2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

+ 1 to this.  Completely agree.  As someone who followed the old RW forums specifically the sub 3 group (some would say lurked ) I took so much information and motivation from reading the weeklies.  I was pleased to find so many of the "old crew" here..... it motivated me to finally participate.   

I wish they had preserved the boards I use to write poetry about running and racing and I miss my poems.

especially My Mistress and Running Alone. Both beautiful "at least to me" running poems.

JMAC when ever there is a LI Beer run I will run it with you.  And even as you get ready for Boston I'm willing to come into the City and throw down a weekend run.

Darkwave - sorry to hear about the UC flare up. Hope it feels better. my advice skip the 800s let yourself get by on easy running for the race  then add strides each day but you have a coach but my way to deal with injury or aches is 2-3 days recovery or lazy becky fluffy training.

OMR I used to do a lot of strength training in the old days there was another guy from LI too who was my good friend he also went 2:38 and he was semi paralyzed in his shoulder from working so hard he did 200 pull-ups and sit-ups and all this stuff and then for a while could barely run or lift so I cut back as what happened to him scared me. They said too many of the same exercises cause weaknesses in other areas. He is back running but never the same he used to win the lift and runs strong little guy really great person but his injury scared me I had something similar happen to me last year so I cut back even more. I remember calling my GF balling my eyes out i thought I was paralyzed.  I could get out of bed, my athletes were on a group call reassuring me it was just a bad sleep position. I had a sore neck for two weeks I suspect it was caused by a chiro visit the night before but they said it couldn't have been. It went away before CIM 2018 I had to get acupuncture twice weekly for it to go away and it took two weeks.I still use Tabata 4 round circuits. Its the most bang for the bucks many people think it is crossfit but it is not. Heaviest weight 5-6 reps and continuously moving from station to station short break go again 4 times 2 circuits.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew I apologize for disrupting regular programming but this is important for the good of the thread.

I'm not sure how bringing up a "he said/she said" pissing match from the past is really important, or helpful, to marathon training. I already trained by hate for about 2 years and the thread got to listen/read my complete disgust for my work situation which didn't help anything. It actually ruined running for me. So I would really like to know how you're pissing match with cal is helpful because I know NOTHING about the past name calling or whatever it was. Ain't you two supposed to be focusing on the race in Boston 2021?

Cal I saw Max get passed at States and wondering what kind of badass this person was, then I realized Max wasn't at 100% after Dragon's Back so it wasn't even CLOSE to fair. He had a sub 24 in him. I know he did.

omr it is on Amazon Prime. It kind of follows the leaders from a previous race where the start and end at a castle. Just looking up the names of the people they focus on I realize they're all elites. It's like watching a documentary about Barkley involving John Kelly, Gary Robbins, or pretty much anyone who sets out on lap 4. Very impressive, shows the terrain a lot more than max could while running it, explains NOTHING of the 3 strikes, and makes me positive I'd rather make a movie about it than participate in it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Cybereric - what about comparing Leg spring stiffness at various speeds. I cant comment on your Power post so i am reaching out here.

As you know the stiffness of the muscles and tendons in your leg indicate how well you're recycling the energy applied to the ground in each stride.  So that any Increases in stiffness means an improvement in economy over time.

Hill sprints for instance forces some of tour most economical running so look at that on hill sprints vs on flats at varying speeds. Look at over time and see if it increases more. Also build into your analysis which type of runs make it higher/highest. That would be a good analysis.

Doing the same with Vertical oscillation at different speeds would be good to look at as well.  This way you get the sense of what you're doing when you're most economical and see how it can be brought to bear on your training.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Cyberic

Cybereric - what about comparing Leg spring stiffness at various speeds. I cant comment on your Power post so i am reaching out here.

As you know the stiffness of the muscles and tendons in your leg indicate how well you're recycling the energy applied to the ground in each stride.  So that any Increases in stiffness means an improvement in economy over time.

