3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - I have a tune-up HM on the 28th, with my goal M on 9/19. After a rather epic solo 20-miler this past Sunday (with faster-than-expected marathon effort second half) I did something to my hip/lower back area while sitting down to drink some water. Yes, sitting down. I could barely walk until Tuesday morning, but today I don't feel like I have any issues. I haven't run since Sunday, and probably won't until Saturday if things continue as they have.

The farthest I've travelled for a marathon is less than 2 hours, but: I've just done a light supper out (typically pasta) the night before. I used to bring a small crock pot to make oatmeal for the morning of, but I've since decided I'm going to ditch that and go with Honey Stinger or maybe Gu stroopwaffles instead.
    What are you distance trainers? I ran my PR marathon in Kinvaras and didn't have any issue with "lack of cushion". Since you don't seem to have time to test out the Kinvaras in a 20 (or so) miler I'd probably lean toward the trainers. I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to risk on lighter-weight, but unproven-at-distance shoes vs ones that are heavier and a known factor.

For treadmills I'm looking at ones from local used exercise equipment stores since everything I've found on craig'slist or similar is very low-end and  unlikely to handle the mileage I would put on it. So far my leaders are (in no particular order) True PS300 or CS650, and the Landice L7 Pro. If you find anything solid let me know.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

CK: sitting can be hard, sorry about that.

My distance trainers are Pearl Izumi Road N3. This is my 3rd pair. Great shoes. Typically on 20+ milers, I've stopped and tightened the laces at 15-16. I don't really want to do that mid-race, but will if I have to.  The only "fast" miles in these trainers were at the end of long runs, so not sure if the added "weight" will bother me at MP for the longer distance. I guess if I blow up at mile 21, It would be more comfortable to walk in the trainers, so there's that.  Also, my Kinvaras by race day will have a little over 300 miles, N3s will have 230ish. See how I can run down these rabbit holes of race preparation. Maybe I'll wear one of each and just stay positive. 

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

resident zombie

ace - Does the race have a dinner the night before? I’ve done that at every marathon I’ve done (only 3 though, but all out of town). Re: shoes, what’s the farthest you’ve raced in the Kinvaras?

keen - Glad you’re continuing to improve. Good idea for your run Saturday

max - Interesting to hear about the Paris marathon. Do they do the sugar cubes? (remembering a story from a Big Sur pacer)

omr - Congrats! A patch makes it 100% legitimate

mcben - also wondering about u-trow (*cough* help max? *cough*) I discovered that if you take 5 minutes on running warehouse, that’s the ads you get afterwards, so it's ok for me now

AceHarris

phoffer: I think just you mentioning running warehouse changed my ads. I've raced a 10k in them. I also did a 12 mile progression, which ended up averaging about 5 seconds above goal marathon pace.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Ace: If you have the option to cook the night before, do that.  Not 100% like eating a meal at home but pretty close.  And you don't want to get the new shoes at the expo the day before the race, you want to get them at the demo table just before the race starts, like Brew and I did at CIM last Dec.  I went through the same shoe waffling before Tunnel and opted for the less-cushioned lighter shoes even though some cushioning would be nice on the trail.  It worked well for me.

Pesto: 2014 but it looks like I didn't write a RR.  The tunnel is the one where Lady Di crashed - probably because of the disco ball lighting. After the race, Maston produced beers for me and my college friend, and we drank them there standing about 50 yards from the Arc De Triomphe.  The setting can't be beat.  Plan to get French though.  E.g. I stripped naked in the finish area to change out of my wet clothes, because the only other option was to attempt it in a porta-potty.  On the positive side, in the starting corrals there were plenty of open-air urinals to take care of business in - not so many porta-potties though (again, making it really easy for women to participate).  Maston probably will come up with some other tips, since he lived there for a while.

dlsmd

Finally found this

Glad to be home

OMR

Dwave:  Sorry to hear about the cat and cancelled race.  You're in great condition...hope you can find a race to take advantage of your fitness.

Pesto:  I do like the Daniels plans (from the 2nd edition, I don't own the 3rd), but I felt I peaked too early the last time I used it as well.  But, it set me up for a PR roughly 12 weeks later.

max:  Thanks...I know you mean well. 

Ace:  I like chicken and rice the night before, and if I eat out, will request that it be cooked without spices that cause me trouble.  As for shoes, I've used Kinvaras + orthotics for marathons, and it has been a win-win for me.  But I had also tested them out on an LR.

Hey all...

Pesto

ace - My big suggestion is not to take it as easy as possible the previous days, i.e., no or very little tourism in Columbus until after the race. A 5.5 hrs drive seems a a tad bit long, but should be fine (Europeans here would say it's way too long). Are you driving on Friday or Saturday? If leaving on Friday was an option, I'd do that. RE shoes, like CK, I think I'd go for the cushioned shoes since you know they'd work, and the relatively high mileage of the Kinvaras on race day could have an effect on their cushioning. However, if the Kinvaras do not feel worn out at all, then they may be an option since they seem to have worked very well for some marathoners in the past (I found this regarding some old versions of the shoe: http://www.dailymile.com/blog/running/review-of-the-saucony-kinvara-as-a-marathon-shoe)

max - that comment on Lady Di's tunnel was a good one. Seems like you guys had a great time despite the slower course, with all the alcohol and lack of clothes. And thanks, I'd be very interested in hearing sam's comments on both the marathon and Paris itself.

OMR - thanks a lot for the input on JD. Do you remember if you used a 12 or 18 week program? And how did you manage the 12 week break between both marathons in terms of training?

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Strict WTF adherent

Ace - New Kinvaras are great, but old ones are asking for sore feet. As for food: Yes, eat food and try not to think about it too much.

CK - Those both look like quality treadmills. Not that you asked, but I just got a Cybex 770T and it seems pretty good.

DW - Sorry about this weekend ... but at least the weather looks crappy?

R2R2R Crew: We have competition. http://trailrunnermag.com/people/qas/tim-freriks-grand-canyon-fkt.html

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Doc - Glad you found us.

McBen - Thanks for the input. In my online research I've read good things about Cybex, but I haven't seen any available locally. So far I think I'm leaning toward the Landice and I'll try heading to the store this weekend to try them out.

Me - More progress with the hip! Things feel normal as of this morning. I'm currently planning on a very easy, safe run tomorrow morning. Drive to the softball fields and run the path around them so that I'm really close to my car just in case things don't go well (not that I'm anticipating that at all). Between this and some scheduling conflicts (soccer games for DD1&2) I've missed more LRs with the running club this cycle than I've made.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

OMR

Pesto:  The JD plan was 18 weeks, with a mileage peak of 92.25.  Looking back at my logs, I guess I had a few extra weeks between marathons...16 to be exact.  Two were recovery, then a quick ramping up of mileage back to 70...peaked at 95, followed a Hudson-inspired plan with lots of hard hills (0.5M @ 5k effort).

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

finally found this! woof.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Speed Surplus

Finding this thread has been harder than starting to run again.  

DWave: Sorry about both the scratch, and the cat.

OMR: National Champ! Don't downplay it. I'd sew that patch onto the front of every shirt I own and walk around with a boombox blaring Queen's "We Are the Champions" 25/8.

Yesterday was the first day when I started to feel "kinda" fit again. Just 4.5 miles at 8:28 pace, but it felt breezy and effortless at times, and my HR was nudging lower to where I feel it should be.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks guys for your well wishes for Isabella (the cat).  She is out of surgery now and recovering, so I'm a bit more able to focus on other things.  Whether I race next weekend still depends on the next few days, and whether I need to hang around next weekend.  I am tapering as if I am going to race next weekend.  If it doesn't happen, then I'll just go directly into a break.

For those of you wondering, the short version of the Izzy saga is:

She has/had a gall bladder stone and inflammation of her pancreas and intestines, with bad liver values as well - first identified last Sunday.  After trying to get the stone to pass via other means all week, we decided to operate today.  It was very risky, but the choices were to try to surgically remove the stone or just put to sleep.

The good news is that when they went in, it appeared that the stone had finally passed between the last ultrasound and the surgery.  So no need to remove it.  Really, the best result one could have, other than avoiding the surgery altogether.  So they closed her up and she's recovering now.   We're not out of the woods yet - we need another ultrasound to confirm the stone is gone, and we also need for all the inflammation to subside.

The ironic part is how it was diagnosed.  She was acting unwell on Sunday (vomiting and not eating) so I took her to the emergency vet.  The vet examined her, and she was happy, affectionate, pain-free, and all her vitals were normal.  So the suggestion was that I should just take her home and watch. 

But I asked for an ultrasound anyway.  It was expensive and arguably unnecessary, but I wanted the peace of mind before running my marathon.    And...of course the stone showed up on the ultrasound - we had caught it before it completely blocked stuff.

Neuroticism pays, folks.

Back to running:

No input on treadmills.

Ace - it's all very individual, but I fall very much on the conservative side in marathon prep.   I will, with a smile, note that you're asking these questions a bit late...

Travel: I always travel two days before, whether driving or flying.

Shoes: I test stuff out during my 20 milers - the shoe that feels best at the end of 20+ miles is what I race in.  The exact shoe will have 30-50 miles on it - just enough that I know that there's not a manufacturing defect in the shoe, but still almost new.   I'll be racing in the Adidas Adios Boost 2, which is what I wear for any race longer than 10K, plus long runs and track workouts.   That's a pretty light shoe, but I'm very comfortable in it - most likely because I'm small and wear very light shoes in general - the Adios is as heavy as my normal shoes go.

Meals: Before each of my 20-22 mile long runs, I spend the last 18 hours eating the same things I'll eat pre-race.  After experimentation, I've settled on Chipotle for lunch (hold the salsa, beans, and guac), very light dinner of overcooked veggies plus Ucan mixed in coconur water.  Then my normal pre-run breakfast.

I have all sorts of GI issues, so I need to be very precise with what I eat.  That's why I log my pre-run breakfasts, and how they sit in my stomach.

Should OMR become OMNC?

Welcome back, DLSRLKSC!  McBen - thanks for your leadership here.

Between the last minute extra week of taper, and all the missed runs due to cat issues, this has been an odd taper.  If I race, I guess it will be a good experiment.  How does Darkwave run a marathon off of a 5 week taper and substitution of cat visits for pool-runs?

Last few days have been:

T: 8, including 6x800 (2:57, 2:57, 2:55, 2:54, 2:52, 2:47).  Skipped all the other junk to be with cat.
                              W: 9 very easy in AM (9:04).  A smidgen of pool-running in the evening (11 minutes) before abandoning early to check on cat.
                              Th: 6.5 miles pool-running in morning, then upper body weights and core.  Skipped pool-running at night to check on cat.

Today was 10 miles - 3 warm-up (9:44), 5K tempo in 19:34 (6:29/6:15/6:08/0:42), then 4 cooldown (10:01).  Also injury prevention work.  No recovery swimming - wanted to be available for phone call about cat.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

A 3:20 Slowpoke

finally found this! woof.

Me too...........Getting used to a new home is going to take some adjusting!

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18