2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

DavePNW

I went to the track today and was running (not walking or jogging) in lane 3. Some official-like looking guy was pointing at me and then pointing to the outer lanes. So I moved to the outer lanes while he seemed to not bother this guy walking in lane 1. WTF is that all about?

What does an “official-like looking guy” look like? Maybe there is a reasonable explanation, although I have no idea what it could be.

Dave

DavePNW

California International Marathon 2020 registration is open.

first 1,000 people get a discount.

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/registration/

$120 starting at 9am Sacramento, CA time.

Oh man that’s tempting. CIM is my target fall race, although I can never plan this far out. Do they usually sell out, and if so, how far in advance?

Dave

weatherboy80

Hmm it says March 9 for registration?  Am I missing something?  And yes I am doing this race assuming the virus doesn't wipe us all out first.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

DavePNW

2020 Marathon Registration:
          • “Re-Run” Registration Special: $99 (limited to 1000 registrants)
          • “Re-Run Extended” Registration Special: $109 (limited to registrants 1001-2000)
          • First 1,000 Registrants: March 9 — $119 (open at 9am PDT)
          • Early Registration: 1001st registrant through April 29 – $135
          • Standard Registration: April 30 through June 12 – $149
          • Final Registration: June 13 until sold out – $165
          • Late Entries: $275 (limited availability)

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hmm it says March 9 for registration?  Am I missing something?  And yes I am doing this race assuming the virus doesn't wipe us all out first.

You're missing NOTHING. I'm missing today isn't the date....stupid me. Not my week.

Dave yeah they will sell out of the 1,000 spots. If it is a target race I'd jump on the current price. I told a friend about the re-run special and he didn't sign up. I think he will sign up this time. LAST YEAR a DIFFERENT friend said how it's not too expensive until he saw every spot sold out except the charity spots. All of a sudden he wasn't so interested in signing up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Oh man that’s tempting. CIM is my target fall race, although I can never plan this far out. Do they usually sell out, and if so, how far in advance?

I think last year they were sold out at the end of September or early October? But I definitely remember couple of years when they were sold out in August. I wouldn’t worry before August. But of course I personally already registered in December 😜

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Speed Surplus

OK well now this race has been officially postponed. So you’re off the hook.

Yep, just saw that. Amazing timing, as I ended up getting sick (not coronavirus) from my younger son yesterday. I think it's norovirus... 

Hoping it gets rescheduled for a time that plays well with my June target race.

Brew: "SC you just HAD to throw out the 1:28:12 PR as if it's something I should aim for, didn't you? Good luck this weekend. Looks like you've been coming back kind of okay this year. I assume the 3/15 is a St. Patricks themed event. Sub 19 5K attempt?"

Well, I'm thinking the St. Pat's race will be cancelled or postponed now. If it's not, I may target sub 19 since I'm no longer racing a half this weekend. You've for sure got sub-88 in the bag when you decide to race a half! You ran 89 in the first half of a marathon!

RE: Strava badges. It's just another way of gamifying running. I usually sign up a lot of them, but I don't pay too much attention to them either.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

:O whoa!

Interestingly - the organizers did not proactively cancel the race; the city pulled their permits.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

DavePNW

Yep, just saw that. Amazing timing, as I ended up getting sick (not coronavirus) from my younger son yesterday. I think it's norovirus... 

Hoping it gets rescheduled for a time that plays well with my June target race.

I do like that they are “postponing” rather than just cancelling. Presumably, anyway - you can never know for sure if they will actually end up rescheduling. And also could work for me - my marathon is 5/3, so I’d like a tuneup half in late March/early April. This weekend was clearly too early in the cycle, if they could just push a few weeks it’d be perfect. IDK if they would/could really turn it around that quickly though. I’ve got a different half penciled in for 3/29, but I’d rather do LSH.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

You've for sure got sub-88 in the bag when you decide to race a half! You ran 89 in the first half of a marathon!

Hopefully this is another one of those races like CIM where I drastically underestimate my abilities and everyone else acts surprised.

Good luck on sub 19. I know it's been a long time goal.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

I think last year they were sold out at the end of September or early October? But I definitely remember couple of years when they were sold out in August. I wouldn’t worry before August. But of course I personally already registered in December 😜

I wonder if they will sell out earlier this year, because of...well, you know..."the virus."  If other races start getting cancelled, people may start filling late-year races earlier than usual?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I wonder if they will sell out earlier this year, because of...well, you know..."the virus."  If other races start getting cancelled, people may start filling late-year races earlier than usual?

Na. It's such a joke of a marathon with how easy it is to PR there, plus no one is trying to get into the Olympics so there isn't a point showing up unless you want an easy course with ideal weather and no competition. Boston is MUCH harder with it's unpredictable weather due to not being in California.

EDIT: As long as Burning Man doesn't get canceled due to Corona Virus I'm not worried about it. 80,000 people need to be able to go into the desert to be themselves.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Na. It's such a joke of a marathon with how easy it is to PR there, plus no one is trying to get into the Olympics so there isn't a point showing up unless you want an easy course with ideal weather and no competition. Boston is MUCH harder with it's unpredictable weather due to not being in California.

I agree - CIM has no competition, only slackers and baby boomers come here. Just for an example - I ran 2:51:36 in Boston 2016 and also ran similar time (2:51:17) at CIM in 2014. Boston has ~35,000 runners, CIM - ~7,000. I was placed 12th AG in Boston and 15th AG at CIM. Yeah, it's a joke of a course, I guess that's why such placements 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I agree - CIM has no competition, only slackers and baby boomers come here. Just for an example - I ran 2:51:36 in Boston 2016 and also ran similar time (2:51:17) at CIM in 2014. Boston has ~35,000 runners, CIM - ~7,000. I was placed 12th AG in Boston and 15th AG at CIM. Yeah, it's a joke of a course, I guess that's why such placements 

I think you missed the smartest in my comments.

there were a lot of people talking shit about CIM after this years results. They say stuff about how easy it is due to being downhill and it’s easier than Boston because Boston has hills at the end or something. Even though Boston drops more. Maybe we will get lucky and corona viruses will cancel the race this year and make 2021 even more crowded in Mass.

2:51? Impressive.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We will all be self-isolating by the end of the year and running virtual races on our treadmills. 😷

ETA - Paris marathon postponed https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/paris-marathon-postponed-due-coronavirus-073700494.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)