Twin Cities Marathon, Cold wet marathon. (Read 694 times)

Bugs

First, I get way to nervous about these races. I get a sore throat, the chills, dizzy spells, jaw locks up all from the stress of potentially being disappointed. It all seems to clear up after the race. I didn’t think it would rain, at least not till 11:00. I was stupid, and did not bring garbage bag with, it was silly to trust weather report. It rained from the start, light at first, felt good, but I was worried what would happen when my throw away shirt got soaked. Then it started raining heavy, and around the lakes it was really cold. Mile 8 I decided to throw my shirt away because it was completely wet, lots of people were running in tanks. By mile 12 I was getting worried, I was too cold. My legs were ice, and all I could think about was that this road leads to a warm shower. I had to tie my shoe, and struggle to get my hands to work. The volunteers all had rain jackets on and I stopped and asked if they had any extra, said I was worried I wasn’t going to make it. A volunteer said, “take mine.” I shook my head, “No I can’t take yours, I’ll be fine. She was firm, “No take mine, I’ll find another.” She saved me. I wore it till about mile 19. As far as pacing, the miles felt fast. I constantly tried to hold myself back, but with the cold I think everyone was trying to keep warm. Also I struggle to see my watch, I'd have to clear the water on the screen just to read it. The four hour pacer got ahead of me when I started to cramp, girl issues were not on my side today either. The last 10K my hip flexors were extremely tight and my calf muscles were acting up. It was a different suffering than my other two marathons. It wasn’t that my quads were so very tired and I was struggling to lift my legs. My legs just felt tight, and done with. Chip time 4:03 as I crossed the finishline, I was in tears because I knew that I was struggling out there and could have been even more off my goal. It was three minutes faster than when I ran it two years ago. Funny I ran Grandmas 2007 in 85F and ran a much better race, where I felt like I was still running at the end...I think I hobbled in this time. I'm OK with my time but a little unsure how the hell I’m going to get faster at this marathon running business. 1 8:14 - WTH? 2 9:04 3 8:58 4 8:48 5 8:32 6 8:55 7 8:48 8 8:51 9 9:00 10 8:49 11 8:56 12 9:25 <- stop="" and="" get="" rain="" jacket="" 13="" 8:52="" 14="" 9:03="" 15="" 8:50="" 16="" 10:10=""></-><-cramp, porto-potty="" stop="" 17="" 8:50="" 18="" 9:09="" 19="" 9:44=""></-cramp,><-cramp, porto-potty stop 20 8:48 21 9:06 22 9:26 23 10:11 24 9:58 25 9:26 26 9:52 porto-potty="" stop="" 20="" 8:48="" 21="" 9:06="" 22="" 9:26="" 23="" 10:11="" 24="" 9:58="" 25="" 9:26="" 26="" 9:52=""></-cramp, porto-potty stop 20 8:48 21 9:06 22 9:26 23 10:11 24 9:58 25 9:26 26 9:52 >

Bugs

Dave

Great job on a tough day Bugs. On a better day, on a flatter course, I have no doubt you'll hit your goal time. Keep up all the good work. Just the extra weight from the rainwater probably added those 3 minutes to your race Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congratulations! What a great effort under tough conditions!
        Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30

Queen of 3rd Place

Good job Bugs in that cold weather! I'm a weather wimp, too, if it's cold. You're going to have your perfect day soon! Arla PS I wish I could get a time like that!

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

Good job Bugs in that cold weather! I'm a weather wimp, too, if it's cold. You're going to have your perfect day soon! Arla PS I wish I could get a time like that!

Ex runner

redleaf

Sorry it was all so wet but I hope you are proud of yourself for what you accomplished! I am in awe!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Hey a new PR is a new PR. Congrats. Now if I were you I would look to see if in the next month another marathon was happening close to you. Might be nice to try it on a nice day since you have put all of this training in. Just a though.
                  2011 Goals:
                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

A Saucy Wench

sorry you had such a tough run, Congrats on a job well done!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

Hey a new PR is a new PR. Congrats. Now if I were you I would look to see if in the next month another marathon was happening close to you. Might be nice to try it on a nice day since you have put all of this training in. Just a though.
                    It was a course PR, my personal best is actually 3:58:46. Funny that was on less training in 85F heat & humidity. I know there are marathons close to me in the next week or two, but think four weeks would be better. If I find a good fit and my legs feel up to it, I'll consider it. On an upbeat note, I DNS this marathon last year due to injury. I was pretty careful not to get injured this year. I think I peaked a little early though. If my base in the spring had been bigger, I think I would have been able to train faster the months before. But who knows........

Bugs

Bugs, you did great....I read this closely because I exhibit the same symptoms prior to the marathon. Brrrr....kudos to that nice volunteer who gave you her jacket.
                        Excellent results under the circumstances, Great job!!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Menace to Sobriety

Good job Bugs

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Rain's not so bad...unless it's cold rain. Ick. It really sucks that you work so hard to prepare, then the running gods laugh at your plans and throw you a curve ball like that. Under those circumstances that's a damned nice effort and result Bugs, well done.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Prince of Fatness

With all of that misfortune you still managed to come within 5 minutes of your PR. Nice job.

Not at it at all. 

Nice race. To come that close to your PR with the conditions is great!!!
                                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com