Your first 100 miler (Read 238 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

For those who have already done it, what was your training background right before training for your first 100? Do you have certain number of shorter races under your belt (50 miles, 100ks...etc), or run certain # of weekly miles already, or other types of milestones?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Started from scratch.

And, even though it didn't work out, I have no regrets.

Liz

pace sera, sera

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

For those who have already done it, what was your training background right before training for your first 100? Do you have certain number of shorter races under your belt (50 miles, 100ks...etc), or run certain # of weekly miles already, or other types of milestones?

I wish I would have had your yearly mileage for my 100! Not my any means will you be starting from scratch.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ojo

I kind of jumped onto it without much long distance experience.  I had (and still only have done) one 50 mile race before attempting 100 miles.  My first was not successful, but mainly because of the muddy conditions.  The next 3 have been successful.  I am a consistent runner and usually don't run anything longer that 50k before races.  I guess in most people's minds I am not ready/undertrained, but it works for me! 

Good luck!

Sara

MM #2929

Holy Smokes Wing, your log is impressive. I had nowhere near that amount of miles. My only 100 attempt was a 24 hour race where I ran only 82 miles. My training was interrupted by 2 bouts of lung surgery 6 weeks before the race. Longest run in the previous 4 months was 13 miles.

The 100 ,for me anyway, is about pure dogged determination, feeding, drinking, and relentless forward progress. No stopping except to use the restroom or change clothes or fix your feet. Remember, a overall 14:24 pace gets you to 100 miles in 24 hours. If you don't dwell at aid stations.

You are totally more prepared than I was.

Started from scratch.

And, even though it didn't work out, I have no regrets.

I saw this video a few years ago.  He's a little bit of a cooky guy, but he's also an accomplished ultra runner. If he could do it all over again, he said he would begin by training for the mile (Start at 2:07).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I saw this video a few years ago.  He's a little bit of a cooky guy, but he's also an accomplished ultra runner. If he could do it all over again, he said he would begin by training for the mile (Start at 2:07).

I like that, but then I started with the mile many years ago. I've yet to get to the point where 100 miles is within my reach, at least and still be able to finish under the cutoff, so my first 100 is still a dream that may or may not be fulfilled.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Holy Smokes Wing, your log is impressive. I had nowhere near that amount of miles. My only 100 attempt was a 24 hour race where I ran only 82 miles. My training was interrupted by 2 bouts of lung surgery 6 weeks before the race. Longest run in the previous 4 months was 13 miles.

The 100 ,for me anyway, is about pure dogged determination, feeding, drinking, and relentless forward progress. No stopping except to use the restroom or change clothes or fix your feet. Remember, a overall 14:24 pace gets you to 100 miles in 24 hours. If you don't dwell at aid stations.

You are totally more prepared than I was.

+1.The training was the hard part.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

From 2004 - 2010 - 22 marathons. Ran my first ultra in 2006, a 60K. Then ran five 50Ks, three 50 milers, and one 100K before completing my first 100 miler in 2010. So far I have completed eight 100 milers, no DNFs. Overall mileage has varied quite a bit. I used to run more in the 60s - 70s and now it is more 50s - 60s. I've run sub-3 marathons so maybe that is why I get away with less milage. The hundreds I have done so far have taken 20 - 28 hours. Typically between 22 - 23 hours depending on the difficulty. Thankfully I haven't had to worry about cutoffs. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me or post here.

Your base looks good to me. You are already running as much as I typically do in a year. I'm running my next 100 miler in November.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Wing

Joggaholic

Thank you all for the info. I don't have much ultra experience, did a 50 mile once and two 12hr (52 and 60 miles), so I'm still contemplating if going to a 100 is too big a jump. I'm looking at Rocky Racoon in Feb, which is probably the least technical of the available races nearby.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Since you've already gone 60 miles in a 12-hour race, running a 100K wouldn't add much as far as distance or time. Is there a 24-hour race that you could fit in?  That should get you close to 100M if not over and the logistics are often a lot simpler so you have less that could go wrong.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

On On

I like that, but then I started with the mile many years ago. I've yet to get to the point where 100 miles is within my reach, at least and still be able to finish under the cutoff, so my first 100 is still a dream that may or may not be fulfilled.

Many runners come to 3 Days at the Fair and enter the 48 or 72 hour race just to finish their first 100 mile.  Some enter the 72 just so they can finish their first 200 mile.

Many runners come to 3 Days at the Fair and enter the 48 or 72 hour race just to finish their first 100 mile.  Some enter the 72 just so they can finish their first 200 mile.

Some come to see how long they can hold a 6:50 pace.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Kalsarikännit

Thank you all for the info. I don't have much ultra experience, did a 50 mile once and two 12hr (52 and 60 miles), so I'm still contemplating if going to a 100 is too big a jump. I'm looking at Rocky Racoon in Feb, which is probably the least technical of the available races nearby.

Bandera 100k in early January is a great race to do before Rocky Raccoon. It has the same RD, and is an amazing, beautiful, and tough race (you will spend a few extra hours out there compared to the average 100k). Lots of people doing RR100 will be at that race. (This was my route to my first 100, btw).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Mmmmm...beer

Good timing for this thread, I just signed up yesterday for my first 100 miler in May.  Smile

However, I'm jumping straight from 50k (training for my fourth one right now) to 100 miles.  My race isn't too aggresive tho, 5k loop on mild trails, so it's setup more like a 24 hour race.  I'll have a bunch of friends there that are doing the 8 man 100 mile relay (two teams of them actually), they're going to crew and pace for me.

I've already started playing with b2b LRs and they're working out really well.  No real training plan, other than to build up my mileage, get in plenty of 40-50 mile weekends, multiple 30+ singles and at least one 40-50 mile single.  I'm always open to advice tho.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!