3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I have issues cause I log miles at running2win, so i have to type out runninga  before it realizes I want to go here.  And usually by then I have decided to go to running2win and look at my log and the rest of my team.

I don't think I am doing any more traveling for a while.  I might write something on the Wind River excursion I did two weeks ago, but without the GPS record it will be a lot less fun.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Jim E

rlk - Yes I'm racing Humboldt. Going to camp up there, which will be fun.

Zab - Welcome! I'm thinking of doing your local marathon (Chicago) next year. I was so proud of myself for getting a sub 3:15 qualifying time, and now I see for next year they are age grading it, and all I need is sub-4. Well dammit.

Dwave - That's promising news about the cat. Hope you get to race.

Meanwhile I've had to cancel track today because of the smoke from the fires around Santa Rosa/Napa. On the bright side, I'll have a bit more time this evening to peruse this here thread, maybe do a proper post or even a weekly (OK I'm getting carried away maybe)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

jim- we are 50/50 canceling track tonight. are you running outside at all?
        we were planning to make a weekend out of humboldt - a night in petaluma, then the next one further north. really unsure.
        any conception of what pace you might be running this time? perhaps i can glue myself to your elbow again? Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Jim E

rlk - It wasn't too bad early this morning, and I got a run in. But now it's much worse here in the East Bay, maybe the wind changed or something. Yesterday was awful. I had not kept up with the news, and could smell something burning as soon as I went outside. I assumed it was a local fire and wondered why it did not change after I had run a couple of miles. Then I met up with RB2 who enlightened me.

Pace - I don't think I am as fast as I was this time last year, but may try 7:00 or thereabouts just in case. See you there.

AceHarris

A lot to catch up on.

max: 3 days for 240 meters, sounds like a walk in the park. best of luck

hips: best of luck to all hips that are feeling rough out there.

keen: have you every been sprayed by a skunk? I'm fearful, as I see more now than I used to. I feel like I would have to take a few days off work if that happened.

dwave: glad kitty is getting better. Maybe her "making you a liar" was a way of saying "I'm Back!" I hope you make it to Columbus. If so, goal in mind?

brew: I'm running Columbus on 10/15. Really pretty excited about it. This taper week is driving me a little crazy, though. this morning was my last workout.

ilana: I don't purposely use/not use capital letters, my SHIFT key works part time. I just felt the need to let you know.

scream: welcome or welcome back. You prefer "scream" or "zab" or something else.

rlk: my brother lives in Napa, said it was pretty crazy. They evacuated to Oakland yesterday. His business was 1/2 mile from the fires. No news yet today from him. They said the smoke smell was making it down to San Jose as well. Crazy stuff.

Elizabeth: nice 10 miler! I've heard about these hills at Columbus from 16-19. I'm going to go check them out the day before the race just to see how it looks. It's roughly 1/3 of the total elevation gain for the race.

rovatti: you "ellipticalled" more this week than I have in my life. I hope the hips gets better soon.

Arvind: not sure on the running on empty theory. Nice work on 10 HMs in 1 year! What marathon are you aiming for again? I bet you'll see some good gains when you taper for a race.

Hey everybody! Hope all is well.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Jim E

ACE - SHIFT KEY? PFFT. CAPS LOCK IS MUCH EASIER!

Zab!  Welcome... it's been a while.   Try to drag your buddy Stig over here with you.

Cheers to Dad and PJ.

I got a cortisone shot today (in the tensor fascia lata area)... I'm going to minimize walking (which aggravates it) and stick to the bike and pool for exercise...

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - I have never been sprayed by a skunk, or sprayed at, for that matter. I have been within range before I've seen them several times (most commonly in town around a track or walking path), and I've stood in the middle of a road and waited for them to clear off a number of times as well.

Rovatti - I seem to be taking the path of giving up my fitness in getting past my hip issues. Hopefully the shot helps. Want to race to see who gets better first??

Left coast - Is that place always on fire for one reason or another?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

c keen- yeah, there are wildfires in general (and they're not all bad - some are natural/good for sustaining forests. clear out the old, welcome the new), but when it's super dry and remains uncontrolled and is just such a huge area / volume of smoke traveling this far... i think this is way worse than usual. jim and max and ilana probably know more about this stuff than i do.

Katia77

Hey all !! Been a minute -- I think I tried my RW name (KKRunner) here a long time ago and it wouldn't let me. But, it's me. Took me a minute to get here. Glad the kitty is getting better dwave!

Jim - hope the air gets better - it was nasty here when fires were in UT, ID, and MT

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A lot to catch up on.

dwave: glad kitty is getting better. Maybe her "making you a liar" was a way of saying "I'm Back!" I hope you make it to Columbus. If so, goal in mind?

Oh, tough question.  Sub 3:05 in good weather.  But that forecast is not looking good at all right now.    If that holds, 3:15 may be a smart goal.

Zab - welcome back! (except to a dffferent place).  I seem to remember you from the past.

Elizabeth - good job at the 10M  - that was ridiculous on Sunday.

Californians - stay safe, please.

Excited that more regulars have found their way here.

Rovatti and CK  - take care of those hips!

I did my last pre-marathon workout (really, this time) this morning.  3 warm-up (9:27), 3x800 in 2:55, 2:51, 2:47 with 2:3x recovery, 2 mile cooldown (9:34).  Felt freakishly good despite a dewpint of 70.  I don't think I've passed my peak yet, I hope.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

passed through KK land today. Gorgeous mountains. Ate dinner at a brewpub. On one side of me a guy had hurt his shoulder in a dirt bike accident. On the other side two guys were talking guns and bows. Apparently trigger speed is important for trap shooting. Muzzle loaders sometimes result in lost animals.

on the running front, Boise has nice trails along the river. I did 3 was today to offset all the car time this week.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave that is FAST. nice work.

max- only 3mi? ugh. you don't run very much, do you.

track happened, and the air quality actually improved a lot in the evening due to strong western wind (ie drop all the haze over the pacific ocean).
                            we had a special guest (not that goofy, grinning one on the right)

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen left coast isn't ALWAYS on fire but this year has been bad. A couple years ago Yosemite had a huge fire and it filled my area with smoke as well. We're getting some of it blowing in. It's crazy how much was ruined in this fire.

rlk who dat?

max interesting facts about hunting. I also didn't know triggers moved at different speeds. wife's aunt lives in Boise. They have a marathon up there we should do. Huge charity event. Lots of celebs I won't identify.

ace enjoy the taper week and just remind yourself this is what it will be like next week. Good luck man. You're going to crush it!

dark how's k*tty?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Arvind Balaraman

Richmond , Nov 11

Arvind: not sure on the running on empty theory. Nice work on 10 HMs in 1 year! What marathon are you aiming for again? I bet you'll see some good gains when you taper for a race.