Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Don't take off two days prior to your race.  Run easy miles but run and maybe throw in a couple of strides.

+1 

A couple of days off before a race leaves most people flat.  In fact, I wouldn't even take the day off before.  If you're gonna take one off, take off 2 days before the race, then run easy with strides the day before.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Way to go for it Afty. There's still lots of summer and fall left this year. So, plenty of time for a redemption race.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

MoBramExam

I'm not sure what lessons to take from this besides that I wasn't able to hold that pace on that day.  I'm pretty close, and a more conservative start probably would have let me run 20:15 or so.  Hell, if I could have have just pushed through that last mile, even at a slow pace, I probably would have hit 20:30.  I did get a good lesson on what 5k pace should feel like: slightly easier than this.

Nice race report.

I think kencamet makes some really good points.  (Of course they're good, he's fast.)  I too think you'll get much faster with weekly consistency.  As the miles add up over time, you'll become much more fit and a strong finish will cease being an issue.  Plus you'll benefit from racing more 5Ks.  Also, you're a young guy, so you can recover quicker and build faster.  From recent personal experience, after ditching the ideas of a "goal pace", "first mile split", and looking at my Garmin during a 5K, I've run two of my three best 5K times.

You're beating yourself up for taking the walk break.  Remember this feeling and let it motivate you next time the urge hits.  Back on the horse tomorrow, you're a lock to get there.

On a different note, I got to meet a bunch of RA guys there last night.  BadDawg, mikeymike, Bucci, and lostinthenet3.  They're all nice guys who are crazy runners, and I'm looking forward to running with them again.  I really liked the swamp singlets you guys had.  May have to get one.  Smile

Lucky guy.

mikeymike

Great to meet you, Afty, thanks for coming out.  Thanks for the feedback on the race and I'm glad you liked it.  I wish I could have socialized more but it was a busy night...

And congrats on your race.  I agree with a lot of the other feedback but espcially with Lank (you're closer than you think) and with kencamet  (don't take 2 days totally off from running before a race and always run your race.)

On a perfectly flat course, you might have been okay with a 6:27 opening mile but since the only 2 minor uphills on that course are in the first mile, that 6:27 was probably the equivalen effort of a sub 6:20 so you were bound to pay in the 3rd mile.  The grass finish was also a little slower than normal last night due to all the rain we've had so that probably cost a few seconds.

All in all though a good effort and you'll get sub 20 soon I think.

Runners run

Good report.  Keep it up.  You are very close.  And one good thing about 5k is that there are usually lots of them so you will get another opportunity soon.

I'm not sure what lessons to take from this besides that I wasn't able to hold that pace on that day.  I'm pretty close, and a more conservative start probably would have let me run 20:15 or so.  Hell, if I could have have just pushed through that last mile, even at a slow pace, I probably would have hit 20:30.  I did get a good lesson on what 5k pace should feel like: slightly easier than this.

On a different note, I got to meet a bunch of RA guys there last night.  BadDawg, mikeymike, Bucci, and lostinthenet3.  They're all nice guys who are crazy runners, and I'm looking forward to running with them again.  I really liked the swamp singlets you guys had.  May have to get one.  Smile

+1

+1 

A couple of days off before a race leaves most people flat.  In fact, I wouldn't even take the day off before.  If you're gonna take one off, take off 2 days before the race, then run easy with strides the day before.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your advice and encouragement. 

I agree that taking the two days before the race totally off was probably not the right thing to do.  Next time I will do an easy run with some striders the day before.  I'm still trying to figure out how to "taper" for these short races.

I am pretty pissed at myself for walking.  Somehow it seemed like a better decision at the time than slowing way down.  I was pretty deeply in oxygen debt and not thinking clearly.  I will remember this feeling for the next time that urge hits.

This is one of the things I love about 5ks.  They're short enough and common enough that you can run a whole bunch of them in a season and figure out what works and what doesn't.  It's a great way to learn how to race.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I agree that taking the two days before the race totally off was probably not the right thing to do.  Next time I will do an easy run with some striders the day before.  I'm still trying to figure out how to "taper" for these short races.

Don't taper for short races.  Or rather, taper intensity (i.e. don't do a really hard workout within the last 2~3 days of the race), but don't taper mileage.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

kcam

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your advice and encouragement. 