Hill sprints for instance forces some of tour most economical running so look at that on hill sprints vs on flats at varying speeds. Look at over time and see if it increases more. Also build into your analysis which type of runs make it higher/highest. That would be a good analysis.

Doing the same with Vertical oscillation at different speeds would be good to look at as well.  This way you get the sense of what you're doing when you're most economical and see how it can be brought to bear on your training.

About comparing Leg spring stiffness at various speeds, I have done that, and

What is obvious:

• generally speaking the faster I run, the higher the LSS number is. 
          • On a given day and given pace, LSS is pretty constant. I don't seem to tire much, or at least have not trained hard enough since I have the pod to notice anything.

What is odd:

• On different days, for a same given pace, the LSS is not always the same. I have not been able to find a pattern to predict it.

As you know, but probably not most of the people on this thread, I have started working on a piece of software (never to be released to the public) that extracts all data from Garmin .fit files, including power when it is paired to the watch. I pull all the data from Garmin/Stryd that way and put it all in a database. That part is done.

With that data, I have added some calculations to get ratios and stuff I thought could be interesting. I can add as many as I want, now that I have the raw data.

I'm now trying to extract the data in different ways (from the database directly, for now) to see patterns, or use the data so it "speaks" to me. I am at that point now. Vertical Oscillation, ground contact time, stride length, all those numbers against power, against form power percentage, when in a head wind, when not, and so on. Imagination and time are my limiting factors.

As of now I have not found anything worth sharing, and I have to admit, I haven't touched my project in about two weeks, as I'm not sure what else to look at, and it is time consuming to do so.

When I find something, IF I find something, I'll gladly share my findings, and maybe I'll even give my project some extra work so I can share some of the tools, but that last part is a big maybe.

pepperjack

pie man

I was over 100 on the waiting list at Cuyamaca when I put in and I was offered a spot.  They emailed at one point about interest and half the list disappeared after that.  I think a lot of people sign up because it sells out and then after several months they realize they aren't in shape for it and drop.  (I didn't take the spot when offered, it was bad timing).

Considering I didn't make the cutoff at Euchre Bar the following week it was probably a good decision on Cuyamaca.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cybereric - As someone who extensively uses Stryd, I'm quite interested in your little side project.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CalBears

It's me again, sorry guys, I know you had too much of me already but I just got a new piece of info I thought I would share with you 

These last few days were pretty tough on me. Not to mention I was sick (still coughing...) but I had this feeling I was unjustly attacked. Like you look at some things that thrown at you and think - no, it cannot be happening to me.

So... 'cinnamon girl' - the issue was resolved (at least for me - because I was in a lot of confusion re that) with a help of one of my old friend from RWOL times, he was an old RWOL member long before I joined there in 2011. Anyway, We had a great community at RWOL for many years, I was a very active part of sub-3 thread for many years, was a thread "leader/director/dictator" in 2014 or 2015, enjoyed the communication immensely there because the community was very strong and people were mostly of a great nature and very honest. So, in all those 6 years at RWOL I do not remember anybody would call my training stupid or idiotic, never, you could ask anybody from that era and they could confirm - I had nothing but encouragement all those years (no wonder I stayed that long there Smile )  that was a beauty of the thread, many people with different approaches looking to improve their training and results. That's why it was kind of shock to me when I was accused of being aggressive and rude to some, and, in particular, towards to 'cinnamon girl'. That confused me a lot because I had no a slightest recollection of any incident or conflict of that nature. And calling me aggressive? I might be too direct and that could sound like rudeness from my side, but purposedly aggressive? Sorry, that's not me.

