2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

The '08 cup was Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Zetterburg, and, of course, the Mule.

And Kronwall!

Plus one quite talented Russian, too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

And Kronwall!

Plus one quite talented Russian, too.

He was not JUST talented - he was a LEGEND! 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

He was not JUST talented - he was a LEGEND! 

I think that was just a language thing with me alluding to him rather than saying the very obvious.  He was most certainly a legend.  Scored goals that no other player in the NHL possibly could.

When he left after Lidstrom retired, that was pretty much the end of that great Detroit team.  No wonder Zetterberg's back gave out on him a few seasons later given how much he had to carry with those two gone.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm glad this has turned into a hockey thread, because I doubt any marathon with more than 100 people is going to be run in the US at least through Memorial Day, so we might as well talk about something else.

I had NJ as a backup, but that's going to get cancelled too. There is absolutely no way I'm training for a marathon in the 2nd weekend of September. I know Boston is doing their best with the situation, but that is a dangerous situation.

I did, however, sign up for Grandma's last night. I'd say that's 50/50.

So how is everyone else handling training? I'm at a bit of a loss. I assume it doesn't make sense to keep training like NJ may happen, and instead, shut it down and pretend Grandma's is. NJ probably will announce something within the next week just to put the nail in the coffin. Anyway, all of this means I shouldn't be doing huge workouts at this point as if I'm trying to peak for a race that's going to occur soon, even though I do have a weird pleasure of going out and doing MP workouts. I had 14@MP planned for tomorrow and I still sort of want to do it...

The other thing I'm wondering is if I should try to capitalize on this fitness at this point and try a half marathon time trial. I don't know exactly how that would work, but based on previous races, I would think a GPS reading of 13.15 miles would sufficiently qualify as have being sure you ran the correct distance. Of course, I know it's SO difficult to run your potential in a time trial, but what other option do all of us have at this point? Anybody ever do a time trial of any distance longer than a 10K?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm glad this has turned into a hockey thread, because I doubt any marathon with more than 100 people is going to be run in the US at least through Memorial Day, so we might as well talk about something else.

I had NJ as a backup, but that's going to get cancelled too. There is absolutely no way I'm training for a marathon in the 2nd weekend of September. I know Boston is doing their best with the situation, but that is a dangerous situation.

I did, however, sign up for Grandma's last night. I'd say that's 50/50.

So how is everyone else handling training? I'm at a bit of a loss. I assume it doesn't make sense to keep training like NJ may happen, and instead, shut it down and pretend Grandma's is. NJ probably will announce something within the next week just to put the nail in the coffin. Anyway, all of this means I shouldn't be doing huge workouts at this point as if I'm trying to peak for a race that's going to occur soon, even though I do have a weird pleasure of going out and doing MP workouts. I had 14@MP planned for tomorrow and I still sort of want to do it...

The other thing I'm wondering is if I should try to capitalize on this fitness at this point and try a half marathon time trial. I don't know exactly how that would work, but based on previous races, I would think a GPS reading of 13.15 miles would sufficiently qualify as have being sure you ran the correct distance. Of course, I know it's SO difficult to run your potential in a time trial, but what other option do all of us have at this point? Anybody ever do a time trial of any distance longer than a 10K?

Keen was looking into this. Could be fun. Are you going  for the moose mug still? Go do the 14. You have a really big goal and I trained from Chicago to CIM to reach mine. If it's going to interfere with "dad duties" then you'll have to pick one. The first three months of dad life can feel overwhelming. Just buy extra bottles so you don't have to clean them every single day. It is convenient to have enough for three days and use the dishwasher.

I'm kind of pissed my race(s) were canceled so I'm just going to switch to Ultramarathons. At least trail runners aren't afraid of pooping without toilet paper. Since my two goal races were canceled I'm not even going to go for another race. No point. I'm going to make running fun again. Talk about hockey, not stress over speed, and go back to when it helped me relax without focusing on how I MUST make a specific workout pace in order to be successful. Instead of living in a constant state of "when should I taper" I'm just going to run like my friends. Taper the week OF the race if at all. Trail runs aren't ever a race for me. I sometimes set a goal time and I am aware they can go out the window. Since every race is pretty much canceled I might as well switch over to the ultra runner groups. I'm sure they're goin to LOVE the influx of road runners asking about training now that this big major road races are canceled or postponed.

