2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

. I realized this during my run yesterday: there's a good chance the Boston Marathon gets cancelled. If you look at how governments are reacting to this, they do not want any sort of mass event to go on. I think there's probably less of a concern for the runners as there is for the hundreds of thousands of spectators that line the course in close quarters. I would also think London has a possibility of getting cancelled as well depending on how this thing spreads through Europe. Smaller marathons will probably be spared because of the lack of crowds and also RDs that aren't terrified of the outcome, so I'm going to have to start at least looking for Plan Bs in case it does get cancelled. We obviously saw it with the Tokyo marathon, so it's not some far fetched possibility.

Additionally, this just convinces me even more I need to run for the next week before my mini taper and go nab a PR at NYC. If Boston isn't run, I don't want to waste a relatively decent cycle by not getting a PR anywhere.

You're REALLY trying to find an excuse for going for the Moose Mug aren't you? Just pick a different race at this point with the injury and serious risk of sickness there isn't a reason to do Boston. The course isn't even a PR course, and the weather is unpredictable. If you're going for the Moose Mug the course should be a consideration especially since you might not actually go for it until you're older just due to time constraints coming up.

As I said in the Boston 2020 thread...World War 1 is the only time Boston was canceled. I don't think Ko-ROW-nuh virus is bigger than World War One. It won't get canceled. People MIGHT not show up which would piss me off. The Olympic trials went on which means the Olympics aren't worried about the virus. You think Boston is a bigger deal than the Olympics? I don't. I just wish BAA would have a wait list for people who were so close to getting in like lots of ultra marathons so people  could still run it. I'd be at Boston 2020 if I'd qualified. Call me stupid/foolish/ignorant/crazy. Maybe run the race wearing a facemask that people wear thinking it blocks the virus, but those giant openings to the left and right of their nose let in unfiltered air thereby negating the protection of a face mask so they're pointless so you don't get sick.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A few shoutouts as I catch up

Ooof - Weather, I'm really sorry about the misdirection/confusion - that sucks.

Nimmals - tough race, but what a story.

Boston cancelling. I do think there's a non-zero risk of it being cancelled. However, I also think that the Coronavirus may be so prevalet by that point that there's no more point to limiting public events. Put another way...I'd be more worried about Boston if it was closer.

And thanks for the support. To make it clear, this was not a case of me seeing the metaphorical check engine light and pulling over. This was a (metaphorical) tire going fwomp/fwomp/fwomp and starting to spit shreds of rubber. I wasn't yet one legged, but it was clear that 26 miles was not happening. I am pretty sore this morning. Not as much as if I had run a full marathon. But it definitely doesn't fell like I ran 8K at early marathon effort.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

If you're going for the Moose Mug the course should be a consideration especially since you might not actually go for it until you're older just due to time constraints coming up.

Meh, I mean I want the MM but I won't be devastated if I don't get it. I mean, it IS significantly easier to get in your late 30's and early 40's (looks like 40 is the easiest age, with it not getting harder than 32 years old until I'm 50).

I agree that Boston this month would be getting cancelled. My fear is that the BAA pulls the trigger to early in order to give people "time" to find a new race and then we discover there was no reason to cancel it.

Also maybe coronavirus would be good for me. Force me to take some down time for this injury.

(this is why runners are crazy)

DW - that makes sense, and the only time I've been that sore after a mediocre effort is with terrible cramping. You're a good sport in general so I imagine you will take this well.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac Why would you fear a race telling participants the race they've signed up for won't happen too early? Personally I'd rather her "hey we are planning on it not happening so if you're goal is to run the Boston Marathon it might happen, and if you're just looking for a spring race you might want to start planning on a backup" because the flip side is they wait until April to say "yeah we're canceling this year's race. Sorry. No Refunds." Other races will be sold out because people like darkwave ALWAYS have a backup race. Big Sur is a week later and for a lot of people it could be closer and cheaper. Same with Eugene, New Jersey, and Glass City. Even Revel Mt. Charleston is the beginning of April and people could run it if they wanted to fly across the country.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounds like I'm being a dick. Kind of having a shit day at work and I have an interview for a job I really want tomorrow. Third time I've interviewed for a position with this office/company/department doing "lab stuff" since it's what I went to college for (yeah that's right I'm kind of educated) and WAY more interesting than my current job.

Heck...OKLAHOMA CITY MARATHON is in April....but I won't be there unfortunately.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Brew:  Good luck tomorrow.  I'm going to hope that you feel as though you've tapered properly for the interview.  Don't forget to take a gel 15 minutes prior. (FYI, gel = shot of bourbon.)

cal:  Recovering from Black Canyon, heading into a speed cycle starting today.  I'm on Strava, but I don't know peoples' "real names."

DW: Sorry how things turned out but you definitely did the right thing. That's what I should have done last fall; instead I forced through it and paid for it with 10 weeks recovering from an f'd up hip.

Weather: Wow, what a race! You did break 75 for 13.1 as your watch shows, and I'm sure you'll get it more officially next time around. Certainly a good story you have from that experience!

Cal: Nice mileage and also precision how you stopped most runs at 99/100ths; was that just to make Piwi happy?

Nimmals: Great job to gut it out to the end. Those types of races are not the end result you want but there is some satisfaction for not giving up.

Brew: Good luck on the job interview.

Me: I decided to forego any spring marathon. Just don't feel like I have enough time to get in the shape I want to be in 7-8 weeks. So I'll focus a bit more on speed & strength and get into marathon training in the summer. Brew, you can put me down for the Hartford marathon, October 10, same goal of sub 2:50.

