) SRD/P90X "X Stretch" (~ an hour of total body stretching)

Total: 51.5 ... beginning taper for 15K race next week

Speaking of... after two unseasonably warm/humid goal races this year, I'm looking at first cold snap of winter  ... temps right at freezing, but wind chills in mid 20s; what would you wear?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jim Sweet photo. I saw Tim Tollefson was at CIM and posted a video of the lead female. Looked like a lot of guys around her. I wonder how many were using her for pacing duties and how many were just trying to keep up. Hope the IT band starts getting better. I hated when mine hurt.

PJ 19...seriously? DAMN that is fast. I hope to be there one day. Anything cool for 2nd AG?

Ace CIM is a "fast" course. It is pretty much sealevel and USUALLY has perfect weather for PRs. The 100% flat last 5 miles might help with it too.  Oh and I was thinking about you when I found a Bells Two Hearted clone recipe along with the Expedition Stout clone. Apparently the logo for two hearted changed a while ago.

Pesto Nice "5k" time.

omr I always forget your the other crazy person like Max who wants to do WS all the time.

Nothing on the baby front. I have a feeling it's going to come down to inducing her tomorrow (pitosin drip apparently) so hopefully my wife isn't TOO nervous about it.

rlk after seeing the photo I'm going to add in "Smiles for miles" as a cliche saying. It's supposed to help you get through the tough times remembering the miles that were fun. Wink I'm sure you'll end up using one of the many I gave you and laugh when you have to explain where you heard it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22