I am pretty pissed at myself for walking.  Somehow it seemed like a better decision at the time than slowing way down.  I was pretty deeply in oxygen debt and not thinking clearly.  I will remember this feeling for the next time that urge hits.

This is one of the things I love about 5ks.  They're short enough and common enough that you can run a whole bunch of them in a season and figure out what works and what doesn't.  It's a great way to learn how to race.

Afty, don't think I was putting you down for walking after you realized you weren't going to make your goal.  One of the most important things for racing a 5K is to not let down when you're feeling like you want to stop.  I think all of us feel like stopping, walking, slowing down in mile 3.  It's a mental thing to work on - that last mile you have to keep cranking away even in a race that you realize your goal is blown.  It'll help you for your next one. 

Here's something to think about from Pete Magill's blog, I believe there is some truth to this theory:

http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/07/morning-read-to-train-in-membrane.html

I walked one time in a 5k race. It was my 3rd ever 5k race back in high school.

I saw a guy walking in front of me during mile 3 and thought "Oh great that looks alot better than gutting it out" so I walked for 15 seconds or so. I have never done so in a race since. You are allowed one mulligan. After this realize that you won't do it again. Once you get a dozen or so races in a row without walking you realize you will never do this again.

Even a shuffle of 5 mph will save you 10-15 seconds from your walking. And you can recover after 30 seconds or so of shuffling.

I also find that taking a day off before a race leaves me feeling like a fish out of water on race day.

A 3 mile very easy run the day before a race (or more depending on your weekly mileage) keeps me sharp.

I take it easy the 2nd or 3rd day before a race.

This is based on logs of my weekly mileage and 5k races....so I am confident what works best for me.

I race Sunday....today I did 3 very easy miles.

Tomorrow the day before the race I intend to do 5 easy miles (not all at once... maybe 3 in the AM and 2 in the PM.)

I think the biggest thing for 5k races though is your warmup for your 5k.

For my warmup I will run for 12 minutes about 2 minutes slower than 5k pace...starting about 40 minutes before the race. Then I stretch for 3 minutes... then I run 3 minutes at just a tad slower than 5k pace.

This brings my pre race warmup to around 2 miles after a few striders 5-10 minutes before the race start.

If you end your warmup too early it cold leave you stiff....if you end your warmup too late you could tire yourself out.....trial and error to find what works best for you. After that it is a confidence boost like a placebo (even if it doesn't really help you, you will think it does).

My raceday forecast is 66 degrees, 84% humidity,,, wind 10 mph....partly cloudy. I just hope the wind is a crosswind. If so it cannot get much better than that for late July.

I think the article makes a lot of sense, especially after my recent tempo run experience.  Thanks

Afty, don't think I was putting you down for walking after you realized you weren't going to make your goal.  One of the most important things for racing a 5K is to not let down when you're feeling like you want to stop.  I think all of us feel like stopping, walking, slowing down in mile 3.  It's a mental thing to work on - that last mile you have to keep cranking away even in a race that you realize your goal is blown.  It'll help you for your next one. 

Here's something to think about from Pete Magill's blog, I believe there is some truth to this theory:

http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/07/morning-read-to-train-in-membrane.html

I found myself with a sore throat late last night.

I am feeling a little weak today....I should be able to run okay tomorrow.

I just need to take it easy and rest today. I will still try to get in at least 3 miles this afternoon.

Michigan, hope you will not have this little problem tomorrow.  Lots of water, vitamin C!

I found myself with a sore throat late last night.

I am feeling a little weak today....I should be able to run okay tomorrow.

I just need to take it easy and rest today. I will still try to get in at least 3 miles this afternoon.

MoBramExam

MoBramExam!!!

You need to be my coach...get in my face on raceday and slap some sense into me.

SLAP, SLAP.

I am feeling better. I really tried to rest and drink OJ and water yesterday.

I got lots of sleep and only have a sore throat now.

I feel good about my chances for a sub 20.

If my energy level can hold out for 20 minutes I should break the barrier today.

Race is in 1 hour 45 minutes.

I am leaving here in about 15 minutes.

I am PUMPED!