2:52:16 (2018)

Cyberic

Lots of stuff going on here, don't have time to comment on everybody's stuff, but I read it.

I almost bailed on posting my last week, as I'm usually a super consistent runner, and I've been anything but consistent ever since I started posting here.

Again, run commute every day.

Monday, did hill sprints on my way back. Made a detour to find a higher grade hill, and it made a good difference. It made it a more muscular mini-workout. Could feel it in my glutes the next day

Tuesday at lunch, got SS during my 3rd and last 2K rep. I've run through those before and actually kind of injure myself in the sense that if I do hold the pace with SS, then I'm a few days that I get SS as soon as I start pushing. So I just bailed on the workout.

Did no workout for the rest of the week. No motivation.

Took a RD Saturday.

Sunday, a 16mile LR with 5 miles at around 7:30 pace at the end.

60 miles for the week.

Today it rained like a mofo, with the ice on the ground, not a great combination. We're going to get bad weather all week. I'm really glad I decided against a Spring marathon, as I'd be stressing over the bad weather right now. Like JT, I'm trying to work on some strength right now, and when weather permits, speed work.

I might wait until I actually start marathon training for real before I start posting my training again. That was the plan when I started posting, but now that I've taken the decision not to race...

Running Problem

Problem Child

omr do you think one is enough? I was considering a few caffeine pills like my journey before States.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Brew:  Well, if you are Clive, then if I remember correctly, you need to take 27 shots over the course of the interview.

Marky_Mark_17

I'm a bit behind on this thread but Weather, bummer on the course error particularly given your current form and pace on the course.

It happened to me in a HM in early 2018.  Followed the guy ahead of me when he took a wrong turn partway through a beach section, even though I thought he might be going the wrong way (there was absolutely no reason to take a turn there!).  I was luckier than you in the sense it didn't make any difference to anything in the end, I was way off PR pace and just running for place as the run was part of a series (which the error also didn't impact).  But I totally beat myself up about it just because I knew it could've made a big difference.  I have been super-thorough reviewing course maps ever since when I'm running a new race or one where there have been course changes - this has saved me from at least two further mistakes!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

OMR fat kid does love his snacks. Something max must have missed out on during his journey with me.

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

It happened to me in a HM in early 2018.  Followed the guy ahead of me when he took a wrong turn partway through a beach section, even though I thought he might be going the wrong way (there was absolutely no reason to take a turn there!).  I was luckier than you in the sense it didn't make any difference to anything in the end, I was way off PR pace and just running for place as the run was part of a series (which the error also didn't impact).  But I totally beat myself up about it just because I knew it could've made a big difference.  I have been super-thorough reviewing course maps ever since when I'm running a new race or one where there have been course changes - this has saved me from at least two further mistakes!

I did this exact thing once in a 5k. Which was totally the fault of me, for following the guy. I realized it fairly quickly, and while turning around to get back on course, yelled “wrong way” to the guy ahead of me. Even though only a short distance, for a 5k you know your day is shot. At least I did get the opportunity to pass a guy twice, which was fun. But it didn’t matter for my time because it turned out the course was short anyway - even with my little bit extra, my watch had it at 3.0 miles. It was a very small, hand-timed community race, so you get what you get. 

I’m still terrible about studying course maps in advance. I assume it’s their job to keep you on course. I can’t remember any other wrong turns, but a couple close calls late in marathons stick in my head. One that was at mile 20-something of the race that ended up finally getting me into Boston. I could not see any sign and no one else was near me. I finally spotted a pretty inconspicuous sign at the last moment. I knew I was having a great day, so if I’d blown that it would have been awful.

Dave

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

It's unfortunate when you get misdirected or follow someone the wrong way. What about when only you know the course and you follow others to not look like you're cutting? That happened to me, the whole race went longer because I chose to follow two guys in a 5K in 2017 they followed the cop car.  I knew the course and I felt if I had run correctly they would have said I cut so I followed everyone else. The winner gets a 1 Yr gym membership to my gym. I won in the end and wanted no disputes.

In 2018 a kid cut course ran across a front yard said it was a tangent. I told him that's a DQ. but I didn't rat on him.

2017 my GF ran the same longer route everyone did. My GF ran 18:10 got 17:49 on the watch. She was peeved at me said I denied her a PR. I was like you know the course too... she was like but,, I said exactly we follow the crowd to not look like cheating, The following April she went 17:35 at a legit BAA 5k.

Weather I hope you don't have too long to wait to set that PR right.

Brew Good Luck in your interview. Hope you knew not to wear a Slim fit dress shirts. Nowadays the elbows rip when you stroke you chin to look intelligent as you answer a difficult question. For heavens sake don't take off that jacket they make you sweat profusely with the bullshit stretchy blend.

Make you miss the billowy 100% cotton when it was so loose our pointy elbows never ruined the shirts. I wonder if this is only among runners or does the rest of the population have the ripping elbows too? Maybe its only Me???

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

weatherboy80

Thanks guys for the well wishes!  Race director said a person was supposed to be there directing lead runners (behind the leader), but that person was likely at the next intersection helping someone else out.  So just sounds like I had bad luck!  At the end of the day I can at least say I ran my fastest ever HM split to date (1:14:23) inside of my 2nd fastest "official" HM   As for my next HM PR attempt might not be until May as I'd like to recover and knock out a few shorter PRs first.  Plus it is about to get much warmer here as well. Trick will be then at least maintaining or building some fitness for that event in late May.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Gate River is this weekend that's another PR. Just take out your angst on that.

It's a national event in your neck of the woods. Time to clean up when the OTQers are exhausted.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.