2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nils - A funny, entertaining poster until he went too far (attacks on CalB and praising Nazis).  I think Mikkey met him in person.

Ha! That brings back good memories of Cologne as that was a great city and destination race! (and I won €50 for 2nd place AG ).  I initially recognised Nils at the start line and introduced myself during the race and we then had a meal and a few drinks afterwards. He was an interesting guy and genuinely passionate about running! I feel bad for not getting his number and keeping in touch as I believe he went missing the following year with his family appealing for info on him.

Cal trains like an idiot?  A lot of his training reminds me of the Hadd approach https://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf  although I know he followed Pfitz half plan for his marathon PR.  Anyway, I’m still going to kick his butt at Boston 2021 whatever plan he uses...even if I still have a dodgy heel.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I was a mostly 1500/800 guy in college and was generally big compared to the rest of guys on the team. I ran cross which I was way better at than track. I was about 165 lbs in college. I'm 35 now so that was more than a decade ago. I fortunately never had an issue with elbows or being pushed around in a race. I could generally stick out an elbow and move them out 2 lanes cause I had 20-30 lbs on them.  This is me at 172 lbs this fall on our anniversary trip to Florida. About 1 week after my 1:00:52 Twin cities 10 miler. Growing up I played tennis, football, and basketball more than I ran. I only went to year round running in college.

Still about 2 pages behind on this thread

DPS:  How big are those burritos you are eating?? ;-)  I'm also about 6', but a small frame.  I felt extremely heavy at about 172, and ideal race weight is about 152.  I still have a good 10 pounds to get rid of.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Ha! That brings back good memories of Cologne as that was a great city and destination race! (and I won €50 for 2nd place AG ).  I initially recognised Nils at the start line and introduced myself during the race and we then had a meal and a few drinks afterwards. He was an interesting guy and genuinely passionate about running! I feel bad for not getting his number and keeping in touch as I believe he went missing the following year with his family appealing for info on him.

Nils was different but he was a great guy he communicated with me through FB messenger and I actually liked him. I do recall the Nazi comment uproar but I never saw what was actually posted just people saying it. He was banned several times always came back. His battles were not with Cinnamon but with Rachel. Nils was always given a bad rapp and did do lots of off kilter training, ran like  6 million dollar man a very bionic and animated form. I think he even went to Australia for a race that Rachel was in and so I know they had a tumultuous relationship. Nils was picked on by our own "mean girls" the guy who wants to be loved by all but feared by many. They had many fight because he tends to hang on words of people and go on and on in a bullying chiding teasing fashion and it frankly becomes rather annoying.

I like outliers like Nils and sport Jester and I am often nicer to people like that because they are misunderstood you don't bully people who have been bullied their whole life. Spectrum people make the world a lot more interesting and when you sit and talk with them you really get an insight into their thought process they are complex and amazing people with slightly different thought process. Nils always reached out to me and unlike some others he was never blocked by me. That was another great feature someone got on your nerves you blocked them you don't see or hear them. I think that would help here to filter out the nonsense.

Nils didn't have an ego to post how many people loved\hate him or thought he was a good guy. Nils just was always excited about running and his ideas of training and the females in the forum and often got into trouble that way.nIls would always write some software he think would help his training and sometimes he accidentally message you and its all computer code. His mind ran a million miles a minute. I hope he is OK or at the very least at peace. There was a lady Karen whose husband was a professional volleyball player in Europe and she stuck around for a long time and Nils was somewhat respectful of her and she had a very fast Paris marathon. He ran in the same race as her and she had no issues with Nils.

Now back to ego, I was constantly ridiculed by mean girls called names like huge little ego and lately curl hair lady man.

Does my ego or pride keep me from going forward. No I sent my cellphone and my email to discuss privately and was rebuffed.

If that's not ego that reinforces a false pride of injury and comes asking for pity saying they were stressed but spent many years chiding and bullying people but getting by because everyone says he's just rough around the edges. Hello that is a euphemism for rude and impolite and you been that way for far too long.

I was texted by the person who said lets pool together and pay for his hotel I am sure he spoke to the person as well but would not come back to say the delusional liar was correct because a community described as “the community was very strong and people were mostly of a great nature and very honest.” would do such a generous gesture for one of our own.