So, this friend of mine from old RWOL times told me - don't worry man, she totally mistaking you for Nils. And that explained all to me. Who doesn't know, Nils was a guy from Germany who was totally crazy, in direct sense of that world, his training was absolutely spontaneous and unpredictable. He would go and try to run 3 times a day 10+ miles at sub 7 pace. Then he would recover for a week and then he would come up with something else not less crazy stuff. The guy's PR was something like 3:20 and he wanted run sub 2:40 (or even sub 2:30 I think) within a year. He was calling us non-believers and people who have no clue. He was extremely rude sometimes, sometimes reasonable, sometimes 'cute' but always some kind of crazy but entertaining to some degree. He basically had no structure to his training - every day he would come up with some new ideas re how to reach his goal. He ran some marathon in Europe and was something like 3:07 and he ran second half like way way slower than the first half (surprise!) or something like that (do not remember exactly) and he came back to the forums and said - guys, marathons are hard. We thought - finally, he might start training maybe after that. No, we were wrong - as soon as he recovered he started "his kind of training" all over again. He was constantly injured with that training and no wonder. But that was fun times nevertheless Smile

Anyway, my friend assured me 'cinnamon girl' was 'attacked' by Nils for her calling his training idiotic (that was main stumble - what was idiotic about my training? Anybody here can track my training starting from 2011 and if  they think that training was idiotic, they can say that openly, with no hard feelings from me, I swear (but they still will be asked - "why"? Smile . Sorry, but to me it was totally fine, maybe not like the way many people do it, but it worked for me - I was only injured maybe 3-4 times during all these 9 years and my mileage was around 3000 miles plus/minus a year for a long time). So, that totally cleared out the situation for me and I can say now loud - sorry 'cinnamon girl', but I has never attacked you in any way and I assure you, you never called my training idiotic or believe me I would remember that. That was confirmed with people who know the situation.

Sorry guys, all this wording above is more for newer people who don't know me - because I am not that person who attacks other people for no reason - or say differently, I would not attack anybody at all because it would be a waste of my life for no good cause - it's much easier just to ignore that person.. And even if somebody called my training idiotic, the first question I would ask that person - 'why'? Because I am pretty confident about my training and because it worked for me.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cyberic

Cybereric - As someone who extensively uses Stryd, I'm quite interested in your little side project.

I don't know if I'll find anything useful. Maybe with time, I'll be able to compare two workouts and see how this and this aspect have improved, and how those other aspects have deteriorated.

I had started a thread about training with power,  but the thread did not take the angle I was interested in, so I just let the thread go. I am interested in what metrics are useful, and how to interpret them to improve or to change my training. The thread was random Stryd talk, including the foot pod accuracy, training by zones or racing by % CP. Not that those aspects are not cool, but Steve Palladino and others already have those aspects well covered.

Anyway, as I said, if I find something I'll gladly share.

MTA: I just looked at that thread and see that you (and others) were participating on it. But by then I had lost interest.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well hopefully we can put this issue to bed and go back to discussing training, e.g. why Calbears running 9.99 miles for runs is idiotic training instead of running 10.00 

DarkWave (I like writing your name in many ways, including capitalizing the W): any tracking for the race? Same for Keen!

Nimmals - that sounds great. I need to figure out my post Boston schedule. Are you doing the Corporate Challenge this year? I saw you did it one year, I'm thinking of running it with my company. You would destroy me in it, but would be fun to catch up in the corral if we happen to be the same night.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Well hopefully we can put this issue to bed and go back to discussing training, e.g. why Calbears running 9.99 miles for runs is idiotic training instead of running 10.00  

Well, I believe it is the latest trend coming from New Zealand that make it fashionable to stop your run 0.01 - 0.03 from the whole number. That's what cool kids do, I heard. I am an old dude but I want to be in trend .

On a more serious node - JMac, I read stuff about people on this thread, like - "you are such a nice person...", "you are such a sweet guy...", etc... And I would like to believe it is true, but I have hard times with that. I know, we are all here to have peace and to avoid conflicts, but when stuff comes up, it's a manly  thing to say something that you don't believe is true. As I said, I had to dig deep last few days because of all the stress I experienced from forum communication and all blame and I found your message on page 28 of "2019 Sub 3 hour marathon age":

Me - Been sticking to the Calbears approach of just a lot of easy mileage.

The same page, a message from finbad

Another few days of Calbears training and I'll reassess.

