3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Wow, CDave that is a great race!  I like how you had a vague but positive goal.  And some of those miles are so fast.

Congrats to Dad on being a successful slightly-slower old guy.

New American W70-74 road 50k AG record today at the Seward Park 50k - my friend's mom cut the record from 5:44Tight lippedx to 5:30Tight lippedx.  Seems soft compared to the M70-74 time of 4:16, but still, it was cool to watch her run steady and strong.  And she was focused on safely breaking the record, not running her best possible time (not much competition in a 15 person race).  Uli Steidl tried for the M45-49 record (Uli and his wife - the RD for this 50k - have something like 13 Seattle Marathon winners' trophies between them) but his plan for the race included no specific training, no real taper, 4 10-11 hour work days doing physical labor the past few days, and not taking much nutrition in the first 3/4 of the race.  So he faded toward the end - still won in ~3:25 but missed the record by ~10 minutes.

Pesto

CD - Huge congrats on the sub-3:15 and a ridiculous 7 min PR! That is crazy for someone with as many marathons under your belt as you. Very cool about not looking at your garmin during the second half. I don't think I'd be able to do that for more than one mile. Do you think that helped? Maybe seeing such fast splits would have made you slow down? Would you consider running a FM without a watch? Also, loved the 3 second positive split Smile

dad - great job and congrats on the AG win! I think I missed it, but what was the distance?

PJ - sounds like a fun weekend. It's crazy that a 42 min 10k puts you in the last 5.

Jim - glad to hear you're back out running and feeling better.

brew - everything ok there? How was the move back home?

hi ilana!

omr and DkW - great weeks from both of you!

Hi everyone else! My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
      Mon 5.2 8:16 0:42 Lunch Run strava
      Wed 8.1 7:36 1:01 13km with 6km @ LT strava
      Thu 9.1 8:00 1:13 Lunch Aerobic Run strava
      Fri 5.8 8:40 0:50 Lunch Run strava
      Sun 11.4 7:49 1:29 MLR strava
        39.6 8:00 5:16

Week 1/18 of a slightly modified Pfitz 18/55 for Paris. All according to plan pretty much.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

pepperjack

pie man

I'm still 4 months away from being eligible to run in masters.  So it was open or nothing.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

A 3:20 Slowpoke

A couple of other details I forgot to mention in the RR.  I only did GU gels at miles 5, 10, 15 & 20.  I had a pack of GU chews with me as well but decided I didn’t need them.  Also, for you heart rate monitor people,  my average hr for the race was 148 with a max o175.  The max came on the finishing kick!

Dad - nice race and congrats on the AG win! What’s next for you?

Pesto -  hoping you have a solid and injury free training cycle.  Shooting for sub 3, yes?  I seem to like monitoring my miles during the first half of a marathon and seeing where I am at the 1/2 but then I just prefer to run at a consistent effort for the next 12.  I’ve done this for most of my recent marathons and it seems to work for me.  I’m not sure I would’ve slowed down had I seen the pace for each later mile but it  would just add more stress, worry, and over thinking.  I think I could race Garmin free but I still like the occasional feedback.

Im still pretty stoked about the result.  I also only need about 50 more miles before the end of the year to hit 3,000.  That’s about a 500 mile personal best and 800 more than last year.

Thanks to everyone for kudos and congrats.  I’ll be moving on to the sub 3 forum now so goodbye.  (just kidding, 3:20 for life!)

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

PJ ~ Nice report.

Pesto ~ 15K

SMax ~ Love reading about 70 y/o's still racing!

CDave ~ Terrific pacing. New miles PR and then big marathon PR, hmmm. Next goal races are a 5K and indoor 3000m.

DkW ~ Saw some of your teammates (and my breath!) through East Potomac Park; otherwise it was pretty sparse.

Strict WTF adherent

Just dropping in to send my congrats to Dave before I forget.

PJ - It's all over at 40. Kidding (sort of).

I think my kids gave me the plague. For the rest of you, turn back before it's too late.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

pj- oh oh my bad.

mcB- i still have the plague, too. Sad

GUYS. This is gonna be magical.