Rovatti what was your recollection of the gesture? Since we all seem to be reminiscing?

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dps I'm so small I could have ducked under your elbows. I'm all about that 160-165 lb life too. JMac will get here soon after his wife has a kid.

I'll take some donations for Boston 2021. Shoes, food, jackets, gloves, hotels, train ride, spectator thingys to do around town, advice, medal engraving, caffeine free maurten gels, race entry, rain and snow gear, etc.

EDIT: Cowtown marathon application downloaded.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

To this point, I'm considering boston 2021. Thoughts on lodging that won't break the bank and is somewhat convenient? Open to whatever, but don't say in general air bnb or something. I'm looking for "this hotel" or "this specific air bnb is a great apartment".

Thanks!

Yeah, everytime i got under about 162 my performance just fell off a cliff. I could not maintain milage or workouts under that weight. Literally had my coach tell me to go eat some burgers and pizza cause my body needs some fats to repair.

dps I'm so small I could have ducked under your elbows. I'm all about that 160-165 lb life too. JMac will get here soon after his wife has a kid.

I'll take some donations for Boston 2021. Shoes, food, jackets, gloves, hotels, train ride, spectator thingys to do around town, advice, medal engraving, caffeine free maurten gels, race entry, rain and snow gear, etc.

EDIT: Cowtown marathon application downloaded.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

I guess I will just stop responding to some delusional person because, at this point it is clear - he will never stop (what do you expect - he is delusional after all...). Just confirms the fact that a good runner doesn't always translate to a great personality. But I will stay, no worries - I can't take away from all of you the fun of enjoying watching my idiotic training .

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Have you guys been following the personal bottles Aid station challenges issues at upcoming Atlanta trials. If every runner that qualified gets to use the personal bottle service. How will that impact the pickups? think about that for a moment?  Dense qualification clusters from around 2:42-2:43? With the average qualifier being around 2:43... How do you spread the bottles around to stop bottle neck. Ear pieces in the volunteers ear  to stand and hand? I think this race will definitely make an impact on the standard going forward. I loved that the women were so motivated and I think they should leave the standard as is. If they must change what do you think it should be 2:42? 2:38? I think it should be a good standard to keep the carrot dangling to maintain the level of participation. The state of Women's marathoning is amazing right now.

Cant wait for the weekend.

Good luck Dark Wave

Good luck Keen

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

Cal trains like an idiot?  A lot of his training reminds me of the Hadd approach https://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf  although I know he followed Pfitz half plan for his marathon PR.  Anyway, I’m still going to kick his butt at Boston 2021 whatever plan he uses...even if I still have a dodgy heel.

Thanks for bringing it up again Mikkey - I didn't read that paper for years by now. I was a big fan of that approach - I believed in it right after I read it - ok, let's say I believed in it because it didn't require too much of a speed work at all up to some point further away. That's why I also continue to insist that HR data is an invaluable, people who do not use it as an additional cornerstone data of their training miss a very useful, even critical piece of valuable data. Another author which influenced me was Phil Maffetone - great stuff, worked for me - kind of nice to run 2:51 in Boston at the age of 51 without actually doing much of a speed workouts - just stupid idiotic 13+ miles runs every day week after week Smile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

AceHarris

Just stopping by / de-lurking to post some training. I miss the 3:20 thread and its relative tranquility.

Finally back above 50 MPW for the last couple weeks and getting some good quality sessions with progressing paces.

Good long run last weekend of 17 with last 2 miles a little below GMP. Avg 7:45-7:50 for the first 15 then 6:31 and 6:23 for the last two. Felt loose and in control, which is good.

Had a decent workout yesterday. 2 up, 2x200 with 200 jog, 3x3k with 800 float, 2 down for a total of 11.75 miles. 3ks started at 6:20ish and worked down to just under 6:00, felt a little harder than expected, mainly in the legs vs the lungs, but I feel good today.

Another quality session tomorrow (10x400, 30s rest) and 18 easy for long run on Saturday.

Some easier miles next week leading up to the half marathon race on 3/8. Hoping for a PR or at least some indication of a good goal for 4/20.

Keen: go get it this weekend!

Dwave: what race are you running? I've lost it in the midst of the busy thread.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Rovatti what was your recollection of the gesture? Since we all seem to be reminiscing?

