2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

DavePNW

My week. 

Mon - 7.2 with Mona Fartlek

Tue - 12 MLR

Wed - 6 easy

Thu - 10 with 4 HMP

Fri - 6 easy

Sat - 16.3 LR

Sun - 5.4 easy

Total - 63 miles

Comments: 
    - I feel like I’m generally in a pretty good place this early in the cycle, 10 weeks out. 
    - My first time trying the Mona Fartlek. May keep it as a weekly thing - kind of a mini speed workout to supplement my more serious workout. 
    - Thurs was intended to be McMillan’s “steady state pace”, for which he gives a pretty big range. I targeted HMP, which is on the fast end of that range. And it was really where I’d like HMP to be (7:00-7:05) - a bit faster than current actual (7:10). All 4 miles were right in there. I’d normally have a tuneup HM planned; I don’t yet, but will probably pick something. 
    - My LRs are all now with a group. I seem to have hooked up with some folks who are generally a bit faster than me, so the pace ends up a bit faster than I’d do on my own. I’d probably be around 8:20; this week’s run was 8:08. It feels like I’m doing some work, but not really too hard. So I think probably not a bad thing. 

Dave

Marky: Great job on the 10k! With that strong negative splitting you should be feeling good about your fitness.

OMR: I enjoyed reading your race report. Man, feet hurting already at 10 miles? That looked like really rough terrain so I can see how it would take a toll, regardless of what shoes you are wearing.

Cinnamon: Good to see you here!

Dave: Nice week. I agree that the LRs with folks a bit faster is probably a good thing.

My week was a cutback week with a rust-buster race at the end. The race is a loop around a big lake (thus the odd distance), and it was perfect weather for it. Going in to this I thought holding sub 6:20 pace would be a good target, and I ended up right at 6:20. Definitely have a lot of work to get back in the shape I was pre-injury. But it was great to have the social aspect of racing; I'd like to race more often this year, both for the training effect but also because it's great to connect with other runners.

Mon: strength

Tues: 6 @ 8:44

Wed: 11 w/ 10 x 2 min on/2 min off

Thur: off

Fri: 10 @ 7:54

Sat: 6 @ 9:22 on trails

Sun: Lake Waramaug Polar Bear Run: 7.6 @ 6:20, plus wu/cd

total: 43.1 miles

2:52:16 (2018)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Dave- Nice week.  Some speed, some tempo, and a solid long run.  Nicely done.

JT-Way to shake those legs loose and get some turnover in the race.

Mark- Your racing is pumping me up for the race season.  Today was 46F outside during my easy run and 41F yesterday during my long run....makes be so glad to be off the treadmill for a couple of days.  Some colder weather is coming, but I think I should be able to have a couple of days outside a week for the next few weeks until spring is really here.

OMR- Haven't head a chance to look at your race yet, but will follow up shortly when i get to work where I'll have time because it is super slow on Sundays.

My week.  Pretty good on the whole.  Tuesday was a tough workout, especially toward the end, but little sleep was likely a driving factor in it. I finally gave up on getting any more sleep and hit the treadmill early.  JMAC, my Tuesday is your future.  Bwahahahahaha.

kramrunner- Doubles are fine as long as i get the longer one in during the morning.  that way I knock the double out during lunch which makes it for an easy day.  If i wait until i get home...it is much harder to get out of the door.

84 miles and change with striders and what not....

<colgroup><col width="60" /><col width="73" /><col width="82" /><col width="108" /><col width="461" /></colgroup>
        M 17-Feb 9 1:02:56 7:30 am tread (holiday)
            4 0:30:00 4 pm Run outside in beginning of snow
        Tu 18-Feb 10 1:05:42 2mi w/u & 2mi c/d w/ 6mi alternating 6:00/mi & 6:30/mi every 0.5mi (4:30 am start on about 5.5 hours of sleep due to little one waking up every hour...felt like trash during mile 7...looking at data heart rate basically did not drop during 6.5-7 and 7.5-8 (the two 6:30 sections))
        W 19-Feb 9 1:03:29 9 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides after (+.4)
        Th 20-Feb 11 1:12:42 7mi @ 6:15, 2mi w/u & 2mi c/d...Felt like this was a cake walk. Average HR 143
        F 21-Feb 8 0:56:40 4:50 am treadmill
            5 0:34:33 5 quick at 4:30 outside. 39° pefect
        Sa 22-Feb 16 1:48:50 (moderate effort) get in gear half marathon loop+3 miles 40 degrees out
        Su 23-Feb 11.2 1:20:23 11 mile river loop run 46 dgrees out

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

cinnamon girl

Welcome Dave - that's a very nice week with mix of stuff with good miles. I tried the Mona too and liked it - except for the 30 sec parts.