September for boston? Sounds great because I'm hoping it makes getting into 2021 easier. I bet they even scheduled it to be during the application period for 2021.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac  - if you are going to do Grandma's, you need to get housing now.  Housing is very difficult there.  I recommend the UMD dorms, but they are already sold out with a waitlist

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

IDK what to do about training either. So far full steam ahead, but will need to back off at some point, presuming my race gets cancelled. It’s not till 5/3 - I assume it will be, but it’s far enough out that it will be a long time before they tell us.

Regarding time trial - no but my running group sort of did that last weekend, the day of a HM a lot of them planned to run which was cancelled at the last minute. They mapped out a 13.1 mile route that was mostly on limited-access trail, so minimal street crossings. That might be the toughest part, to find a route where you don’t have to stop too much.  I feel the same way about wanting a fitness test, but IDK if I would do it. I’d be shooting for PR; it would suck a little to get it and not be able to call it that. 

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

They just cancelled Modesto marathon I was going to run on March 29th and surprise you guys with sub 2:40 performance. Sub 2:40 would be possible due to rare combination of three things - Moon and Sun positions relative to my Zodiac sign. Darn....  Now I have to do research for the next such Zodiac-Sun-Moon scenario...

Btw, in California any event with more than 250 people is banned. Means - no running, road or trail until the ban is lifted or changed.

CalBears

London marathon postponed until October. (possibly the 4th)

That's beyond Boston application window!

weatherboy80

So with all this crap going on I'm not going to be able to find a HM through May now  Can my 13.5 mile with accidental off-course run 2 weeks ago now count as a HM time trial?  My GPS estimated a 1:14:22 HM based on my splits so I imagine I'm still well under 75 minutes based on a course of 13.15-2 miles long.  Just worried that I might never be at this fitness level again - who knows right!  Of course I 'll try to right that in the next few years, but I'll be turning 40 soon.  I know first world problems here with everything else happening Wink  Might also have to try out a 5K time trial in about a week since my local one also got cancelled.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

London marathon postponed until October. (possibly the 4th)

I wonder how all this works for elites who get appearance money.    Hard to do Olympics or Berlin and London now.

re: training plans.  My decisions are relatively easy, since I had the SI issue pop up.  I'm rehabbing that (which is going well), and then going into a strength/gait phase like I did last summer.  Some aerobic work, a lot of hills of different shapes and sizes, a lot of lifting at the gym (assuming the gym stays open)

Then in late April/early May I'll shift into Grandma's training.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

My half was rescheduled for 4/19, but I doubt that it's actually going to happen on that date.

Someone around here who was signed up for the same race did a supported time trial around Green Lake (and ran 1:09). I can't imagine dodging crowds on that path at that speed Big grin

My marathon isn't until June, but even that's looking moderately dicey. For now, I'm still following my training plan and assuming it's happening.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think one thing to remember is that training compounds, and a completed training cycle is not a waste, even if no race at the end of it.  So assuming no races until fall (which I think is inaccurate), there's still some benefit of going through a cycle just to climb up a stair step.

Of course, there's also benefit in taking this time to really focus on one's running weaknesses, or start that strengthtraining program you always meant to.

Or, alternately, to step back and spend the time with others that you don't when training.

Lots of productive things to do.

I do really feel for swimmers.  Unless we get put on full lockdown, runners can still run.  Seems like all the pools are shutting down.

DavePNW

Someone around here who was signed up for the same race did a supported time trial around Green Lake (and ran 1:09). I can't imagine dodging crowds on that path at that speed Big grin

Woah! But probably not too crowded if you start early enough. And at least no street crossings to worry about.

I run with the Seattle Green Lake Running Group, which has a group run every Saturday AM starting at Green Lake, but for their Lake Sammamish replacement “time trial” they started at Gas Works and ran on the Burke-Gilman.

Dave