I've never run Boston myself.  I suspect you're right about forumites offering to chip in for a hotel for Cal when he lost his job, but I don't recall volunteering.   I've been known to P.U.I. though, so don't hold me to it!!!

I agree about Nils being on the spectrum and having good qualities.  I definitely recall the pro-Nazi comments though, and you gotta draw a line...   A part of my job (working in the ER) is judging whether someone is responsible for their bad behavior (e.g. vulgar speech, racial slurs, threats, physical violence, etc).... are they too drunk, drug-addled, mentally ill, demented, head-injured, or sick to be held responsible?  or are they just being an asshole?   It's not easy, and there are many shades of gray.

OTQ standards - I hope they keep it as is.  The are a lot of runners that are too fast to get excited about BQ (or moosemug), but too slow to make the team, and OTQ is a prestigious goal for them.  Also, when there are a lot of people training with the hope of making the trials, there's a better chance that an unexpected star might emerge.  If the bottles situation gets too unruly with a large field, they could create some special bottles service just for the true contenders.

Running Problem

Problem Child

DPS I guess I should plan on a photo at Boston 2021. I'll be there. I'm the guy who looks like he hasn't ever done this before.

Ace I am glad you posted. Are you still using the coach, or was that put on hold after injury prevention became a priority? Any plans to go back if you're not currently using a coach?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - I stayed in an Airbnb a bit out of the way just because I came with the extended family (brother in law was from the area originally so we made it a bigger family trip). I'll be staying more downtown this time, so I can give you a review after. I already have a Boston 2021 qualifier with CIM so maybe I'll just come up there to hobby jog my way through the race and actually enjoy a marathon for once, rather than being so damn focused on time.

Brew - Boston 2018, which I didn't run but read a lot about, made me completely change the way I dress in the cold rain. It's made things so much more enjoyable this winter as I've had a ton of 40-45 degree and raining days which used to leave me near frostbitten, but now I'm just annoyed with it.

OTQ Standards - I'm fine with whatever they choose, but they should line up the standards more, by either slowing down the men or speeding up the women. I really like the idea of having something else to chase, even though I AM quitting for real, but if the OTQ for men was moved to something like 2:25, I may be more tempted to stick around, because I would definitely chase after that as I think I would have an outside chance if I really dedicated a serious block of 90+ MPW for 6 months. It's at least close enough whereas the 2:19:00 is never going to happen.

Nimmals - I'm signing up for the Queens 10K, it's on June 7: https://www.nyrr.org/races/nyrrqueens10k

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I've never run it either. My Dad is thinking about running too at 67 (he ran the 100th Boston). So I will be able to split costs which is the only way I could afford to go. He thinks he can go 3:50.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DavePNW

My comment about Boston - I ran it for the first time last year. It was a big deal for me just to qualify, I had to work at it for a few years. The trip is expensive AF, especially coming from the west coast since it’s near impossible to make it less than a 3-night stay. And the race itself was pretty brutal. But overall it was an amazing experience; I think everyone should have the opportunity to run it. For me it totally lived up to the hype. If you are a crazy obsessed runner and enjoy spending a weekend with other crazy obsessed runners from all over the country and the world, with a whole city pretty much focused on runners and the race, this is it. I may run it again at some point, but if not, I’m OK having done it once. Caveat: I have not run any of the other majors, so take that FWIW.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My comment about Boston - I ran it for the first time last year. It was a big deal for me just to qualify, I had to work at it for a few years. The trip is expensive AF, especially coming from the west coast since it’s near impossible to make it less than a 3-night stay. And the race itself was pretty brutal. But overall it was an amazing experience; I think everyone should have the opportunity to run it. For me it totally lived up to the hype. If you are a crazy obsessed runner and enjoy spending a weekend with other crazy obsessed runners from all over the country and the world, with a whole city pretty much focused on runners and the race, this is it. I may run it again at some point, but if not, I’m OK having done it once. Caveat: I have not run any of the other majors, so take that FWIW.

+several of your points. I have done NYC and Boston, and they were both fabulous, each with its own character. Note that I had good weather for both. I would be happy to do either again.  Only problem is that there are a lot of other interesting destinations out there as well.