JT! Running and Racing?! Well that's just great to hear you're on your way back.  Now don't hurt yourself! (sorry - it's the mother in me) And I feel the same that I want to go to more races in 2020 - it's a nice alternate reality to escape to outside of the work environment.

One other big reason for absences is I struggle with feeling the ex is stalking. I'm a private person other than being here. Anyhow.

M: off
          T: 7.5 mi w/6 x 800 (2:54) with 2 min rec
          W: 10 mi (8:14)
          T: 6 mi (8:11)
          F: 7 mi w/2 x 2k (7:40) + 1600m (6:14) with 2 min rec
          S: 12 mi (7:52)
          S: 50 min (8:03)

So I got a respiratory virus early January and it took over a month to get over. At the same time I was busy being stressed, changing jobs and moving 1000 miles again. 4 addresses and 3 jobs in past 12 months fucking nearly took everything out of me. I'm good now.

Thread has had so many pages in 6 weeks! And I sense some tension . . . 

Cyberic

Marky_Mark: I have a question about the Nike 4% and Next%. I wear Kinvara 10s and Freedom ISO 2s because they're very roomy in the forefoot. I know you wear those too. Aren't the Nikes ultra narrow in the forefoot in comparison? How does that work for you?

Mikkey: Fury outworked, outsmarted and outboxed Wilder. Very dominent victory. No need for a rematch. Impressive performance.

Dave: I feel that I've had my best marathons when I was running my LRs at a pace on the faster end of easy.

Cinnamon: Tension? I guess that's a nice word for it. I feel like since the thread has changed name (from sub-3 to marathon training) some other people would be interested in participating, but the tension is not so welcoming. I might be wrong. It happens.

Cyberic

This week has started coming off a recovery week, and the decision of not commiting to a Spring marathon. Whatever I do in the spring will not be a goal race. That has helped. I don't feel rushed to ramp up the intensity, while keeping the mileage high.

Again, Monday to Friday I did my run commutes and that is the base of my running.

M - 2 runs - 10.75 miles with 8 x 8 sec hill sprints
              T - 3 runs - 14.6 miles with 3 x (2km @ 6:30 / 1:15 jog)
              W - 2 runs - 7.8 miles
              T - 2 runs - 9.1 miles
              F - 3 runs - 13.8 miles with 8 x (400m@6:00 / 200m @7:04)
              S - RD
              S- 16.6 @ 7:52

Total: 72.7

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Sorry about the A-hole ex making things suck.  Nice 800 workout on tuesday and 2k friday.  Hopefully things will settle down for a while again after all the moving.

Welcome Dave - that's a very nice week with mix of stuff with good miles. I tried the Mona too and liked it - except for the 30 sec parts.

JT! Running and Racing?! Well that's just great to hear you're on your way back.  Now don't hurt yourself! (sorry - it's the mother in me) And I feel the same that I want to go to more races in 2020 - it's a nice alternate reality to escape to outside of the work environment.

One other big reason for absences is I struggle with feeling the ex is stalking. I'm a private person other than being here. Anyhow.

M: off
                T: 7.5 mi w/6 x 800 (2:54) with 2 min rec
                W: 10 mi (8:14)
                T: 6 mi (8:11)
                F: 7 mi w/2 x 2k (7:40) + 1600m (6:14) with 2 min rec
                S: 12 mi (7:52)
                S: 50 min (8:03)

So I got a respiratory virus early January and it took over a month to get over. At the same time I was busy being stressed, changing jobs and moving 1000 miles again. 4 addresses and 3 jobs in past 12 months fucking nearly took everything out of me. I'm good now.

Thread has had so many pages in 6 weeks! And I sense some tension . . . 

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I am very jealous of the run commutes.  I used to be able to do this.  Great way to get the miles in.  My current job is too far (25 miles) and lacks a shower.  Womp Womp.  Still very impressed with the square track workout on Friday.

This week has started coming off a recovery week, and the decision of not commiting to a Spring marathon. Whatever I do in the spring will not be a goal race. That has helped. I don't feel rushed to ramp up the intensity, while keeping the mileage high.

Again, Monday to Friday I did my run commutes and that is the base of my running.

