2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

I would love to run with them and listen to the shit talk. 

Nah... I cannot talk shit face to face - that's totally an online thing 

On a more positive note, I’m only a couple of pounds over my usual race weight. Cal can jog as many miles as he likes - but I’ll still be slim and gorgeous. ❤️

Mikkey - that's great you only see my jogging miles. Though I should admit that taking weight off is way harder for me than running. Re qualifying time - I do not think you should be worried too much - plenty of time - you can qualify for Boston even if you run sick, pretty sure you can qualify for it even if you run it this Sunday, that's not a problem. It's all about whose muscles are less stiff on a specific day of Apr il 19th 2021...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Brew - That works for me ill post my shorter distances in the Sub 1:30.

Slammin - I’m not sure if you’d fit in there as it’s like The Waltons - one big happy family. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Slammin - I’m not sure if you’d fit in there as it’s like The Waltons - one big happy family. 

Hahaha In that case I'll stay out.... I'm very misunderstood. People are very thinned skinned half of what I say is directed at no one in particular, Maybe one person, just my thoughts on how I see things, everyone get offended. What if I think 50-100 miles are stupid. its my opinion doesn't make it the truth.

Someone say the mile is stupid I wouldn't get upset.

Instead of trying to keyboard fight me, ignore,  it's an opinion not a fact. Or simply say why its special, maybe I'll agree.

There is a passage from Stillitoe's The loneliness of the Long Distance Runner where he talks about this feeling of euphora. I knew it well when I first read it because that's how I feel in the mile. That whole feeling you get too whenever you think of Once a Runner.

5K is too painful, marathon long and boring but maybe an ultra-runner feels the way I do in the mile. I just cant relate because I limit myself to the 50K.   But what if we both feel similar to the feeling Stillitoe describes.

Then he turned into a tongue of trees and bushes where I couldn't see him anymore, and I couldn't see anybody,

and I knew what the loneliness of the long-distance runner running across country felt like,

realizing that as far as I was concerned this feeling was the only honesty and realness there was in the world

and I knowing it would be no different ever, no matter what I felt at odd times,

and no matter what anybody else tried to tell me.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hahaha In that case I'll stay out.... I'm very misunderstood. People are very thinned skinned half of what I say is directed at no one in particular, Maybe one person, just my thoughts on how I see things, everyone get offended. What if I think 50-100 miles are stupid. its my opinion doesn't make it the truth.

I think you secretly love ultra runners...didn’t you run a 50k a few years ago?

Your goal should be to win a 50 miler when you turn 50yo. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

There is a passage from Stillitoe's The loneliness of the Long Distance Runner where he talks about this feeling of euphora. I knew it well when I first read it because that's how I feel in the mile. That whole feeling you get too whenever you think of Once a Runner.

There's a great Iron Maiden track with the same name, which was inspired by the story.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I think you secretly love ultra runners...didn’t you run a 50k a few years ago?

Your goal should be to win a 50 miler when you turn 50yo. 👍

That's not a bad goal. but too far out to think about.

I'll be running JFK with 2 ladies I'm coaching. I'm going to regret it but I'm still going to do it.

I've run every 50k US Championship from 2013 to present except 2015 when I took a year off.

Last year I mentioned possibility of going for the 45-49 time, I've run as fast as 3:16 (2016) and 3:19 last year with a massive dump, actually 2 but that's neither here nor there. That course had rolling hills this year the course is flat along the water exposed to the wind, so I'm not even sure its worth attempting this year. I hate windy races too. Watch how many people will be offended that I don't like the wind, seriously.

Below is the record.

50 km

3:13:07

R

RICH HANNA (CA/49)

SACRAMENTO, CA

(020114)

Race                                                Date            Distance   Result

2019  US Championship            03/03/19       50 KM      
              2018  US Championship             03/04/18       50 KM       
              2017  US Championship             03/05/17       50 KM       
              2016  US Championship             03/06/16       50 KM       
              2014  US Championship             03/01/14       50 KM       
              2013  US Championship             03/03/13       50 KM

Marky I know the song its one of my Fave songs by Iron Maiden on my playlist. a very underrated sound with copacetic guitar riffs.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

There's a great Iron Maiden track with the same name, which was inspired by the story.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As a huge Iron Maiden fan I enthusiastically agree with Marky and Nimmals on this. When I was in high school ~30 years ago I'd listen to that song before track races. Maiden was the first concert I went to back in 1991, saw them again last August with my son for the Legacy of the Beast tour. Just as good now as then. The Flight 666 concert (can watch it on Youtube) is my go-to material for treadmill workouts. Revelations gives me chills every time I hear it.  As does Wasted Years. And I could keep going, and going,........