2018 Boston Marathon John Hancock Elite USA Team

Deena Kastor

2:19:36 (London, 2006)

@DeenaKastor

Jordan Hasay

2:20:57 (Chicago, 2017)

@JordanHasay

Shalane Flanagan

2:21:14 (Berlin, 2014)

@ShalaneFlanagan

Desiree Linden

2:22:38 (Boston, 2011)

@des_linden

Serena Burla

2:26:53 (Osaka, 2017)

@serena_burla

Sara Hall

2:27:21 (Frankfurt, 2017)

@SaraHall3

Molly Huddle

2:28:13 (New York City, 2016)

@MollyHuddle

Kellyn Taylor

2:28:40 (Houston, 2015)

@kellyn_taylor     

Dathan Ritzenhein

2:07:47 (Chicago, 2012)

@djritzenhein

Abdi Abdirahman

2:08:56 (Chicago, 2006)

@Abdi_runs

Galen Rupp

2:09:20 (Chicago, 2017)

@G_Rupp

Ryan Vail

2:10:57 (London, 2014)

@ryanvail

Shadrack Biwott

2:12:01 (New York, 2016)

@skiptoob

Scott Smith

2:12:21 (Frankfurt, 2017)

@scott_n_ready

Andrew Bumbalough

2:13:58 (Tokyo, 2017)

@abumbalough

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

GUYS. This is gonna be magical.

That women's field is stacked. Hard to fathom that SH has a faster PR than MH. Some serious motivation in that entry list!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CDave - Way to go!! I agree with RLK; that puts you very solidly in the "and beyond" category. Nice RR.

DWave - Nice week.

Brew - How's fatherhood treating you?

2018 Botswana Elites - Wow. That's a stacked lineup.

I managed to put up a semi-decent week last week at nearly 49 miles, with a couple workouts. Hopefully I can get a good deal more than that this week, as the next few weeks will likely be pretty low-mileage...

DW had a routine appointment earlier today and her OB told her it's "unrealistic" that baby will stay put until 12/21 given contractions and other things (all is fine). I think she's on the phone with the hospital right now to move the scheduled delivery to the 18th (next Monday!) at the doctor's recommendation.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Nice reports, PJ and Dave!

For OMR and anyone else who hasn't been following along on Strava and is curious: I've been managing a combination of mountain biking, walking/hiking, and elliptical at the gym.  After 30-45 minutes on the elliptical I've done alternating running and walking loops of the indoor track that runs around the upper level above the basketball court, because it's a relatively soft surface - according to the sign, it's 13 laps/mile, but Strava somehow has been coming up with paces, not sure how (arm swinging?) but they're a little slower than by lap count - then again, I'm probably not hitting the button at exactly the same place each time!

Anyway, I'd been doing 8 laps, that is, 4 run and 4 walk alternating, and it hurt a little but not much.  Yesterday I did my 8 and it didn't hurt at all, so I did 8 more, and still no pain.  So I'm taking this as a good sign and plan to build up my run intervals slowly, indoor at first and then outside (I hope soon, the weather is gorgeous).

My endurance is terrible, though, and my HR seems to spike whenever I do anything hard (biking), so I expect it's going to be a long road back. As far as my injury goes, as I reported last month the X-ray showed healing, but my DEXA scan and bone remodeling blood markers were worrisome, so I'm on a medication which inhibits the bone breakdown process for at least the next year.

ilana - sounds like you're headed in the right direction

climberdave - excellent time and execution.  Training on hills at altitude seems to work for the Kenyans too.

dad - v nice 15K

pepper - jumping into the open division takes guts.  Congrats.

B'town women - what a race that will be

Jim E

rlk - That's quite a field, and the men look pretty good, too.

Hey, we've had a couple of nice race reports today. Nice work Cdave and PJ!

Ilana - Nice progress. I can sort-of relate. I'm not running every day, my easy pace is where recovery pace used to be, and recovery pace is super-ten.

Pesto

CD - thanks! The idea is to shoot for sub-3, but we'll see how the training goes. The biggest restriction in this regard will be the new little one coming in early January. I know I will not be able to train as much as for Berlin (that's why I'm not doing JD), but I think that could be a good thing too and could help me get to the starting line fresher.

And that makes a lot of sense RE looking at the garmin during the first half and seems like a very smart strategy to me. I feel like it's hard to gauge how to run a FM by effort (for me at least), but a HM is manageable. Hope you're enjoying a well deserved rest and enjoying all the holiday treats.

dad - thanks for the answer, fantastic time!

ilana - glad to hear you are on your way to recovery. No pain is always a good sign, the rest will come back.

CK - wow, Monday?! Unless you can juggle raising 3 kids, work and running like ace does, it makes sense that you'd want to put as much running in as possible this week.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - It's nice to see you back here and not "just" on Strava. Good to hear that running hasn't been causing pain. Hopefully that keeps up.

Pesto - Yup, Monday! This actually works out a little better for me. I have saved enough PTO to take all of next week off, rather than just the Thursday/Friday of that week. It's nice that I won't be losing out on using that extra time off.
                              I'm hoping I can work all this out as well as Ace can. With the new baby coming I'm largely considering my upcoming training cycle as more of a building phase for fall. Funny thing is, the hospital we're having the baby at is literally across the road from the lake with the most popular running path in the entire city around it, and I won't get to use it at all!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

That women's field is insane, but half those dudes are going to DNS/DNF.

11:11 3,000 (recent)