Seriously, I was flattered - and I really appreciate in this case calling names . But at the same time it hit me - how all these smart, sweet and nice people do not hesitate to use what they think is good at some point of their training, but have no desire to just slightly come forward and say something about "idiotic" training they all didn't mind to use? I understand it would be stupid for me to say - 'oh, it's my type of training" because I certainly use what other thousands of runners already used, but you did use my nickname  (I definitely misused word "used" ). I totally understand this desire to keep peace and not to annoy much faster runners, but believe me, that would never happen at the old RWOL forum, somebody would always point out to a discrepancy and that's why I miss that forum so much.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal I just have learned to accept you’re not going to run an even 11.25 miles and I assume it’s to irritate people like me who can’t stand the nice even quarter mile increments. So I figured you were smiling big each time you ended a run like ‘have fun with THAT one guys.

I also will never forget meeting you and being disappointed you were about 6’4” tall and in your 40s.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Well, I believe it is the latest trend coming from New Zealand that make it fashionable to stop your run 0.01 - 0.03 from the whole number. That's what cool kids do, I heard. I am an old dude but I want to be in trend .

It takes quite a bit of mental arithmetic for us to get the km right so it ends up at like 8.99 miles, you know 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Nils - A funny, entertaining poster until he went too far (attacks on CalB and praising Nazis).  I think Mikkey met him in person.

CalB and Slammin - I hope you two can take a breather and get some perspective... 2 middle-aged dudes on opposite sides of the country who run for fun.  You have similar personalities in some ways (which is why you fight).  You are two of my favorite posters both for training and entertainment, so I'm hoping for DETENTE.   Also, I know the emotion behind posts has to do with how the rest of life is going, so I'm hoping you're both OK.

Me - 2nd place in peloton spin class today. 

CalBears

Brew - just checked the photo with you at CIM, maybe you are right and I am 5'4" but then you what, 4'9"? 

Marky - Piwi run the same distance all the time, so I believe it's only one time calculation 

rovatti - I was never accused/attacked like this without f%$#&ng reason in my life, so, you should understand some new stress I experienced. Though my wife says I always need some stress otherwise I become complacent.

OMR - watched high quality long video of Black Canyon from 2017, I believe. So... I didn't run a lot of trail races (9 I think?) but I can tell you based on that video - it's a pretty runnable course, just my perspective. Some spans are definitely less runnable than others but each of the races I ran, has those things. And it's really nice. Great video, btw - the grace the best runners have while running, omg - I can watch it forever - it is so much more beautiful than the way flat distance runners run - jmho, of course. But it is so beautiful...

Black Canyon 100K

OMR

calbears:  No, I ran it in 2017...that was the year from hell, when after the race, max disappeared for a while, and I found out later that he went to medical support, and he was so hypothermic that his temperature didn't register on a thermometer.  The video you linked is from 2018, the year max ran it again, and I was there watching (not running) because my knee was shot.  Based on that video, yes, it is pretty easily runnable, and I'm not going to get into an argument about the runability of the course, other than to say that a lot of that video is either early in the race or near aid stations.  There is no video of a camera operator running behind a runner down a 10 percent decline with loose rock, or a severely rutted jeep road, for obvious reasons...the camera operator wouldn't be able to hold their camera steady, or keep up.  There is no video of a camera operator running up a 15 percent incline over loose rock, for obvious reasons.  So let's just say it is easily runnable and put it to rest.  Regardless, it is a fact that I totally sucked at running on that terrain...but my ego feels better if the course was difficult.

Nimmals:  Yikes (regarding your strength training scare). Based on the video I found, most of the Tibata 4 looks familiar to me, and I don't really equate that to CrossFit (which is also unfamiliar to me, so it's not like I am an authority on any of it, haha).

Brew:  Oh, Amazon Prime.  And I don't think I'd want to be a participant either.

Cyberic:  That project sounds interesting.

Nils:  I remember lurking when Nils was present.  Agreed...that was entertaining, until it got ugly.

Jmac:  All of my runs stop at x.99, but I'm afraid to admit it because of all of the s*** you give calbears.