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Iron Maiden wrote a song off of distance running? You learn something new everyday

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Iron Maiden are so boring.  My all time favourite rock band is The Wildhearts...nobody has come close to them.

This was their latest album and absolutely banging. 👍  https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Men-WILDHEARTS/dp/B07NRKG7T8 

CalBears

Iron Maiden are so boring.  My all time favourite rock band is The Wildhearts...nobody has come close to them.

This was their latest album and absolutely banging. 👍  https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Men-WILDHEARTS/dp/B07NRKG7T8 

Never heard of them. Diligently listened to every song on the album... Not my stuff - absense of melody makes it hard to listen to. Take Led Zeppelin, for example - they have melody. Take AC/DC - they have it too. Black Sabbath - the same... List is long (though I do not listened to that kind of stuff anymore - got tired, maybe only when getting nostalgic). Your guys might have a good lyrics, don't know but they call it music because there should be one. Of course, totally subjective...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Never heard of them. Diligently listened to every song on the album... Not my stuff - absense of melody makes it hard to listen to. Take Led Zeppelin, for example - they have melody. Take AC/DC - they have it too. Black Sabbath - the same... List is long (though I do not listened to that kind of stuff anymore - got tired, maybe only when getting nostalgic). Your guys might have a good lyrics, don't know but they call it music because there should be one. Of course, totally subjective...

Most of the band had drugs/alcohol issues in the early years and could’ve/should’ve been massive in the US. I’m amazed that you think there’s an absence of melody on that album (listen to it again). Their breakthrough album from 1993 is an absolute classic https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Vs-Wildhearts/dp/B0040U8XQO and listen to track 8 “My baby is a headfuck” .....the late and great Mick Ronson plays a brilliant guitar solo at the end!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Also, read the second sentence of their Wiki page...”The bands sound is a mixture of hard rock and melodic pop music” 👍

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wildhearts

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

My Week.  Long run was trash yesterday. The rest went pretty well.  We got out hot running in the low 6:40 range for miles over snow and ice on rolling hills.  Had to drop back to slower just to finish up and not completely burn out my legs.  Work was stressfull so I got ahead in miles cause i needed to burn off some stress and ended up feeling like junk on the long run.  I'll run 5-11 miles today (schedule called for 12 but i don't want to trash my body if i'm not feeling great).  It will be slow and easy with my dog.  Supposed to be 40 degrees F out today, so it will be practically July like weather! 

M 27-Jan 13 1:31:07 13 miles in 1 shot due to life (w/ 6x 100m strides during one of the runs) tread
                                0 0 It was supposed to be a 9 and 4 mile double
                            Tu 28-Jan 10 1:05:13 8 x 0.5mi @ 5:50 w/ 0.25mi recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d)
                            W 29-Jan 8.6 1:00:00 9 Easy (w/ 6x 100m strides during one of the runs)
                            Th 30-Jan 9 0:58:29 4mi tempo @ 6:05-6:10/mi (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) (made it a 5 mile temp)
                                4 0:28:07 4 mile lunch run cause I needed stress relief
                            F 31-Jan 8.03 0:56:00 Lunch treadmill
                                5.86 0:42:41 Lake Nokomis loop outside 5:30 PM
                            Sa 1-Feb 15.35 1:48:29 Collegeville lake loops. Felt good through 10 and trash the last 5. Ahead on miles and i think it just caught up with me. Also did not really have breakfast and was up super early with my son. Should have just waited to run in the afternoon.
                            Su 2-Feb 9   Easy

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

mikeymike

dpschumacher, Collegeville lake loops--so you ran part of this with Ben Schneider? Yeah that will get you out hot. Do you know Candice and Ben? They used to be active on these boards but no more, alas. Still friends of mine though--I saw them last August when I was in MSP for work. Ran with Candice and had dinner drinks with the two of them.

(I'd gladly take your week and long run right now.)

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey