2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Cyberic

Only problem is that there are a lot of other interesting destinations out there as well.

I'm not much of a traveler for racing, but I did run Boston. I really liked the experience even if I didn't like the course so much, and would do it again, bu probably won't because if I talk myself into travelling for a race again, why not try NYCM? Why not Paris? Rotterdam? CIM? ...

Boston was awesome but I'd probably try something else to broaden my horizons!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMAC I will do that one as well.

JMAC\Rovatti -  I agree on the trials damn I'd get excited about  2:25. I think there were only a couple  +40 for men all former pros. while the women +40 were all regular amateurs. I think Eric from Minnesota is the only regular guy over 40. I met him a few years ago at a post race BBQ  him and Kevin Castille the two of them had completely different body types but ripping fast nonetheless.. I was really surprised to see Eric made the cutoff and Castille didn't even try.

Weather are you using JD Cunningham??

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I plan on paying for Boston with plastic money. The jacket, hotel, bus tickets, new race outfit, etc. All going on the card because it's probably a "one and done until I can afford to  bring multiple people here" kind of thing. Graduation was fun once. I don't think I'd want to go back and have ANOTHER graduation. Family forum get together....okay maybe.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Cyberic

I plan on paying for Boston with plastic money. The jacket, hotel, bus tickets, new race outfit, etc. All going on the card because it's probably a "one and done until I can afford to  bring multiple people here" kind of thing. Graduation was fun once. I don't think I'd want to go back and have ANOTHER graduation. Family forum get together....okay maybe.

Maybe they should sell those face masks people (many Asians) wear to stifle virus propagation, but with the Boston marathon logo. They could sell them $20, as a limited editiin thing, and people would gladly buy them.

I should be a marketing guy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe they should sell those face masks people (many Asians) wear to stifle virus propagation, but with the Boston marathon logo. They could sell them $20, as a limited editiin thing, and people would gladly buy them.

Your fortune is at hand.

Running Problem

Problem Child

It would put all those people who ‘swam to Boston’ on a second level. Make them look like a lime...because corona.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

I don't want to distract all of you from thoughts related to running, but I am interested in your response to this article...because this is where I teach...

Running Problem

Problem Child

I stopped reading the article about students uncomfortable about racism when they said a teacher should not be teaching a class strictly based on the color of their skin. Somehow it is acceptable to say someone is unfit for a job based on the color of their skin (not the content of their heart) when you are a college student upset about the use of a racist word in a classroom exercise about racist words. 

I would says it’s about as great as saying someone can’t teach Female Jurisprudence because they’re a men after an exercise on gender equality.

I don't want to distract all of you from thoughts related to running, but I am interested in your response to this article...because this is where I teach...

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks for bringing it up again Mikkey - I didn't read that paper for years by now. I was a big fan of that approach - I believed in it right after I read it - ok, let's say I believed in it because it didn't require too much of a speed work at all up to some point further away. That's why I also continue to insist that HR data is an invaluable, people who do not use it as an additional cornerstone data of their training miss a very useful, even critical piece of valuable data. Another author which influenced me was Phil Maffetone - great stuff, worked for me - kind of nice to run 2:51 in Boston at the age of 51 without actually doing much of a speed workouts - just stupid idiotic 13+ miles runs every day week after week Smile.

I don’t think a lot of people would get or understand that approach unless they tried it for themselves and saw the end results. I don’t look at HR during runs, but I agree the data is a useful addition to gauge fitness. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

pepperjack

pie man

I stayed out in Framingham at a chain hotel with my mother and sister.  It was normal price, and as a bonus I got dropped off at a school and it was a 10 minute bus ride to start village.  We did one nice meal in the North End before the race (more of a problem because all the places were packed).  Otherwise the biggest expense was registration.  I didn't buy the silly jacket.

My most expensive marathon by far was Missoula.  All the direct flights in were something like 500-600, so I flew into Spokane and out of Kalispell (long story).  All the hotels were 150+ and that was for out of town like in places like Lolo.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My most expensive marathon by far was Missoula.

Was it worth it?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Practically the same thing is happening at OU right now.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Catching up:

I fervently believe that the Olympic trials should have an A and B standard.  The A standard is the Olympic standard for each gender, the B standard is 2:25/2:45.  Bottles only for A standard; B standard has to pay an entry fee and carry their own/rely on water/powerade/whatever.

Having a larger trials is incredibly important from a developmental/promotional standpoint.  I keep thinking about all the media coverage I've seen of the OTQers in my area.  And also about how the women's standard is much weaker, and how we are much deeper on the women's side.  Several of the women with the A standard this trials first qualified with the B standard (Des Linden, Samantha Roecker come to mind).

Boston - I think this race means different things to different people.  For me, the primary appeal is that it's only an hour flight away and a chance to return to an area I lived in for several years, and I think the course can be a fast one if you get the right year (BIG IF).

But I do get turned off by the spirit of the race - it's just too "self-celebratory" for me.  Have you ever been stuck in a line or on an airplane with "that guy"?  Yknow, the one wearing a jacket from one marathon, carrying a bag from another, and talking to everyone in a very loud voice about all the marathons he's run?

On marathon weekend, Boston gets overrun by people like that.  (In contrast to CIM, where Sacramento gets overrun by people who want to modestly run fast).  Boston would be a fantastic race if it wasn't for the people.

As for where to stay - I always just stay in the financial district, which is reasonably convenient and unreasonably expensive, but not insanely convenient and crazy expensive.

OMR - I read the article, and have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I do believe that sometimes people take risks and make mistakes when teaching, and there should be opportunities to reflect and grow, not just response.  OTOH, it seems like the incident on the chalkboard is the tip of a much deeper deeper issue there, which is probably why it is getting the reaction that it is.

Also, checking in.  Hamstrings are much improved - did 3x800 yesterday and they held up well for that.  I'm not worried about them for Sunday.  Also, since people were commenting, the UC should not be a factor in this race - it just made the second week fo taper a bit unpleasant.

I am bib 105 - apparently there is a tracking app here.https://flatoutevents.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2bbb77cd244f59d0f541e821c&id=113a3e9247&e=44725670b8

Weather is looking good, if not as perfect as a few days before.  We'll start at 28F and end at 36F, which will likely make this a tights race for me, especially given the hamstring issues.  (I've worn both tights and shorts for this cycle, and will be comfortable in tights up to 40 degrees F).  Unfortunately, our big tailwind has shifted, and now will start as a mild tailwind and end as a mild headwind.  Could be worse.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I guess I will just stop responding to some delusional person because, at this point it is clear - he will never stop (what do you expect - he is delusional after all...). Just confirms the fact that a good runner doesn't always translate to a great personality. But I will stay, no worries - I can't take away from all of you the fun of enjoying watching my idiotic training .

King Bear I won't since you won't stop calling me names.

so I'm hoping for DETENTE.   Also, I know the emotion behind posts has to do with how the rest of life is going, so I'm hoping you're both OK.

Me - 2nd place in peloton spin class today. 

Rovatti, Its all good. I forgot you work at NYC's Crazy Hospital.  I hope you're spotting signs of a sociopath as the old hen keeps prattling on.

• Accepts no responsibility for their actions\behaviors.
                              • Always perceives themselves as the good guy or the victim.
                              • Thinks everyone is watching them
                              • Thinks that everyone should love them or loves them.
                              • Has an alter ego Runners Whirled handle

(Only someone who think they were the best thing since slice bread on a long dead forum would use a similarly named handle to attack their enemies.)

Reminds me of King Lear, wants people to speak up and profess their love and adoration for King Bear.  "Its my forum the people love me most."  Everyone names their workouts after me. Geez, the sense of entitlement with this one is bewildering no wonder this is stressful for him he thinks the world of himself and that the  whole site revolves around him. Somehow perceives me as a threat and constantly tries to belittle me with names.  I get fed up, respond in kind he runs around screaming murder a delusional liar guy with corrupt moral values is after me.  The size of his ego. Meanwhile I'm getting text messages  to ignore him he has always been miserable and angry that's just how he is.  Isn't it sign he needs professional help.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

pepperjack

pie man

Was it worth it?

I got a Sub 4 in Monanta, which was my main goal.  104 degrees at the expo, though, so not great overall.

11:11 3,000 (recent)