M - 2 runs - 10.75 miles with 8 x 8 sec hill sprints
                  T - 3 runs - 14.6 miles with 3 x (2km @ 6:30 / 1:15 jog)
                  W - 2 runs - 7.8 miles
                  T - 2 runs - 9.1 miles
                  F - 3 runs - 13.8 miles with 8 x (400m@6:00 / 200m @7:04)
                  S - RD
                  S- 16.6 @ 7:52

Total: 72.7

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Cyberic

I am very jealous of the run commutes.  I used to be able to do this.  Great way to get the miles in.  My current job is too far (25 miles) and lacks a shower.  Womp Womp.  Still very impressed with the square track workout on Friday.

Funny how I've only started run the run commutes like 2 years ago. I am very fortunate to be able to do them. I know. In addition to getting the volume in easily, I have no traffic, no flat tires (I did bike commute for a while before), really no stress. My morning commute is often the best part of my day. Not many people can say that.

About the track, there's nothing impressive about it, really. I actually like it. The surface is a hard rubber or something, it's incredibly cheap ($120 CDN for 1 year), close to work, and underused. Not perfect, but ....

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

120???? That is a steal!

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Cyberic

120???? That is a steal!

It is ridiculous, I know. So although I whine a little about it being square, I am a proud member since the day I started running. At 120 I don't have access to the weights, TMs, Elliptics and the likes, but it'd be like $30 more? 40? It's a city operated sports center, with mostly seniors attending during the day, including lunch. "Cool" people go to gyms with more high tech stuff, more mirrors, pop music. I prefer the cheap place Smile

In the middle there's a gymnasium with people playing badminton, or volleyball.

Marky_Mark_17

Marky_Mark: I have a question about the Nike 4% and Next%. I wear Kinvara 10s and Freedom ISO 2s because they're very roomy in the forefoot. I know you wear those too. Aren't the Nikes ultra narrow in the forefoot in comparison? How does that work for you?

Narrow-ish but I wouldn't say ultra narrow.  I used to run a 13 in the Kinvara 10 and Freedom ISO 2 since they don't stock 12.5's at any of the sites I use locally.  13 is a touch big for me, but the 12 was definitely too narrow.  Then I tried a 12.5 off Amazon in the Kinvara 10 and it's perfect.  I run 12.5's in the Next%, which are definitely snug, but actually perfect.  They feel a little snug around the forefoot when I first put them on but I've generally totally forgotten about it within a couple minutes and it's never been an issue when running or racing.

For reference when I used to run in ASICS and Mizuno I was always a 12, so the Next%'s definitely run narrow relative to some other brands.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

OMR

OMR! Enjoyed your report! Love the pics! It definitely does look like a beautiful place to run (other than all those rocks underfoot). I  can only imagine that you've left some thoughts out of your report though. Stuff that goes through one's head when they're out running for so long, alone, and in the dark. Or maybe it's trance, hypnosis like which is therapeutic too. Hope it was a good trip! Logistics and statistics are far from as interesting. Twin Cities - I love that course. And thank you for your service in Education. 

cinnamon:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.  What you said is probably true, about "the stuff that goes on in one's head."  I had posted something here the night before the run, about what I thought I would be thinking about for the day, but then decided maybe this wasn't the appropriate place to voice that.  (You can PM me if you want to know what the hell I'm talking about, haha.)  Regarding education, thanks for that as well.  I'm thinking about getting out, for a number of reasons.  Sorry to hear about the stalking fears, and having to move so much.

recap of the Black Canyon 100K is finished and can be found here.

Nice job!

kramrunner

*** Toledo, Week 14 ***
                                M   02/17        00 50 06        6.05  
                                T    02/18        01 01 13        7.17 
                                W  02/19          -- -- --            SRD 
                                Th 02/20         01 00 53        7.65 
                                F    02/21        01 02 30        7.70 
                                S    02/22        01 05 53        8.17 
                                S    02/23         01 15 12       9.31 
                                                                             ====
                                                                            46.06

Felt mostly good, decided to skip a longer run this week to allow a little extra healing. The ankle still improving and I'm hoping to be back above 50mi this week. I'm having to consciously stop my self from going faster at times, so fingers crossed.

Marky: "Rust buster", I'm jealous!

Dave: Solid week. I wouldn't worry about being a little faster on your long run. Just running with the group will take a couple of percent stress off and make it more similar to running slower on your own.

JT: Solid race. Good to see that your comeback is on track.

DPS: Nice week. The easy feeling 7miler on Thursday bodes well! Showers at work, lol. We were moving building a few years back with order $5m being spent on the refit and asked for input, I enquired about having showers/changing etc. I wasn't laughed at, but old greybeard gave me a look that said it all.

Cinnamon: Jeez, be safe. Hopefully that has your immune system well armed for when covid19 eventually make its way over here. Solid week with a nice mix of paces.

cyber: Nice week, especially with no particular reason to be running other than it being "fun", enjoy!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)